Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plus you can just unwrap that one, no assembly required ;)
Plus it doesn't leave an oil stain on your book shelf.
image.jpeg

At least the electrics won't go bad on that one.
Reliable headlights, brake lights and the such are vastly overrated. :)

Between Triumphs and Land Rovers, I had a very troubled youth. :)

I wasn't sure owning 4 LRs could be worse....then you had to go and throw in the Triumphs!

I clearly remember my dad telling me to not buy the Triumph and I clearly remember informing him that I knew what I was doing. As it turns out I DID NOT. :)

I clearly remember my dad telling me to not buy the Triumph and I clearly remember informing him that I knew what I was doing. As it turns out I DID NOT. :)

I remember a buddy bought a TR6 in high school....my dad told me to NOT let him park in the driveway ever because he didn't want it to break down where he would have to see it. I believe my dad went thru some brief ownerships of some fine MGs....he pretty much knew what was in store for that TR6.

I remember a buddy bought a TR6 in high school....my dad told me to NOT let him park in the driveway ever because he didn't want it to break down where he would have to see it. I believe my dad went thru some brief ownerships of some fine MGs....he pretty much knew what was in store for that TR6.
True story .......
When I was in college my other two roommates owned a Fiat X-19 and a Chevy Vega. If we were going anywhere beyond walking distance, we took the Triumph because it was deemed to be the more reliable of the three.

True story .......
When I was in college my other two roommates owned a Fiat X-19 and a Chevy Vega. If we were going anywhere beyond walking distance, we took the Triumph because it was deemed to be the more reliable of the three.

Man... I clearly remember lots of times my dad telling me "not" to do something I did anyway because I knew what I was doing. And it consistently turned out I did not. And I can already see that my boys are going to do the same.

Dads and cars....here's a good one.

I bought my first FJ40 in college....I would drag that bucket home in the summer and park it in front of my parents house. It wasn't allowed in the driveway. I remember it leaking fuel and killing the grass near the rocks where its designated parking area was. My dad would get so mad at that truck. He hated it. He would just roll his eyes at it every single time he saw it. After about 27 years now of messing with these trucks, he STILL rolls his eyes when he sees the same FJ40 sitting in my garage....probably still leaking fuel. I sometimes feel bad for what I put him thru with cars and trucks......but as my mom points out, "he created it and encouraged it". Ha.

The Fj40's designated parking area.....the rocks magically absorbed all the leaks and the mud that would fall off of it. I still have to park in the rocks when I visit home in the 79. We all get a good laugh out of it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.21.08 AM.png

There comes a time in some builds where you realize.....something isn't right. Sometimes a few times. Part of what makes builds fun and not so fun. Ha.

The 2014 Rav4 dash going into the 2009 cab with the old school dash was pretty challenging....lots of little things to take into account and kind of guess at since it's not like I can run to the dealer and have a look at a new LC79 to see how things line up. I have been debating on how I will hide the taller Rav 4 dash for a while now. It needs about a 2.5-3" strip of black to hide it(new dash trucks have a different windshield with a black border....about 4" less visibility on the new trucks vs. the old dash trucks...fun fact). As I was checking out how the dash fits to the window....I found that the driver side was out about 1/2-3/4" from the windshield. Weird I thought. Must not be tightened down. Nope...tightened down. Well the dash support bar must be loose or in wrong. Nope. Sinking feeling in gut now present. Turns out we had the dash bar in at a slight angle....too far away from the firewall on the driver side....which is where the bulk of the sheetmetal differences were on the new cab vs old. Soooooo.....2 days of metal work later, we now have a dash fitting how it should and all new brackets holding the dash reinforcement which of course holds the dash. Fun times.

Now back to how this started...figuring out how to black out the lower 3" of the window.

Modified LH side bracket....had to space this guy about 5/8" towards the firewall....that required the dash brace to get trimmed so it physically could go back(was touching firewall sheetmetal and that required a new rear support...actually 2. I was too lazy to remove them though for pics. I don't care to ever see those brackets again.

20191126_175648.jpg
20191126_175657.jpg
20191126_175720.jpg
20191126_175803.jpg

Last edited:
The new-style windshields have a black border all the way around to hide the dash edge and the windshield pillar garnishes.

The new-style windshields have a black border all the way around to hide the dash edge and the windshield pillar garnishes.
Rav4 dash windshield's glass space is about 19". The windshield on the pre Rav4 dash is 23.5". So that border takes up a lot of space. A lot changed with the Rav4 dash...A-pillars and I think the headliner.

Had big plans for the truck today.....wiring, fuel tanks, etc.

Only got as far as getting it up on the lift and taking a pic with 2 cool special edition cars in the shop. Hopefully Friday will be more productive.
20191127_185402.jpg

Is that an F40 lurking behind the 70 series?

I wish it was an F40....just a 348 with fancy wheels. 348s get such a bad rap but they're great cars. About as easy to work on as a Land Cruiser....with slightly higher parts prices. Test pipes and a high flow exhaust and they sound amazing. Great cars.

This one is for sale....great buy.

20190913_123240.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom