Pull the trigger or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a long time Cruiser owner with a dream not sure if it is reality or not. I own a 06 Tacoma, 73 40 series, 97 80 series, and a pile of a 60. I bought a the 80 last spring hoping to buy it fix it and sell it for a buck or too.

I fixed it but spent a little more then I had anticipated and the body was rougher then I thought. I probably could sell it for very little profit or none at all. The 80 has been abused by a family with kids for the last seven years (food in every crack and crevice scratched the hell out of the body). It has 170,000 miles. Mechanically it is sound so far. Probably the best part is it is rust free.

I got her driving and have been driving it and have fell in love with it. Holy Cow they drive nice. I also am a new Dad and love the extra room.

So my dream is to sell my Tacoma and make a Daily Driver/Expedition/Light Rock Crawler. I would love to drive to Moab, Rubicon or go on a family camping trip 1500 miles away.

Am I Crazy to sell my reliable Tacoma (88,000 Miles) to fund my 80 project? My wife kinda gets nervous making a 170000 mile vehicle for my daily driver. I need some encouragement or discouragement for any of you that have been through the same experience. I enjoy working on Cruisers so that is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Sounds good as long as your prepared. I've always kept two vehicles in case one broke. And Ive sold good trucks for bad trucks but I'll never do that again.

Dang, I could have written that original post!! In my case, I've got an '01 Tacoma DoubleCab that I bought brand new, but have been a Cruiser fan since a friend I grew up with bought a brand new FJ40 in 1983. Anyway, I've got an LX450 with 142k miles that I've owned for a month. I've done a bunch of maintenance and have a few things left to do, but the ultimate goal is exactly what you mention - DD/expedition (camping trips to the Smokies with the family)/light rock crawling. I've done the hardcore rock crawling in the past with SFA Toyota pickups and just can't see doing that with a DD.

I am also nervous about cutting the cord and selling the Tacoma, but my current thinking is "life is too short to drive boring vehicles". In my case, my backup vehicle will be my 1976 Porsche 911 modified for track use... :)

Hopefully someone with real-world experience will chime in, but my thinking is that once all of the basic maintenance items are out of the way, these things should be pretty reliable and suit the DD function well?

Since you are looking for honest feedback from a neutral party I would have to say that selling the Tacoma would be a mistake.

I just went through this whether or not to buy a 78 FJ40. In my gut I knew it didn't make sense.

I will leave you with a quote from one of my college buddies. When I would ask his advice, with all sincerity, he would say "Do what you want, you will anyway.":cheers:

ditch the 60

Eggsactly!! Why would you need two station wagons?

He is looking for funds to complete his 80, selling a beat to crap 60 won't get him more than tires on the 80;)

If you want to do this and it won't put your family in a bind, then do it. The big guy only gives us one go around so max out the one shot you have:clap:

Dunno why but Tacos have hi resales value .. while 80 are going down .. it is IMHO matter of age .. but I would keep a reliable truck at home .. while you are working on your 80 and bringing back to it's top shape, having an extra transport method allow you to order parts and perform repairs as it should be with no rush .. specially if you are a new dad = lot less time to spend with cars ..

:meh: I don't think it's crazy. I DD my 80 with 176k on it, and would easily trust it for trips like that.

I sold a 2000 tundra with 100k for an lx450 with 165k on it and have never looked back. I'm a dad with two small kids and love the room of the 450 and it wheels me wherever I need to go on or off road. also picked up a 86 Toyota 2wd as a knock around /trash truck, so I our needs are covered. I agree life is to short not to drive cruiser.

I would look at from a cost / benefit perspective as well in regards to your family. Insurance, payments, maint., etc.

Does your wife drive one of the vehicles listed or does she have a reliable DD?

Great feedback guys! The 60 is an 82 with 345,000 miles I bought for $350 at a farm auction. That will probably not even buy tires for the 80 if I sell it. I think I am going to use that around the farm truck to throw a deer in or tools (No carpet in the back).

I get bored with the truck everyone else owns. I do love the Tacoma its been a great truck but I cant go on any serious trail runs with the club because I am worried Ill bash some sheet metal. I have the Tacoma paid off so it should not effect the family. It will probably put some cash in the bank actually. I have contiplated selling the 40 too. Its not the cleanest and it has a 350. Fun to drive but miss the reliability of the 2f. Plus my Dad has two 40s that are very clean and original that I could buy or inherit down the road.

I think the 80 would suit my family well as the 40 would not. If the 1fzfe dies I have always wanted a diesel.

As for having a backup. The 40 drives great and I have a work vehicle that I drive the majority of the time and my wives car is available.

Don't get scared of DD'ing the 80. I drove my 80 with 240k miles from Dallas to Florida for a week of family beach fun - and left my wifes brand new Honda Pilot sitting home in the garage. :D

Ditch the 60 and the 40 (and the parts you've been hording), keep the Taco and the 80. Having a truck is uber useful. Let's tidy up that garage a tad, shall we? :)

You're wife's concern is valid, but if you bring the maintenance up to date, no reason why her confidence shouldn't rise over time. The 80s are fantastic hwy rigs, just don't look at that gas bill! I still flog my 80 like I stole it every chance I get.

I am not scared of daily driving an 80. I had an Fj62 with over 200,000. I drove that thing everywhere with confidence. This forum has made me a little hesitant with scary words like head gasket. I think this motor is good and I don't have a lead foot. Lets face it Cruisers are not made to go fast and I am fine with that.

What do you guys think would be a good lift and tire size? I was thinking four inch with 35's. But every time I lift a truck I wish it was a hair taller so a six inch with 37s would be cool too. But that would add more expense with gears and chromoly birfs and shafts.

2.5"-3.5" lift w/ 35's I think is a great combo. IMHO

2.5"-3.5" lift w/ 35's I think is a great combo. IMHO

Yep. Good n cheap. After that the costs escalate very quickly.

Sell everything other than the 80 and one other vehicle. I'd vote taco and 40, keep the beater 60 since it has zero cost to keep. Wife's car will work if you need to go out with the family when/if your other vehicles are down.

I sold my 2003 Tacoma to buy an 80. I loved the Tacoma and selling it was one of the hardest things i ever did. But with a growing family i realized i wouldn't get to drive it much and it does me no good sitting in the driveway. I wish i still had it, but i don't regret selling it.

I'd say sell anything you're not going to drive at least once a week and drive the sh!t out of everything you keep!

Yeah the Tacoma would sit a lot. Having a truck bed for stuff is nice I was thinking a pickup bed trailer for hauling junk and other choirs the wife has.

Whatever you do get the head gasket done and over with.
I constantly worried about mine and it finally went out while my wife
was driving it.

She didn't know the signs and the temp sensor was already
bad (no reading on temp gauge) and drove it home sputtering. Said it was driving
funny, so I drove it the next day to work to see what it was doing. Cold Feb morning and it
seemed to run fine. Get off at 2am and no heat at all. I knew what was up then and pulled over
to bubbling coolant. Tow to shop the next day after catching a ride home with my partner from work.
$1700 later head gasket done, new temp sensor, knock sensor and head leveled.

Now I drive it without worry and the Ultragauge gives me peace of mind being able to see real time
temps. and warnings.

Whatever you do get the head gasket done and over with.
I constantly worried about mine and it finally went out while my wife
was driving it.

She didn't know the signs and the temp sensor was already
bad (no reading on temp gauge) and drove it home sputtering. Said it was driving
funny, so I drove it the next day to work to see what it was doing. Cold Feb morning and it
seemed to run fine. Get off at 2am and no heat at all. I knew what was up then and pulled over
to bubbling coolant. Tow to shop the next day after catching a ride home with my partner from work.
$1700 later head gasket done, new temp sensor, knock sensor and head leveled.

Now I drive it without worry and the Ultragauge gives me peace of mind being able to see real time
temps. and warnings.

I agree with getting all this & all other PM/baselining done, then it's time to go on a selling spree. Personally I'd keep either the truck for deer hauling or the nicer 40 & get the other one on the market ASAP - 40's sell better in summer than in sub-freezing temps.

I'd def ditch the 60 & the more worn out 40, especially if the ones you might inherit aren't even as nice as the nicest one you have. Even basketcase 40's are good for $1500-$2K out here. That's all the headgasket & ton more parts towards baseline on the 80. If gas prices pop up again, you might regret selling the Taco, esp since you already paid the sales tax on it (people always forget about that it seems)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom