Builds My Father-in-Law's 1980 FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! I am partial to human generated art!
Organic beings generating works with intent = art

The overlord’s image is fascinating though, curious about some of the details it arrived at.

@BrownWolf I remember days when high school computer classes would use dot matrix printers for pictures of naked chicks using X’s and double strikes and 3 feet of perforated paper. To me, that AI drawing of the wolf and Land Cruiser are like a dream back in the 1960’s . Frankly, I’m floored by that

@BrownWolf I remember days when high school computer classes would use dot matrix printers for pictures of naked chicks using X’s and double strikes and 3 feet of perforated paper. To me, that AI drawing of the wolf and Land Cruiser are like a dream back in the 1960’s . Frankly, I’m floored by that
Yes those were the days! I taught myself to program in the 1970s on a PDP8-S with an ASR-33 teletype printer. I wrote programs to print out graphics using asterisks! It wasn't until college when I got into computer graphics and signal processing for real.

1709163978524.png

1709163796360.png

Organic beings generating works with intent = art

The overlord’s image is fascinating though, curious about some of the details it arrived at.
@RevISK Can't argue with your definition of art. I am surrounded by artists!

WRT, "curious about some of the details it arrived at", here's what Wikipedia has to say (DALL-E - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DALL-E):

"DALL·E's model is a multimodal implementation of GPT-3 with 12 billion parameters which 'swaps text for pixels,' trained on text–image pairs from the Internet. In detail, the input to the Transformer model is a sequence of tokenized image caption followed by tokenized image patches. The image caption is in English, tokenized by byte pair encoding (vocabulary size 16384), and can be up to 256 tokens long. Each image is a 256×256 RGB image, divided into 32×32 patches of 4×4 each. Each patch is then converted by a discrete variational autoencoder to a token (vocabulary size 8192)."

As with everything these days, I scraped it off the internet!

@RevISK Can't argue with your definition of art. I am surrounded by artists!

WRT, "curious about some of the details it arrived at", here's what Wikipedia has to say (DALL-E - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DALL-E):

"DALL·E's model is a multimodal implementation of GPT-3 with 12 billion parameters which 'swaps text for pixels,' trained on text–image pairs from the Internet. In detail, the input to the Transformer model is a sequence of tokenized image caption followed by tokenized image patches. The image caption is in English, tokenized by byte pair encoding (vocabulary size 16384), and can be up to 256 tokens long. Each image is a 256×256 RGB image, divided into 32×32 patches of 4×4 each. Each patch is then converted by a discrete variational autoencoder to a token (vocabulary size 8192)."

As with everything these days, I scraped it off the internet!
My brain leaked a bit (or is it byte?) reading that.
But I’m closer to being creative so…

I really just want to know what brand of tire AI brown wolf is running?

My brain leaked a bit (or is it byte?) reading that.
But I’m closer to being creative so…

I really just want to know what brand of tire AI brown wolf is running?
@RevISK I suspect that it is an amalgam of all brands, I on the other hand run Toyo Open Country 33/10.5/15s

I ordered seat covers from Marathon Seat Covers (https://www.marathonseatcovers.com/) to protect the seats and they just arrived! They fit perfectly and I think add a bit of camo attitude. Unfortunately, they were unable to make headrest covers to match, so I purchased some additional material and took it to an upholsterer to produce. Should be a few weeks for those to be finished.

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg

Beginning to contemplate my summer projects. In addition to completing the POR15 treatment on the undercarriage, I am sizing up some of the body rust. Some of it seems relatively superficial, like this.

IMG_7646.jpeg

IMG_7642.jpeg

IMG_7644.jpeg

IMG_7641.jpeg

IMG_7635.jpeg

I admire your spirit…I can’t do this kinda stuff anymore and it took A LOT to prove that to me. Looking at these areas of rot is tough but I have watched hours of guys on YouTube doing some really good work on this exact same thing.

Document the process whether you do it or someone else… years later it is going to be a great memory….i look back at my truck 50 years ago and it makes me smile…AND CRY!

@knuckle47 Thanks! I've never done anything like this before, but I'm just foolish enough to give it a try. I've been watching a lot of YouTube and plan to get some welding instruction before doing the hard stuff.

@BrownWolf I had a brand new Miller Thunderbolt welder I bought 35+ years ago…never really used it because it wasn’t that easy as a good welder can make it look!.. about 10 years ago (still not doing any welding) I built my first smoker from a 275 gallon oil tank and was hooked. Built a custom trailer to mover it around and HAD to have a MiG welder. Bought a Miller-matic 211 with auto-set. It automatically sets the wire speed and current and all you do it tell it how thick your material is. Within 2 weeks I was putting down beads like the were done by pros. In those years I made 7-8 more complex smokers, bought a plasma cutter to cut steel plate, and did all kinds of metal work.

It’s not hard with the right tools as we ALL have learned…. You think you’re Foolish enough? Haha you’re talking to the supreme fool. But I will say this thankfully….nothing has ever really turned out poorly, I’ve saved a bunch of money and developed skills most in my peer group wouldn’t dream of.. I love it. And ….it’s more fun now more than ever…

My only problem is I am aging quickly … my advice to anyone…do not put anything off that you feel like you want to do

All the luck to you getting this done!

@knuckle47 thanks again! I think I still have enough years left in me to do it and I always enjoy learning something new. I just never thought it would be body repair!

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the Millermatic. I was thinking a MIG welder might be the better choice.

I'm still going to see if I can find a welding instructor to get me up the learning curve.

Once you have a welder in your hand ……YOUTUBE!

Unless you want to go commercial

Last edited:
I started to get after the body rust, unfortunately the front turn signals ended up being sacrificed. The nuts were frozen and I ended up shearing the hollow bolts the wiring runs through. Dang this is going to be a long slow process.

IMG_7673.jpeg

IMG_7672.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

IMG_7668.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the years they had some cutie sayings for things such as ‘ how much is it?”

Harley-Davidson HD means Hundred Dollars
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand

Toyota? Tons Of Your Own Treasured Assets

Removed the running boards to get at the rust behind them. A bit harder of a project than expected, sheared off several bolts and had to cut a couple others. Turns out I have some repair work to do on the underside of the running boards as well. C'est la vie!

IMG_7704.jpeg

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

IMG_7701.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom