Builds Oman -> SoCal 1995 FZJ75 Troopy (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great upgrade. I need to do something similar to my HZJ78

Great upgrade. I need to do something similar to my HZJ78
Georg, do you know if it's possible to roll back an odometer? Nothing nefarious, but just wanna make this one match.

Shouldn't be too difficult to partially disassemble the odometer mechanism to get at the number counter wheels. I did it once years ago with an old VW odometer to make it match the vehicle it was being installed in.

I disassembled the odometer on my 45 once. This thread might be of help, not a 70 series, but probably similar enough.

Georg, do you know if it's possible to roll back an odometer? Nothing nefarious, but just wanna make this one match.
It’s too easy. I replaced the one in my 75 and matched the new odometer to the old one exactly. It’s in the 75 build thread in my signature line. Lots of photos.

Zee had to have his connections in Pakistan do some creative solutions to get the tach to work, but honestly I don't care what they had to do to make it work.

View attachment 3585841

View attachment 3585842

View attachment 3585843

View attachment 3585844
I'd be real, real interested in the details and theory on how he got the tach to work. Everything from where the sensor is located and the why and how of the wiring. I've got three 70s where I am really missing having a tach

Do you have a speedometer cluster that doesn't have a tach? Doesn't have an oil gauge, doesn't have a battery voltage, goes to 200kph when that's totally excessive?

Well do I have good news for you! With the help of @Zee and @dzehner12 I was able to get this upgraded cluster to work in my troopy!

I have the wiring manual, but was told by @dzehner12 that this was relatively plug and play except for the oil pressure sender. The one on our troopy's is a single wire, the one for these clusters is a two wire sender. The plug is right next to the oil pressure sender, but I don't have the correct part to replace mine right now, so I just disconnected it.

More pics to follow.

View attachment 3585836

View attachment 3585837

View attachment 3585838

View attachment 3585839

View attachment 3585840
Thank you sir I’m glad everything worked out.
I’m glad you’re satisfied with parts and service. 😊

I'd be real, real interested in the details and theory on how he got the tach to work. Everything from where the sensor is located and the why and how of the wiring. I've got three 70s where I am really missing having a tach
If you need some help with Parts. I’ll be more than happy to help you. You can send me a personal message if you like.

John I'll shoot you a message in whatsapp, but doesn't seem to be anything too difficult. Couple extra wires/solder and good to go it looks like based on the pictures.

Believe this tach is from a non 75 vehicle, you can see in the pictures above where they cut through a larger motherboard to get just this tach.

So, you're gonna need to change the oil pressure sender out with this new tach. I got mine off ebay, 98% sure it's not OEM despite the ad saying OEM. That's another thing for another day.

IMG_7310.jpeg

IMG_7311.jpeg

IMG_7312.jpeg

Reactions: flx
Went through and was trying to get my odometer to roll back to what's on my current dash. Have you ever tried to manually rewind an odometer for 110k KM every single km? I decided it wasn't worth the 40 hours of my time that would take me and just rolled the odometer back to 110k over my current one.

IMG_7324.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg

IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7322.jpeg

I also figured out how to get rid of that annoying t-belt light!

Just remove the entire unit!

Great use of this cast iron sitting in my garage!

IMG_7316.jpeg

IMG_7317.jpeg

IMG_7318.jpeg

IMG_7326.jpeg

So, you're gonna need to change the oil pressure sender out with this new tach. I got mine off ebay, 98% sure it's not OEM despite the ad saying OEM. That's another thing for another day.

View attachment 3589264

View attachment 3589266

View attachment 3589267

I'll see your 98% and raise you 3%. I.e. I'm 101% that is a bogus eBay Toyota part. :D Suuuuuuuper common on Amazon and eBay these days. To be fair we got some bogus stuff from Amayama too. The font/label is goofy an the construction and color of the part are wrong, plus Toyota likes to stamp production information on their sending units.

1711223294529.png

I'll see your 98% and raise you 3%. I.e. I'm 101% that is a bogus eBay Toyota part. :D Suuuuuuuper common on Amazon and eBay these days. To be fair we got some bogus stuff from Amayama too. The font/label is goofy an the construction and color of the part are wrong, plus Toyota likes to stamp production information on their sending units.

View attachment 3589303
I called the seller out in an ebay message and he immediately refunded me my full purchase price. So I've got that going for me.

Another dumb question... is it possible to run a dual battery setup in a petrol narrow nose 70? Looking at my engine bay, I cannot fathom where I'd put a second battery.

Another dumb question... is it possible to run a dual battery setup in a petrol narrow nose 70? Looking at my engine bay, I cannot fathom where I'd put a second battery.

Many models came with factory dual batteries (24V) and with modern AGM/LiFePO4/etc options with much smaller form factory, it’s totally workable for most under hood situations.

I'd think yes. I've got dual batteries, but am a 14BT (was 3BII). I've got dual batteries in our 80, which is 1FZ, had to move the windshield washer reservoir to do it. I've thought about moving my house battery to the the engine bay, so I'd have three batteries in there. I'd just need to go with a smaller battery to get it to fit.

20201109_190138 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom