Just installed Skyjacker 4 in lift springs along with Bilstien 5100 shocks, and I'm very happy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed Skyjacker's 4 in lift springs to my '79 FJ40, at first I was using Rancho 5000 shocks and the ride was horrible! .. it was so harsh and stiff! .. at first I thought the springs were very hard for the truck. then I decided to get a set of Bilstien 5100 series shocks instead, and it was a day/night difference! .. the ride quality was so good and comfortable. all in all, I'm very happy for how it rides and how it looks now.

IMG_20231108_093147895.jpg

those springs are seriously underrated on this forum.
ive had several sets and have been happy with them all.

These Bilsteins should cover up to 4" of lift. These are for my 1970.

BIL33-185606 Front
Collapsed Length (IN) - 14.13
Extended Length (IN) - 22.58

BIL33-185552 Rear
Collapsed Length (IN) - 15.91
Extended Length (IN) - 25.93

Last edited:
for the pre 72 trucks i understand all 4 shocks shouldn’t be the same length. is it the longer or shorter length equivalent of the later year shock? i know i should just go measure them which i will likely do anyway but it’d be good info to have documented as i haven’t been able to find the answer despite the search function.

cheers

I also like the skyjacker springs on my 40 for more than 20 yrs , still good as new

Your 40 is not looking like a 79 , more 77-78

Looks like a south american import...so anything could be possible.

so i measured my front and rear just at rest height. 17.5 front and 19.5 rear. seems to me that all four AREN’T the same. looks like if i buy the ones for the 2 inch lift i’ll be good (yes i’m going to actually measure them flexed and dropped to be sure)

can anyone confirm that pre 73 should have different lengths front and back?

Not sure what year the rear lower shock mount changed. Some mount on the back of the spring perch above the spring and others mount to the lower ublot plate below the spring.

My July 74 40 had them above the springs. When I swapped in a 77 axle I moved them to the lower spring plate for more travel.

I just installed Skyjacker's 4 in lift springs to my '79 FJ40, at first I was using Rancho 5000 shocks and the ride was horrible! .. it was so harsh and stiff! .. at first I thought the springs were very hard for the truck. then I decided to get a set of Bilstien 5100 series shocks instead, and it was a day/night difference! .. the ride quality was so good and comfortable. all in all, I'm very happy for how it rides and how it looks now.

View attachment 3476622
I've also got the no-draft windows on the front doors and the kick out windows in the hardtop. I love the amount of air that moves through the Cab. Hope you enjoy the setup also. :cheers:

i guess that means that technically the early rear shocks should be shorter than the later years huh? city racers site suggests they are the same length front and back but my measurements just dont quite match that.

right now with winter coming i’m trying to prevent air moving through the cab!! the seals in this thing were swiss cheese. i’ve got most of them replaced

What I failed to mention above is that the Bilstein PNs I listed are for my 1970.
nice. thanks. that makes me feel a lot better about my measurements and what i plan on doing! i’ll get the same ones you have i think

edit: just ordered what you did!!

Last edited:
The measurement might be different frt and rear on your vehicle, but the compression and extension of the shock in question may fall within the range of your measurements frt and rear. On my 75 I moved my shock mounts to the earlier location above the spring for 2 reasons. The primary reason was to get the lower shock mount out of harms way from trail rash. 2nd is the shock is at a greater angle so the odds of bottoming out the shock is reduced. It also allows for more flexibility because the shock is not vertical. I get a little more body roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom