Builds My Father-in-Law's 1980 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nice! did you wire in that Soundbar for power?
Yes, as it turns out my brother-in-law installed a small winch a long ago and I took advantage of the wiring he had done at the time. The winch had to be disconnected anyway.

Last edited:
I applied POR15 to a little more of the frame and the axles, as well as giving it the WeatherTech treatment on the inside (Semi-Universal Trim-to-Fit Cargo/Trunk Mat | WeatherTech - https://www.weathertech.com/trim-to-fit-cargo-mat/ and Trim-to-Fit Semi-Universal Car Floor Mat | WeatherTech - https://www.weathertech.com/trim-to-fit-floor-mat/). Next I am contemplating dealing with the loose drag link and idler arm, before I have a lift kit installed.

Land Cruiser - 4 of 4 (1).jpeg
Land Cruiser - 1 of 4 (1).jpeg
Land Cruiser - 3 of 4 (1).jpeg
Land Cruiser - 2 of 4 (1).jpeg

Took the cruiser to a local 4x4 shop to have a safety inspection done. Good news is that they found no immediate safety concerns. They did suggest that I address the steering first on my priority list. Here are the observations from their inspection:
  1. Road Test - Transmission
    • Clutch engages at very top of pedal travel. Likely needs replaced.
  2. Road Test - Steering / Handling
    • Pulls right. Loose. Steering wheel off center
  3. Under Car - Transmission Fluid (manual)
    • Drain plug leaking
  4. Under Car - Suspension
    • Leaf spring bushings cracked and worn.
  5. Under Car - Visible Leaks
    • Rear main possibly leaking class 2.
    • Oil pan leaking class 2.
    • Driver axle seal leaking class 2.
    • Oil cooler leaking coolant class 2.
  6. Under Car - Rear Differential Fluid
    • Brown color. Differential also makes noise. Likely needs inspection and possibly rebuilt.
  7. Under Car - Steering Components
    • Drag link from steering box to idler loose both sides. Idler arm loose.
I will continue to work on the rust and also begin to assess the steering, as well as the leaks.
After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that replacing the steering components and installing a lift kit is probably beyond my abilities. This is where discretion becomes the better part of valor. I am going to write the check and have the professionals do the job. Looks like it will be sometime early November.

In my life I have been in situations were the most streamlined position is to do exactly as you are planning. In the long term, you’ll enjoy the benefits. I love your 40 and the story you’ve published about it

After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that replacing the steering components and installing a lift kit is probably beyond my abilities. This is where discretion becomes the better part of valor. I am going to write the check and have the professionals do the job. Looks like it will be sometime early November.
My take on this is pretty cynical.
I’ve become distrusting of most people doing work for me so I see it as an opportunity to learn a new thing and also learn more about whatever I decided to tackle in lieu of hiring someone else.

The suspension/lift isn’t hard, it just kind of sucks. I’ve done several and the worst was on my tundra, I was sore for days but I did it, saved loads of cash and know a lot more about my truck.

Not sure about your steering but these trucks are at heart very simple.

Who are you having do the work? If I had some shop space you could bring it out and we could knock it right out.

No highjack intended..

The speedo housing sits behind your Ebrake. 1st pic is the “indicator” that the seal is compromised.

2nd pic shows the housing and the speedo cable. Note the seal. A dual seal housing is machined to accept 2/dual seal(s).

3rd pic. Note the stainless hose connected to the TCase and transmission. “Insurance policy”. This one came from @shipmag. “When your Transfer Case seal fails, oil is transferred to the transmission causing the oil to drain from the transfer case and overfill the transmission.

Edit: 4th pic is a side by side comparison of the stock and modified housings. You can see the deeper seat in the housing on the right (dual seal).
The Speedo housing houses the seal before the parking brake. This is area commonly leaks. You can get a dual seal housing where, if I understand correctly, the Speedo housing has been modified to fit a dual seal which should eliminate leaking from your parking break.

Me? No…a FJ40 and an FJ45. Since my speedo cable may need replacement, I had not known about this. I’d rather do things once and if this is a better way to go, count me it!

14ED01E1-3C15-4DE5-A129-AC708175339F.jpeg

5B24614D-2B38-4D16-821F-8924A28A0D62.jpeg

EA52C0EE-ECA0-4842-89D3-B60AC09AE18E.jpeg

26F44AEE-458E-4F2A-BB48-AE61FCE7387E.jpeg

Last edited:
Who are you having do the work? If I had some shop space you could bring it out and we could knock it right out.
There we go!
If you want some food for thought, check out my 60 series PS conversion...
I did my 4" lift at home. Nothing too crazy...

Had a Dobinsons 4x4 Full 2.0" IMS Suspension Kit installed and replaced the steering components. Also had to replace the brake master cylinder in the process. I'm feeling much better with the new tires, suspension, and steering. Back to dealing with rust!

Imports - 4 of 4.jpeg

Imports - 2 of 4.jpeg

Imports - 3 of 4.jpeg

Imports - 1 of 4.jpeg

Rust is the problem for so many of our trucks. My original new FJ40 took it hard when we were living in a snow area for a few years. Good luck getting there…nice to see this truck going well

Such a sweet looking truck and a great story! I wouldn't worry about that rust. It's 43 years old and that's all that has happened to it. Unless you want a show truck, soak it in some fluid film and drive it, rather than spend money on body work and repaint. It will last you another 43 years, easily!

Rust is the problem for so many of our trucks. My original new FJ40 took it hard when we were living in a snow area for a few years. Good luck getting there…nice to see this truck going well
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am just taking it slow and working from the bottom up. It's rewarding to see the progress.

Such a sweet looking truck and a great story! I wouldn't worry about that rust. It's 43 years old and that's all that has happened to it. Unless you want a show truck, soak it in some fluid film and drive it, rather than spend money on body work and repaint. It will last you another 43 years, easily!
Thanks! I'm not really planning to show it, at least not at present. I plan to do most of the work myself, until I find myself over my head (like the suspension). I definitely want to take care of the undercarriage at a minimum. We shall see when I get done with that, how ambitious I am in attacking the body rust.

Always feels good getting something finished… love watching this

Thanks! I'm not really planning to show it, at least not at present. I plan to do most of the work myself, until I find myself over my head (like the suspension). I definitely want to take care of the undercarriage at a minimum. We shall see when I get done with that, how ambitious I am in attacking the body rust.

nice work. under carriage stuff is so tedious so good job. don’t let suspension scare you off trying. it’s really not a complex job needing special tools or anything. it just takes time and willingness to bust a few knuckles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom