Builds My Father-in-Law's 1980 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a noobie and definitely not much of a mechanic, but I have finally decided to take on this project. My father-in-law passed away in 1994 and I always admired his Land Cruiser, it was without a doubt one of his favorite vehicles. Because I was such a fan (and after some lobbying on my part), my mother-in-law donated it to me in 2013. In the intervening period it had only been driven occasionally and usually in winter. So, put up wet with Wisconsin road salt. The result was predictably a lot of rust on the body and frame, but amazingly it only had 45,000 miles on it and a single owner. I shipped it home to Colorado and put in storage. At the time I tried to locate a shop that would restore it, but they either stopped doing restorations or gave such ridiculously high estimates that it was clear they didn't want to take on the job. I put my dreams on hold for 10 years. My mother-in-law passed recently and as my wife told me, it was a sign to get off my butt and do something with it. I decided I was going to start bottom-up, starting with a new set of wheels to give it a little more aggressive look. A friend of mine got me connected to IH8MUD and I found a set of steel wheels with relatively fresh Toyo Open Country 33/10.5/15 for sale. Now I am committed and we will see where this adventure leads...

Land Cruiser - 1 of 15.jpg

Land Cruiser - 2 of 15.jpg

Land Cruiser - 4 of 15.jpeg

Land Cruiser - 5 of 15.jpeg

Land Cruiser - 8 of 15.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to Mud. I think a lot of new owners want to do a restoration, but the time and expense derail the project.
If I were you, I’d get it to a state where it runs reliably and drives safely. Then go explore the back roads around Boulder. It looks great and the interior is solid. So get out there and enjoy it!

Honestly, that does not look like a ton of work. It's actually in pretty good shape given the environment it came from. Drive it, enjoy it, take care of mechanicals first, then look at the rust and the body work. Great starting point--congrats.

Honestly, that does not look like a ton of work. It's actually in pretty good shape given the environment it came from. Drive it, enjoy it, take care of mechanicals first, then look at the rust and the body work. Great starting point--congrats.
Thanks, that's encouraging. I am looking forward to investing some time into improving its condition. As part of taking care of the mechanicals I plan to remove the rust from the frame and undercarriage just to make sure that all of that is sound.

Fluid Film is your new best friend. Start with this and work on a game plan while this travels in and starts to stall the rust.

Fluid Film Rust & Corrosion Protection, Metal Surface Penetrant & Lubricant, Marine, Automotive, Industrial, Home, 11.75 Oz Aerosol Spray (Pack of 6) https://a.co/d/7wEtG0S

Welcome to Mud. I think a lot of new owners want to do a restoration, but the time and expense derail the project.
If I were you, I’d get it to a state where it runs reliably and drives safely. Then go explore the back roads around Boulder. It looks great and the interior is solid. So get out there and enjoy it!
Thanks! Yeah, I may find I fall into this category and get in over my head, but I do want to honor my father-in-law by at least giving it the old college try. It runs reliably now, the safe part is why I want to understand what the rust has done to the frame and under carriage. I have enjoyed it, but I am a little reluctant to take it out on the back roads until I have done a little work on it.

Last edited:
Fluid Film is your new best friend. Start with this and work on a game plan while this travels in and starts to stall the rust.

Fluid Film Rust & Corrosion Protection, Metal Surface Penetrant & Lubricant, Marine, Automotive, Industrial, Home, 11.75 Oz Aerosol Spray (Pack of 6) https://a.co/d/7wEtG0S
Thanks! I have seen this one and the POR15 3-step system (https://por15.com/products/3-step-stop-rust-system) recommended here https://highperformancejunkies.com/how-to-guides/rust-corrosion-repair-a-diy-guide/. I may take your suggestion and start with Fluid Film while I get my courage up.

To give a sense of the rust I will have to deal with, but at least the engine and interior seem to be in pretty good shape.

View attachment 3394166

View attachment 3394167

View attachment 3394168

View attachment 3394169

View attachment 3394170
Another piece of history on this one, it survived the 2021 Marshall fire that destroyed over 1,000 homes and businesses in December. I wasn't able to access my storage locker until 6 days after the fire (it's the third one on the left). Amazingly the wind blew the embers over my unit directly into the ones on the right. You can see how badly damaged they were. The contents of them were incinerated and that entire building had to be rebuilt. Happily, the FJ was unscathed and except for a lot of ash was untouched.

IMG_5707.jpeg

Cool truck! Glad you are taking on the project, Cruisers with connections are priceless!!!

Last edited:
awesome... some really good memories your family have to that 40 and will continue to have. he'd be so pleased to see it get some TLC... dive in! can't believe you had this squired away all this time!

Great history. Starting a restoration may seem like a mountain, but really it is not. Also, it can be a passion and addictive as well. Once you start, you may find many things that lets you learn many tips . MUD was not here when I did a restoration, but wish it was and you are a click away from tons of experience / knowledge. Looking at your pictures, the rust, and frame would be a priority. The reality is the best way to really get to all the undercarriage is to remove the body. This would mean full commitment. If you want a driver with doing work improvement , then you would go into the rust sealers, PORs, just to keep driving. If I had this vehicle , I would certainly do a restoration as it is to nice to not to.

I just saw your license plate--did anyone else see it? Good luck, brother, us Am Legion and VFW guys are pulling for your success.
Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, my father-in-law was a POW in Germany towards the end of WWII. My father spent 3 years as a POW in the Philippines during WWII and was rescued from behind enemy lines as the Japanese were retreating in the Pacific. I have ordered personalized plates "WWIIPOW" to honor the greatest generation, our parents.

Last edited:
Great history. Starting a restoration may seem like a mountain, but really it is not. Also, it can be a passion and addictive as well. Once you start, you may find many things that lets you learn many tips . MUD was not here when I did a restoration, but wish it was and you are a click away from tons of experience / knowledge. Looking at your pictures, the rust, and frame would be a priority. The reality is the best way to really get to all the undercarriage is to remove the body. This would mean full commitment. If you want a driver with doing work improvement , then you would go into the rust sealers, PORs, just to keep driving. If I had this vehicle , I would certainly do a restoration as it is to nice to not to.
Thanks! I think I have caught the bug and am excited to finally do this baby some justice. I plan to take it as far as I can and perhaps get some professional help when it gets beyond my abilities. Aside from the rust, it really is in very good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom