Builds Oman -> SoCal 1995 FZJ75 Troopy (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went through and was trying to get my odometer to roll back to what's on my current dash. Have you ever tried to manually rewind an odometer for 110k KM every single km? I decided it wasn't worth the 40 hours of my time that would take me and just rolled the odometer back to 110k over my current one.

View attachment 3589272

View attachment 3589273

View attachment 3589274

View attachment 3589275
You were right there. All you had to do is pop that odometer axle and numbers out, unstack in order, and restack with the odometer reading you want. Assuming you weren't cleaning anything while in there (which I would btw), it would take less than 15 minutes.

You were right there. All you had to do is pop that odometer axle and numbers out, unstack in order, and restack with the odometer reading you want. Assuming you weren't cleaning anything while in there (which I would btw), it would take less than 15 minutes.
My ogre brain could not figure out how to do this without breaking it, so I live to fight another day.

Dash back together, A/C condenser reattached, glove box door put back on, and a car play workaround for now is in place.

Next on the list is installing the rear view camera and figuring out why the upgraded head unit I have will not get power.

When I brought the troopy it had an aftermarket stereo in it with some creative wiring solutions. need to dig through the electrical manual to figure out which wire is really which.

IMG_7343.jpeg

IMG_7341.jpeg

IMG_7342.jpeg

IMG_7345.jpeg

Does anyone have a good link to a fire extinguisher mount for the 70 series? Looking to add one to the truck.

Also a dedicated set of toyota plug leads for a multimeter so I can chase down my electrical gremlins.

Ended up going with this kit to start testing my wiring harness.

Yeah... that's gonna be the ticket on sorting things out.

Those pics you sent means you have your work cut out for you. Wiring harnesses are just a big logic puzzle... as you start getting the knack you'll move quicker. One thing I do as I'm sorting through issues is to draw a line-diagram as I go... noting things I know and don't know.

Another dumb question... is it possible to run a dual battery setup in a petrol narrow nose 70? Looking at my engine bay, I cannot fathom where I'd put a second battery.
i snagged a battery tray that’s driver front (I think that’s hzj location?) when I was at Fit but it does conflict with the power steering rez a fair bit. May be workable if you want it

When I ran the aftermarket ac I turned my battery 90 in stock location for ease, probably enough room to double in that corner but you’d need some custom fab work. I am rebuilding mine soon as I did it super quick, I’ll check dimensions and can throw one together for you if you’re interested

I’ll check dimensions and can throw one together for you if you’re interested
That would be great, thanks man!

Will have to compare Alu-Cab vs Alu-Innovations once my pop top gets in. Headed up the hill to Twentynine Palms starting this summer, so maybe we get together in Joshua Tree or something!

I had this into my quarter panels too and in the rear doors lol
my quarter panels were full of Omani mud/dirt. Running the hose into my rear panels for 30 minutes didn't get it all out!

Another dumb question.

Is there any reason I couldn't run OME leaf springs and Dobinson's IMS shocks? Combining the two will result in about a $1000 price reduction vice a full Dobinson's setup with their leafs.

Another dumb question.

Is there any reason I couldn't run OME leaf springs and Dobinson's IMS shocks? Combining the two will result in about a $1000 price reduction vice a full Dobinson's setup with their leafs.
Shouldn’t be a problem. I have the original Toyota springs in back, OME springs in front, OME shackles all around, and Radflo adjustable shocks. Rides sweet as. Spring rate and overall ride may be different between OME and Dobinson’s but shouldn’t present a problem. I do think that the Dobinson’s shocks are a winner over OME. I’d go with the savings.

Some one much smarter than me will likely chime in and prove me wrong or give you all kinds of technical info…

Shouldn’t be a problem. I have the original Toyota springs in back, OME springs in front, OME shackles all around, and Radflo adjustable shocks. Rides sweet as. Spring rate and overall ride may be different between OME and Dobinson’s but shouldn’t present a problem. I do think that the Dobinson’s shocks are a winner over OME. I’d go with the savings.

Some one much smarter than me will likely chime in and prove me wrong or give you all kinds of technical info…
Have a link to your radflo adjustables? I cannot stomach the $2500 just for adjustable dobinson's shocks.

Have a link to your radflo adjustables? I cannot stomach the $2500 just for adjustable dobinson's shocks.
I don’t, they are one of the great things the PO did before I got the truck. I can probably find a PN on them, but I have a feeling they cost at least that much, or more. People have been very pleased with the non-adjustable Dobinson IMS shocks too.

I don’t, they are one of the great things the PO did before I got the truck. I can probably find a PN on them, but I have a feeling they cost at least that much, or more. People have been very pleased with the non-adjustable Dobinson IMS shocks too.
Am I just being overly cheap? Does 2500 not seem high? Maybe i'm just not that into suspensions.

I should add, I’ve never looked into the Radflo’s and have no idea what they cost, so they may not be that much. They do ride great though. I don’t have a lot to compare it to, but it’s better than my 99 Tacoma with relatively new standard Bilstein’s.

No, you are not being overly cheap. That’s a lot of money.

Another dumb question.

Zero reason. We very commonly mix and match OME, Dobinsons, Bilstein, etc to dial in a customers setup. I've got OME leafs and Dobinsons IMS shocks on one of my 70's, great shock but primarily like the added shock length with our CruiserTeq extended shackles.

Zero reason. We very commonly mix and match OME, Dobinsons, Bilstein, etc to dial in a customers setup. I've got OME leafs and Dobinsons IMS shocks on one of my 70's, great shock but primarily like the added shock length with our CruiserTeq extended shackles.
Well that is great to hear. Your team is actually putting together a quote for me time now for the OME parts!

How do you like your OME/Dobinsons setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom