Builds Just another 79 build..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That down tube is pretty close to the tail gate. A fairly light tap to that tire may put the tube into the tail gate. :hmm:

Yep....could see that being an issue. Could also imagine the amount of tears that would come out of my face if that happened :)

What type of insulation are you using on your firewall/bulkhead? Bumper is looking good 👍

Yep....could see that being an issue. Could also imagine the amount of tears that would come out of my face if that happened :)
Fortunately you live in a State where all of the drivers are at the top of their game. 😁

Painted this thing rattle can satin black and bolted her on.....not to come off again for a little bit.

Fun thing with black paint....you get to see all your flaws. I've got a little more grinding to do in a few areas I'm not super happy with but for the most part, it's pretty well sorted.View attachment 2604536View attachment 2604537View attachment 2604538View attachment 2604539View attachment 2604540
Beautiful work! Do you think you would sell these bumpers individually? Would it work for a 75 series too?

I had forgotten it was a stretched 80 frame.
@cruiserdan has it right....it would be a shocking amount of money to do one. We have a pile of time in this one, which is expected of course on the first of anything that is built. The next one would come together a lot quicker I think but it would still be expensive.

@cruiserdan has it right....it would be a shocking amount of money to do one. We have a pile of time in this one, which is expected of course on the first of anything that is built. The next one would come together a lot quicker I think but it would still be expensive.
I understand the expense. But there is a complete lack of options for aftermarket/hi-lift rear bumpers for the 75/79 series pickups.

Fantastic work either way.

I understand the expense. But there is a complete lack of options for aftermarket/hi-lift rear bumpers for the 75/79 series pickups.

Fantastic work either way.
I spent months looking around.....there's stuff out there but none of it appealed to me.....and one other slight issue....nothing for a mutt of a truck like mine with an 80s frame and the 79 body :)

I've been eyeballing the other 79 now.......I kind of like having a step bumper...which the other one doesn't have.

I spent months looking around.....there's stuff out there but none of it appealed to me.....and one other slight issue....nothing for a mutt of a truck like mine with an 80s frame and the 79 body :)

I've been eyeballing the other 79 now.......I kind of like having a step bumper...which the other one doesn't have.
Haha!

I just want to be able to lift it with a hi-lift, have a functioning tow receiver, and a place to plug a 7-pin trailer light.

Putting the serious hustle on now.....I'm headed out for a weekend of camping in a place called Tate's Hell....somewhere 6 hours north of Tampa. Neat story about the place.

Spent nearly all day on the tire carrier.....my picture taking was seriously lacking. Went from nothing to done with like 4 pics. Ha. Here they are....

All started with this as the upright and a big old notch cut out. I didn't do a curved upright....straight was easier and I think I will put a fold down table on it at some point which will be easy to stow behind it. Seems like a good place for one. Plus it will be one more thing to shop for :)
20210308_093648.jpeg

After fiddling around with cutting and measuring, this is what I ended up with.

20210308_114607.jpeg

I was smart and bought a tire mount which saved a bunch of time.

20210308_114602.jpeg

Did a bunch of gussets...kind of getting the hang of my new welder.....I have to move much faster with this one vs. my old one.

20210308_150951.jpeg

Finished almost all the welding today on it.....I have a couple more to do tomorrow when it comes off. I don't think it will go anywhere....very solid.
20210308_160704.jpeg

Happy with the rear clearance.....I think keeping the upright straight bumped the tire out about a 2" or so. Not the end of the world.

20210308_165705.jpeg

My brain still needs to accept this look.....very different.

20210308_165255.jpeg

Welded on the stop.....I have some 1/2" HDPE material that we'll make some plastic 'cushions' for the stopper.
20210308_163428.jpeg

Realized that the Detasco 341 needs a longer U bolt which is a bummer. Should have one that is an inch longer on Wed. I'll drill this one in and get it all mounted. Going to do a lock pin as well but a little different than most.....using a Detasco retractable pin deal. Neat piece. Not sure where it will go.

20210308_163627.jpeg

I'll cut the end of the swing out off tomorrow and plate it....should have the locking pin on Wed so we can mount it.

Finished the battery tray and mounts.....hope to get the cruise control wired on Wed before I head north. Need me some cruise control for that drive....

Blasted
20210308_162329.jpeg

Powdercoated.....a little thick on the smaller mount. Using a 70/30 satin finish.....very forgiving to spray. We're getting pretty good at it....today we had to do a mirror for a customers build. Turned out perfect.

20210308_170802.jpeg
20210308_171744.jpeg

Installed the bases
20210308_173120.jpeg

Tray in....cruise control mounted to the forward support. Pretty tidy mount.

20210308_174142.jpeg

Last edited:
@c2dfj45 .... “Putting the serious hustle on now.....I'm headed out for a weekend of camping in a place called Tate's Hell....somewhere 6 hours north of Tampa. Neat story about the place”.
—————————————————————————————————————

Definitely need a scouting report. May be something our local Cruiser club would be interested in. 😊

@c2dfj45 .... “Putting the serious hustle on now.....I'm headed out for a weekend of camping in a place called Tate's Hell....somewhere 6 hours north of Tampa. Neat story about the place”.
—————————————————————————————————————

Definitely need a scouting report. May be something our local Cruiser club would be interested in. 😊
I'll be the best scout I can be :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom