Builds Workingman's Troopy - 1995 HZJ75 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everything looks fantastic, I’m not sure of your lead-acid vs. AGM conclusion, though? Generally AGM handles low-voltage situations better than lead-acid.

Well, my thoughts on AGM are that they require more aggressive and dependable higher voltage charging, or they die. Not right away, but a lot faster than you'd like. I'm sure this is what happened to the Optima. I have an AGM in my FJ Cruiser but I chipped the fuse box to get higher voltage charging from the alternator. With 2 panels going in to the battery, I might actually have been able to use AGM but I had bought a lead acid planning on putting it under the hood and since I had I decided to go with that. The heat under the hood is also hard on AGM's. I may get a lithium next time - they get better and cheaper every year.

Truck is really coming along well!!

I used one of the enclosed National Luna Portable power packs in one of my first dual set ups, it worked great. I eventually and reluctantly went to an underhood set up which is good, but far more complicated. Looks as you have essentially installed a similar set up as to the portable.

Thanks John - the thing I will probably wind up doing is running a heavier cable to the rear, as mentioned, and using a BCDC charger like the Redarc to integrate alternator and solar. Renogy has one too, at about half the price, but Redarc stuff is made for hard offroad use and can be put under the hood if needed. But I'm going to see if the dead simple - really basic and foolproof - setup I have now actually lets me down first. It'll be interesting to see how a fridge strains the system when I take it out west.

Thanks John - the thing I will probably wind up doing is running a heavier cable to the rear, as mentioned, and using a BCDC charger like the Redarc to integrate alternator and solar. Renogy has one too, at about half the price, but Redarc stuff is made for hard offroad use and can be put under the hood if needed. But I'm going to see if the dead simple - really basic and foolproof - setup I have now actually lets me down first. It'll be interesting to see how a fridge strains the system when I take it out west.
If you haven’t, I would also check the alternator to make certain it is up to the challenge of charging dual batteries.

In retrospect, I think a better alternator is a better investment than expensive batteries, plus Deka makes a nice lead battery for boats you can pick up for less than $150, (I paid $125 each this Spring for my boat after getting tired of paying for Optimas) available at several marine shops.

I sold my portable power pack to a friend for a trip West in his 60 with an LS conversion and he had issues with the second battery staying above 12 volts halfway there, he bought a new battery and still didn’t solve the issue. Turned out to be a weak alternator, as soon as he replaced it everything worked great.

I had a voltage regulator go bad my first trip West on my 80 with an oldish stock Alternator after I changed mine, the next year on the Swell run another 80 who had just done a dual battery install lost an alternator the first day.

It is probably overlooked, so Paul mentions in his video’s and NL lists the alternator as one of the first components to check to make sure it is up to the challenge before the installation, I kinda learned the lesson backwards.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing it in action!!!

Yep! It's the stock alternator. I do need to check it, and will. So far the starting battery kicks off like a grenade so I don't anticipate any problems, but still. Part of the reason I was glad to get the aux battery off of the alternator for the forseeable future.

Ditto on the Deka batteries - you're the only other person I've ever known who knows about them. They seem like a steal of a deal. I may put a pair on my sailboat.

Hijacking your build thread to talk about batteries 😂 sorry!
But why don’t you (I mean this in plural form, broadly towards the forum) buy batteries from Costco? One doesn’t really have to worry about longevity as if it stops holding a charge within IIRC 5 years you can just take it back.

Haha - don't worry - it's hardly a "build" thread when the truck's basically already built.

I have actually looked there. We used to have a membership. Honestly, I went with Napa because they had the largest capacity group 35 at the best price, and the starting batt was also a Napa Legend. They would have matched. :princess: But when I discovered I couldn't close the hood on it, it went to the rear, which was actually the better option anyway - shorter cable runs, cooler environment, etc.

You're right, Costco has great batteries, made by Interstate I think. And as long as you're near a large metro area they're all over the place.

Another fan of deka batteries. Good priced and reliable. My last napa legends sucked so that was disappointing as the ones before lasted forever. Maybe a bad batch?

Hijacking your build thread to talk about batteries 😂 sorry!
But why don’t you (I mean this in plural form, broadly towards the forum) buy batteries from Costco? One doesn’t really have to worry about longevity as if it stops holding a charge within IIRC 5 years you can just take it back.
Same goes for Batteries Plus. Their stores are everywhere at least out west and they are eager to please. Think the warranty is only 4 years tho. Yummy X2Power/Northstar brand.

Costco Canada warranty is quite good, for their branded or Energizer-branded batteries:

0-to-60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-to-80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-to-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

"Buy it and forget it".

What brand is the antenna? Rugged love it
Alamosa. Had to wait a while for it to be delivered.

You're right, Costco has great batteries, made by Interstate I think. And as long as you're near a large metro area they're all over the place.
Johnson Controls might make about 80% of the batteries in the world, among them are Interstate, Costco, Everstart, Diehard, Motorcraft the list goes on.
Johnson supplies the batteries for Toyota, if its good enough for them,,,,,,, the lowest price i have found is Everstart at walmart, project farm did an extensive test on a few popular batteries and found Everstart to be a quality flooded battery. flooded is fine by me since its what was available when my Troopy was made, the Alt doesnt put out enough volts to properly charge anything else and i dont feel like making things complicated on this rig.

Another fan of deka batteries. Good priced and reliable. My last napa legends sucked so that was disappointing as the ones before lasted forever. Maybe a bad batch?
maybe a bad batch, Napa is also an East Penn

not saying there arent different quality levels of battery from one producer, but who knows.

Johnson Controls might make about 80% of the batteries in the world, among them are Interstate, Costco, Everstart, Diehard, Motorcraft the list goes on.
Johnson supplies the batteries for Toyota, if its good enough for them,,,,,,, the lowest price i have found is Everstart at walmart, project farm did an extensive test on a few popular batteries and found Everstart to be a quality flooded battery. flooded is fine by me since its what was available when my Troopy was made, the Alt doesnt put out enough volts to properly charge anything else and i dont feel like making things complicated on this rig.

Exactly how I see it too.

"The wheels turned 'round
And the letters read
Better not drive in Tennessee, Jed"

-- just kidding. Best O' Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom