Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In order to make wiring a bit easier, I found a motor/trans harness for the 1HZ that will plug into the chassis harness from the 14 HZJ76 that we're using....brand new. Nice piece. Engine side is all good...chassis harness plugs are good. Unsure on transmission...I'm sure there will be a few differences with the H151 and the R151 which this would be for.

20191130_130028.jpg

Out of curiosity, how much would that be?

I wish it was an F40....just a 348 with fancy wheels. 348s get such a bad rap but they're great cars. About as easy to work on as a Land Cruiser....with slightly higher parts prices. Test pipes and a high flow exhaust and they sound amazing. Great cars.

This one is for sale....great buy.

View attachment 2145775

Out of curiosity, how much would that be?

This car sold on Bring A Trailer for $55k with fees and shipping about 3 months ago. Customer did about $8k in work on it.

I will list it for $55k and I have some room to play. Nicely sorted car. Full books/documentation. Recent engine out service. Car is ready to drive and enjoy. Great car...just not the right fit for my client. Kind of hard to go from a 458 to a 348....there's a GT3 in the garage now though.

Good price for a sorted 348. Especially a non-spider. 👍

It's a really good price and the car shows really well. Paint is probably on a 7.5/10....some burned thru areas, chips, etc. These cars had kind of crappy paint from the factory and 30 years of time and maybe a less then stellar repaint/repair along the way doesn't help. It shows nice though....Bring A Trailer never mentioned any of this....the seller tried to get them to correct the listing but they wouldn't. These earlier cars had the dual mass flywheel....a little goofy to drive. Ferrari was switching them to the later single mass flywheel when their owners would complain. From a drivability standpoint, that's my only gripe with the car. The single mass flywheel is way better.

This car should have been about a $42-45k car....needed $6-7k worth of straightening out. That puts it in the $50k range...which is what we will probably end up letting it go for.

Better shot of the car.....ride height corrected as well as proper tires on it. They're cool cars....so much 90s going on with it.

IMG_20190830_163410_263.jpg

Man... I clearly remember lots of times my dad telling me "not" to do something I did anyway because I knew what I was doing. And it consistently turned out I did not. And I can already see that my boys are going to do the same.

There comes a point in your life where you realize that the advice that adults have given you over the years comes from being there themselves and a desire to not see you repeat their stupidity... At the time, you don't heed their advice because you mistakenly believe that they couldn't possibly know what you're going through at the moment.

I have been debating on how I will hide the taller Rav 4 dash for a while now. It needs about a 2.5-3" strip of black to hide it(new dash trucks have a different windshield with a black border....about 4" less visibility on the new trucks vs. the old dash trucks...fun fact).

I was recently watching a windshield replacement on a late model Jeep Wrangler (JL). I was amazed at how much windshield is blacked out around the edges!

Today I was having a look at my OEM 70 series sub tank. Not so sure I'm digging the setup....the 70 sub tank hangs low(at least in my mind.... but apparently that's how OEM units fit. I think they are a bit more hidden due to the leaf springs in the rear on a real 70.....I know I've never noticed them before. Sure seems like rear clearance would be compromised with this tank but maybe that's not the case. Certainly open to opinions.

My tank is really far rearward in these pics....I can move it forward about 5"....which gets it back a little.

20191202_100227.jpg
20191202_115805.jpg
20191202_115842.jpg
20191202_151432.jpg

This is the tank on #1....hard to see because of the hitch. It's really nice how it fits. About 28.5 gallons. OEM 70 tank is 25 I think.

20191202_163154.jpg

Topside and underside of #1's fuel tank....pretty big build as I recall. Not sure I want to go thru all that again....
P5200733.jpg
P5230768.jpg

The stock 7x tank is 90 liters.

90L= 23.8 gallons

Front and rear tanks on the 79 are the same size....180L total.

Interesting......double cab 79 has one rear tank....130L. Guessing a 76 would have the same tank size as the double cab.

90L= 23.8 gallons

Front and rear tanks on the 79 are the same size....180L total.

Interesting......double cab 79 has one rear tank....130L. Guessing a 76 would have the same tank size as the double cab.

76 series have had a change over the years from 90 liter to 110 or something like that , I was offered some of those a while back

I don't notice the rear tank on the 79 pickups in KSA and I see them everyday. I'll try to snap a picture of one. Looks like your tank is maybe deeper than OEM?

I have NEVER noticed the damn sub tank until today. Lol. Now I see them on everything. Again, the OEM position is way more towards the front of the truck since it has leaf springs...easier to get near the axle vs. the coil spring in mine which has a pan hard bar/brace for that pan hard bar that takes up a lot of space. So mine will be a little rear biased.

The leaf springs kind of hide it too. Trust me....once you see it, you can't un-see it. Lol.

Kind of a bad pic as you see more the further back towards the rear axe you go....but you can see it in this pic. Tough to see.

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-HZJ79L-4x4-4-2.jpg
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-HZJ79L-4x4-12-1.jpg

This is from one of the people I buy parts from....

IMG_1733.jpg

@c2dfj45 Speaking of tanks. Are you able to remove the front tank? I can’t get it up through the frame due to the long pinch welds on the tank. It looks like I will need to lift the cab to fit or remove transfer case. I have tried contorting it all different ways but it’s just a square peg round hole situation.
I might cut off some of the pinch weld if it’s just excess.

@c2dfj45 Speaking of tanks. Are you able to remove the front tank? I can’t get it up through the frame due to the long pinch welds on the tank. It looks like I will need to lift the cab to fit or remove transfer case. I have tried contorting it all different ways but it’s just a square peg round hole situation.
I might cut off some of the pinch weld if it’s just excess.

We tried to put the tank in when I first got the truck....it was on the lift and the tank was out.....it was a half hearted attempt. I think we determined that we wanted to lift the cab a little to get it in. We used a dead blow mallet to "adjust" the tank's flange a little. I am hoping to be messing with the front tank this week....once we get the rear one mounted. Working on that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom