Time For a New Lift? Dobinsons? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm ready for a new lift on my 40. I'm at least ready to get new shocks but don't want to spend money just shocks if I'm gonna soon switch the springs. Previous owner had a lift from SOR installed a couple years before I bought it. About 10 to 12 years ago. I think it's a 2.5 inch but I'm not sure. It sits higher in the front then some 2.5 lifts I think and It was kinda saggy in the back when I got it so I put longer shackles on the back. It's stiff. I know most of the lift springs for FJ40s are so I haven't been willing to spend the money on new springs, but I've been reading a lot of good things about the Dobinsons kits.

I've got a few questions about whether or not it would be worth the money and time though, so maybe some of you that have Dobinsons can help.

I still use my 40 for camping, hunting, and offroading. Generally what they were built for. So I sometimes load it up pretty good. Maybe couple hundred pounds in the back and even a Columbus RTT most of the summer. It rides pretty well once I load it down that much, but terrble when its empty. I currently run Toyo MT 33/10.50 R15s on stock wheels. Really like the look and size of this tire so I need to know whatever lift I get will work with them.

Questions:

1. Should I get the heavier leaf for the back or is the regular ones gonna be tuff enough to handle a few hundred extra pounds now and then?

2. Can I use my current shackles, pins and hangers with the Dobinsons or do I need to get what goes with their kit?

3. Will I be able to easily clear my tires while offloading with just the 2" lift that Dobinsons have?

3. Where is the best place to get Dobinsons? Maybe even a place that can help me out with my questions? Is there a mud vendor that carries them.

20230430_100331.jpg

20230430_100319.jpg

20240216_164252.jpg

I hear very good things about the Dobinsons offerings for the 40. I was tempted to use their products 3 years ago on my 40 but they literally never returned repeated emails or phone calls to answer a few questions and place the order.
I will say I am very happy with my OME med/heavy springs shackles and Bilstein 5100's under my 40. I will say once you take it out and wheel it and flex everything it rides amazingly better than just installing it and gently driving it.

I'm ready for a new lift on my 40. I'm at least ready to get new shocks but don't want to spend money just shocks if I'm gonna soon switch the springs. Previous owner had a lift from SOR installed a couple years before I bought it. About 10 to 12 years ago. I think it's a 2.5 inch but I'm not sure. It sits higher in the front then some 2.5 lifts I think and It was kinda saggy in the back when I got it so I put longer shackles on the back. It's stiff. I know most of the lift springs for FJ40s are so I haven't been willing to spend the money on new springs, but I've been reading a lot of good things about the Dobinsons kits.

I've got a few questions about whether or not it would be worth the money and time though, so maybe some of you that have Dobinsons can help.

I still use my 40 for camping, hunting, and offroading. Generally what they were built for. So I sometimes load it up pretty good. Maybe couple hundred pounds in the back and even a Columbus RTT most of the summer. It rides pretty well once I load it down that much, but terrble when its empty. I currently run Toyo MT 33/10.50 R15s on stock wheels. Really like the look and size of this tire so I need to know whatever lift I get will work with them.

Questions:

1. Should I get the heavier leaf for the back or is the regular ones gonna be tuff enough to handle a few hundred extra pounds now and then?

2. Can I use my current shackles, pins and hangers with the Dobinsons or do I need to get what goes with their kit?

3. Will I be able to easily clear my tires while offloading with just the 2" lift that Dobinsons have?

3. Where is the best place to get Dobinsons? Maybe even a place that can help me out with my questions? Is there a mud vendor that carries them.

View attachment 3574182

View attachment 3574185

View attachment 3574186
Jason @TRAIL TAILOR is a Dobisons dealer.
Great price. Easy transaction.

@RevISK

Are you running a Dobinsons lift?
Bought from @TRAIL TAILOR ?
Running a full medium kit in the FJ62 purchased from @TRAIL TAILOR and just purchased a spring only kit from him yesterday.
Definite savings going with Jason and he's good with making sure you are getting what you need. Asks great questions.

Highly recommend.

@TRAIL TAILOR what do you recommend for my application? I think I'd like to move forward with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom