Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Putting in a proportioning valve, that is when I need to flare on the truck the most.

Cheers

Makes sense.

Im defiantly upgrading before I make my lines. My s***ty kit got me by on my 40 but wasted time having to do it over and over to not get a leak.

Im defiantly upgrading before I make my lines. My s***ty kit got me by on my 40 but wasted time having to do it over and over to not get a leak.

That one we use is $189....it makes a perfect flare every time. No leaks. Period. You'll be glad you got one. Nothing worse than making a really nice line, having a leak, having to then redo the flare which of course means your nice line isn't quite right.....

I had one of those, Eastwood brand. I upgraded to this because you can flare on the truck if needed.

View attachment 2123165

Cheers

Our shop just picked up one of those. We were down to that and the one that @c2dfj45 posted and they bought this one for the same reason you did - being able to do lines on a vehicle. Other than the difference of being able to do it on the bench vs in the vehicle, do you have any other thoughts on one over the other?

That one we use is $189....it makes a perfect flare every time. No leaks. Period. You'll be glad you got one. Nothing worse than making a really nice line, having a leak, having to then redo the flare which of course means your nice line isn't quite right.....

I bought mine after your recommendation about two years ago and love it so much

I bought mine after your recommendation about two years ago and love it so much

That was in my 45LV rant about it. Lol. I stole the pic from that thread for this one.

Back on the #2......starting with this mess. Not my favorite part but I've got a full harness....so figuring out where it all goes without any reference is a little challenging.

20191116_143158.jpg

And managed to get it all in along with a few other things.

20191118_174420.jpg

Realized that I don't have a 1HZ engine harness.....so I'm searching for one now. Along with the trans harness since that will have some of the connections for my fuel tank switchover solenoids...and I would assume fuel tank sending units. Some of this stuff is kind of a guess since we don't have a complete truck to look at. We'll figure it out.

Starting to install things for final......I don't think the truck will be coming part again. At least I hope it won't be coming apart again. Sometimes they do.

Popped on some 33s with OEM 16" steel Tacoma spares.....truck looks a lot better than with the goofy 80 series rollers we had. I think I've decided on 17s for this truck with 34"-ish tall tires. Should be a really good setup. Might change up the suspension once we get the 34s on....

Digging the look with the wider tires and Kut Snake flares and the sliders too. Really different from #1 with the skinny tires and stocker running boards. This truck sits higher too....OME springs. Need to look up the number and see which ones are on it. Nice to see it with it's face on too...been a while.

20191118_174345.jpg
20191118_174512.jpg

Starting to install things for final......I don't think the truck will be coming part again. At least I hope it won't be coming apart again. Sometimes they do.

Popped on some 33s with OEM 16" steel Tacoma spares.....truck looks a lot better than with the goofy 80 series rollers we had. I think I've decided on 17s for this truck with 34"-ish tall tires. Should be a really good setup. Might change up the suspension once we get the 34s on....

Digging the look with the wider tires and Kut Snake flares and the sliders too. Really different from #1 with the skinny tires and stocker running boards. This truck sits higher too....OME springs. Need to look up the number and see which ones are on it. Nice to see it with it's face on too...been a while.

View attachment 2136668View attachment 2136669

My son wants that to be his first truck. Well he's 10, but time to start looking! :rofl:

I'm STILL working on brake lines. Ha. What a project. I get about 5-10 minutes a pop to work on my truck in between interruptions...so simple stuff can take all day. I'm trying to run my lines like how they are on a factory 80 but a couple of the parts are NLA so I'm going to change things around a bit.

Passenger side done. This is the same bracket the 80 uses. For whatever reason the corresponding part number for this part on the LH side is totally wrong...it's a 3 way. So we'll pop one of these on the LH side of the truck. Not a huge deal.
20191120_124422.jpg

Will make some heat shields to protect these lines from any heat radiating from turbo and downpipe....there's quite a bit of room but it's hard to see from this angle. Need to work my lines on the firewall a bit so they are perfectly contoured to each other. OCD can be a real pain in the ass.

20191120_143236.jpg

Couldn't quite finish the line out of the 3 way down to the LF brake hose. I should probably wait until the brake "way" as Toyota calls it come in. That would be the smart thing to do....and probably not what I will end up doing.

20191120_143247.jpg

Last edited:
FINALLY got the hard lines done. Today was the clutch line. I can't believe I didn't do the lines before putting in the motor. I'm trying to think back to the #1 build and I don't remember struggling like this with lines. And that truck had ABS. Need to go back and refresh my memory on how I did those.

20191123_143923.jpg

Engine compartment getting more and more crowded
20191123_143940.jpg

My son wants that to be his first truck. Well he's 10, but time to start looking!

Tell him he has six years to save up for it! :rofl:

He should get the model.....easier to build and WAY cheaper :)
20191125_123255.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom