To Turbo or Not Turbo? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s my thread, it needs an update:

On the transgo, I managed to dislodge the little gasket on the transmission filter and it blocked the pickup hole, which quickly caused the clutches to weld themselves together. Dumb mistake. I put a new (used) transmission in and swapped over the modified valve body but it still didn’t work right. I think I either drilled the wrong hole or something. Whatever it was I screwed out up somehow. I was rushing when I should’ve been taking my time. Anyway, I put the new valve body back in and it’s been working great since.

I made the j-pipe myself by mocking it up on an old engine I had.

img_2446-jpeg.2965771

The fuel pump died when the truck sat for 3 years while I remodeled my house. I replaced it with a crappy one from napa, which also died. I also had issues with the fuel pump resistor dying. Then my fuel return line clogged, again from sitting so long. Got all that fixed and I’m now running a walbro pump off the haltech instead of the stock fuel pump circuit which doesnt play nice with aftermarket pumps (oem has hi and low modes depending on certain conditions and the walbro doesnt like the low voltage mode). I also installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from radium engineering with a gauge.

exhaust leak was from the gasket between the stock headers and the j pipe. oem uses some ring gaskets that sit in a groove which didnt work well. I switched to some squishy 2" diamond shaped ones that also helped seal where the flanges had warped when they were welded.

I am using a wideband and map sensor, tuned by a guy in town who does a lot of supras and also owns an 80.

Injectors are stock, refurbished during the rebuild by Witch Hunter.

The stock injectors are good for plenty of power from what I hear. Also, the bottom end is good for tons of power as well with only some better head studs. I’m shooting for 350-400ish before I upgrade studs, injectors, etc.

mine is a 97 so obd2

I've been working on this truck on and off for 6-7 years. Started the turbo part about 2 years ago, but I have had a few big life events that have required me to start and stop for long stretches.

A new trasgo kit just arrived today. I’m going to try to do it this weekend and then I’ll get back to the dyno for some final numbers. After sorting out the fuel and exhaust problems I can tell the truck is a lot more powerful so I’m excited to see the numbers. I wasn’t able to get a good run last session because of those two issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom