Next round of really bad ideas....towing edition. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this might fall into the category of really bad ideas...but I am trying to assemble the needed kit to tow an 18' trailer with 2 ATVs and a SxS. The pig has the stock bumpers. Is there an ARB or other vendor that makes a front and rear bumper that does not take a fabrication? As well as what I am learning to be the million-dollar question..." is it available." Ideally, a winch will also go on the front. This truck will not beat me....or at least not until the top of the hour!!

I used Bump It Offroad and have really liked my rear bumper. It has a built in receiver hitch.

CD5C0B16-834D-47F3-901A-F60F6CDE2113.jpeg

I'm thinking with a loaded down 18' trailer you're first going to need a V8 or diesel. The stock motor might pull it, but not anytime soon. Winch on the front and a heavy aftermarket bumper bigger brakes are in order, too.

So this might fall into the category of really bad ideas...but I am trying to assemble the needed kit to tow an 18' trailer with 2 ATVs and a SxS. The pig has the stock bumpers. Is there an ARB or other vendor that makes a front and rear bumper that does not take a fabrication? As well as what I am learning to be the million-dollar question..." is it available." Ideally, a winch will also go on the front. This truck will not beat me....or at least not until the top of the hour!!
Not sure about Bump-It, but most every bumper fabricator will have to build a 55 bumper on special order basis. Can’t remember the guy @PabloCruise and @abqcruiser had make theirs ( @riderjgs too?), but they are stout built bumpers that look great.
Now hopefully you don’t have many hills to pull.

@riderjgs had his built locally I believe when I last talked to him. Very nicely done. Although small chance its his front bumper which also looks great and functional. Either way he know's a guy...

I'm thinking with a loaded down 18' trailer you're first going to need a V8 or diesel. The stock motor might pull it, but not anytime soon. Winch on the front and a heavy aftermarket bumper bigger brakes are in order, too.
Mine is the same as Hanks, Bump it Offroad. We have a small camper that we've towed, maybe 1,100#'s of towing. Like Scrapdaddy said, you're not going to get anywhere fast with a stock motor.
We live out here in farm country..and it would be nice to be able to move from one spot to the next by throwing everything on the trailer when we can't run pasture or local roads.

Here’s mine. Fabbed locally to mimic the front obtained from Gary S which I think is a old Iron Pig Off-Road bumper with additional upright structure added. I wanted the receiver tube built into the face of the bumper. Cutting the necessary square hole in the triangular bumper support cost four bolt holes but we added an additional crossmember further back bolted to a tee at the end of the tube. Originally welded in but had to cut it out to change out my gas tank. Design flaw that would have been avoided by shortening the tube and moving the new cross support about a half inch to the back. Fixed by now having it bolt to the frame on either side so it's easily removable if I have to go back in..
Hell for stout. Both bumpers also angle a bit from near the frame horns toward the outside corner of the body. Don't tow much, but wanted it heavy duty to save my frequently damaged rear quarter panels and give Doomer something sturdy to hook to the next time he has to pull me out backwards after I follow him into Utah mud.
IMG_4596 (1).jpg
IMG_4594.jpg
IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4887 (1).jpg

Not sure about Bump-It, but most every bumper fabricator will have to build a 55 bumper on special order basis. Can’t remember the guy @PabloCruise and @abqcruiser had make theirs ( @riderjgs too?), but they are stout built bumpers that look great.
Now hopefully you don’t have many hills to pull.
I used Bump It Offroad - BIO.
Mike measured my Pig and then saved the file to make bumpers for the others.

I have a BIO bumper on our 470/100, and we use it to pull a camper, I think she is 4k, wet.

If you want to go w/ BIO, I think he is 4-6 months out…

Last edited:
He was that far out when I called him last year. Was lucky to find a great welder to fab mine here.

I agree with @scrapdaddy. Towing that load will be a challenge and you'll likely be frustrated. The ATVs might tow better.😳

The 55 model doesn't have many (if any) bumper options to just purchase from stock.

Cant see it??? Do I need new glasses 😯😳😉🤔🤪🤣😘
This is the Bump It/BIO rear bumper:

6-8-14-079-crop-jpg.935002

If you want him to work on a front design for you, I can bring my Pig over for measurement.
After I change out gas tanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom