1995 HZJ75 Troopy Engine swap options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently imported a 1995 HZJ75 from Tanzania. 555,000 KM on the ticker and overall running and driving well.

Thinking down the road, one of my goals will be an engine swap both for reliability and to make driving our mountainous highways easier (unlike when I was in Africa, I do want to go over mountain passes at more than 35mph.)

My build goals in general are to upgrade capability and function while keeping its overall feel as true to an African Safari truck as I can. For that reason would prefer to keep it diesel if possible.

I would love to know people's thoughts on various swap options.
(and could also use an inexpensive set of wheels if you have some sitting around.)
4 (1).jpeg

I’d just live in the slow lane with the 1HZ :D

Otherwise, if you decide you don’t care about it being a diesel, swap in an American V8, an LS. Parts availability everywhere.

Engine swaps can get expensive quickly , your budget will probably decide what your next engine will be or just add a turbo to your 1HZ and hope it will go forever

1HD-T is the closest to a “drop in” turbo diesel for that car. Motor mounts and bell housing should line right up. If you decide to go with a turbo for the 1HZ, be careful. Modest boost and monitor EGT’s.

What’s wrong with those wheels? They’re high quality Toyota OEM. Run 235/85-16 on them and be done. Just my $.02.

Hello,

As is said above, engine swaps can become complicated quickly.

A 1HD engine fits right in, without much work. You may need to replace the transmission and use an H15X.

Another option is a low-pressure turbo and an altitude compensator. Maybe an intercooler as well. The 1HZ is an IDI diesel, and as such it cannot handle additional heat very well.

Remember that owning a 70 Series implies living life on the slow lane.

Regarding the wheels, yours are high quality OEM steelies. Give them some TLC (and perhaps a powder coat) and put in good tires.

Juan

Last edited:
I put a 1HD-T into my 1999 HZJ75 and I love it.
Use the larger 1HDT flywheel with the Isuzu 300mm fine-spline clutch, for a bolt-in setup. You will also need to source the 1HD-T air filter housing lid.

To hell with driving in slow lane

My hdt truck does 85mph Comfortably. Anyone who thinks 70 is fast w long wheelbase needs head examined.

That said, 344,000 miles is not young for rest of steering, body, drivetrain. You are looking at many service items from door hinges to tie rods to rear prop shaft.

What is budget?

To answer a few of your questions, the issue with the wheels is they are pretty beat up. Couple weld spots, some obvious hammer work, holes for the studs out of round. They clearly are past their prime.

Ultimate plans will be couple inches of lift and possibly running 35s. Won't happen until after the engine swap. I prefer the tall, narrow tire look typical to Safari trucks. Only 35 inch tire that accomplishes that would be a 285/75R18, haven't researched if there is an 18 inch rim to run on the 70 series, especially one with a fairly plan, basic look to it. So at this point functional replacement rims are needed.

As to the engine swap, already aware it will not be an inexpensive under taking, including conversations about replacing transmission and transfer case at the same time (with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters here in the the Salt Lake area, whose crew has done an initial quick look over of the Troopy) . Since it will be used off-road once repairs and upgrades complete, driving the current engine until it dies isn't a great option. That could end up far more remote than I want a break down.

So my question really boils down to which is the best route for a swap, with price, performance and reliability all being factors. Keeping it diesel is ideal but not mandatory with the other factors considered.

From my current base, see this:

1) LS swap- common swap in a lot of rigs, good power, easy to access parts. Not a diesel.
2) Cummins 2.8 - fair power, mixed reviews on line for durability.
3) 1 Hd T- easiest to swap, keeps closest to original nature of the vehicle. Power similar to the Cummins.

Last edited:
Have a look at the posts from @Bogan in regards to his Cummins 2.8 swap. From his reports it sounds like it is great engine in a troopy.

17" rims open up options for tires. Kenda makes a talll skinny tire 35x10.5 for 17" rims. 255/80 R 17 and 285/75 R 17 are a nice somewhat tall/skinny tire size. There are a few 17" rims out there with correct offset but 4Runner or FJ cruiser take off steelies are cheap and only need a 1.25" spacer. I have the Kenda/4Runner rim combo and been happy with them. But if I was to do it over I would get the stock 70 series 16" steelies and 255/85 R 16; best combo out there.

Looking ahead, I often have the same thoughts for swaps as you do. Living in the rockies, I sometimes feels like I'm pushing my 1HZ a little too hard. I have the 1GR on my short list as well, since they are plentiful, and were also available in the 70 Series for a long time.

But then I go and drive it, and it is such good honest fun, that I forget all the fast and fancy possibilities...

The guys at Overland Cruisers in Belgrade Montana did an amazing job with my Cummins R2.8 swap. It's got more power and better fuel economy than a straight six from Toyota. The 2.8L pushes it just fine too, as evident with Toyota putting 2.8 small displacements in the new 70 line...

The guys at Overland Cruisers in Belgrade Montana did an amazing job with my Cummins R2.8 swap. It's got more power and better fuel economy than a straight six from Toyota. The 2.8L pushes it just fine too, as evident with Toyota putting 2.8 small displacements in the new 70 line...
thanks for chiming in!

Another thought I had, has anyone heard of doing a swap with a Cummins 5.0l (like is in the Nissan Titan)?

If you want to keep the HZ
-engine health check, compression etc
-new precups in the head ( and associated work )
-new bottom end bearings
-turbo+intercooler+tuned correctly......

Or just put a 1Hd-X in
287 75 r17 G003 yokohamas on rt51 black steelies
done

@SNLC has a 1HZ/R151F combo for sale (basically new). Sell your old 1HZ to someone who wants to rebuild and stay with the original spirit of your vehicle while gaining considerable confidence in reliability.

If you want to keep the HZ
-engine health check, compression etc
-new precups in the head ( and associated work )
-new bottom end bearings
-turbo+intercooler+tuned correctly......

Or just put a 1Hd-X in
287 75 r17 G003 yokohamas on rt51 black steelies
done

If you're going to do head work on the 1HZ and see cracked pre-cups then you might as well buy a new head, they fluctuate in the 1500-1600 range and include the pre-cups.....

Hopefully I have my p/n correct 11106-17020.....megazip has them listed for 190 each, amayama is like 120 each......replacements are about 1/3 the cost of a replacement head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom