Joining the Cruiser Club with my new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Jetlander I was lightly mentioning that using my hinges is a way to get some airflow in the hot Texas environment without installing an actual AC system.

When I was active duty AF at Beale it was like driving through an oven on the way home. My only relief was airflow through the truck.
Aaaah, well I’ve already got your AC setup then...

Also, @cowgirl40 thats a sweet find. By the looks of it just a few tweaks and it’ll be perfect.

I like the shop but that much space would set me back a lot over here.
Plus I would fill it up in no time.:rofl:
Funny to see the different ways of building, here it is just steel and stone for commercial buildings.

On Sandy, you might clean up the wiring, the blue splices are not the best solution.
Exhaust looks solidly Attached to the frame, that will break something in the long run.
Looks nice with little rust. Congratulations Cowgirl.:rimshot: It looks like a great starting point.

Last edited:
And in pretty short order. Just 47 hours from the time the Cruiser Pickers passed me on US 285 north of Santa Fe on the way to Chimayo, NM to pick up the FJ80 parts until the time they arrived back in Amarillo, TX. And Sandy was picked up on the western border of Arizona. Quite a feat considering the vast distances travelled.

2000+ miles round trip from Dallas to Lake Havasu City crossing TX, NM, AZ.

Interesting to note that if we did a round trip within TX from the state line between TX/OK border on the panhandle to Port Isabel (Padre Island) is also 2000+ miles. Same distance as driving round trip from Dallas to Chicago. Ain’t no small hootenanny when they say things are bigger in TX.

Yessir, that is a 67 40 that a neighbor moved down here from CO. Its been a fame off project for 8 years and I am helping him get it back together.
It's been in his family since 69 and had a SBC 307 installed at the Dealership back in 1968 for a whopping $700.00. That included the new motor, adapter and labor. I'll share the receipt when he brings it out. Not as cool as Ol'Landy's history but cool none the less.
Crazy part is they headed our way Friday after lunch John. I think they dialed in the art of roadtripping when they went to get Ol'Landy.

We did 6000+ miles to get Old Landy!

Todate the Cruiser Pickers have done 8000+ miles in the last year. Car radio never turned on for any mile of it. :steer:

Last edited:
We did 6000+ miles to Old Landy!

Todate the Cruiser Pickers have done 8000+ miles in the last year. Car radio never turned on for any of mile of it. :steer:

It’s really only been about 5 months. We still gotta lotta year left. Start looking at craigslist man!

Plan to try it this summer with no AC and go from there. All my drives are short and around town anyway. Should be not too bad.

A 40 with the hard top on is pretty toasty in Texas summers. With the top and doors off, and a bikini top for shade, it's doable. Better if you can keep moving, i.e. not stuck in city traffic.

Getting right into it. We are going to use a TH350. We will get advanced adaptor kit. Have scanned the internets and can’t find best stall specs for the torque converter. Anyone know? @Poser? Is there flex plate/ torque converter combo that drives well on the street and has some good low end grunt like the 2f?

On Sandy, you might clean up the wiring, the blue splices are not the best solution.
Exhaust looks solidly Attached to the frame, that will break something in the long run.
Looks nice with little rust. Congratulations Cowgirl.:rimshot: It looks like a great starting point.

Funny you mentioned that. @POTATO LAUNCHER caught the same thing.

So, @POTATO LAUNCHER was evaluating the mods he is going to do for the auto conversion on Sandy, he stumbled on a concealed carry device in Sandy.

Machete

Has to fall under best mods under $50. @cowgirl40 is going to have to take some knife classes.

So, @POTATO LAUNCHER was evaluating the mods he is going to do for the auto conversion on Sandy, he stumbled on a concealed carry device in Sandy.
Speaking of concealed carry devices, my youngest son stumbled on one last year. My '93 4-Runner, which he's been borrowing to drive to his vanpool, was stolen from the park and ride one day. Late one night about a week later my wife answered a call from the Albuquerque Police Department. They had found the vehicle and said we had an hour to meet the officer where they found it or it would be towed to the impound yard. Our son and daughter-in-law quickly drove over to pick it up. When they got there the officer said the vehicle was used to commit three crimes, including an armed robbery of a Taco Bell. The next day my son noticed a black object between the bucket seat and the center console, at first he thought it was his cell phone carrying case. He reached down to pick it up and discovered that it was the handgun used in the Taco Bell hold-up. Naturally that led to a quick call to the police o_O.

The next day my son noticed a black object between the bucket seat and the center console, at first he thought it was his cell phone carrying case. He reached down to pick it up and discovered that it was the handgun used in the Taco Bell hold-up. Naturally that led to a quick call to the police o_O.

You and your son are better citizens than me! :hmm:

I did find these pics we forgot to post while in Santa Fe waiting for lunch with @4Cruisers. @CaptClose felt his good old self on the streets of Santa Fe. Blanket and all. I see where he gets his cruiser pickin habits.
BB8B3C0D-B7D0-4CB5-A582-F1E9AA439AF8.jpeg
0F040CD0-662F-4075-ADD3-728DA977F4D6.jpeg
97EEC326-473B-4C96-8843-8672B24B52BC.jpeg
881D4471-32E6-49A6-8543-F6C617226FF2.jpeg

@ceylonfj40nut went transmission hunting in a junkyard a few weeks ago and picked up a TH350 GM Auto transmission for Sandy. The transmission is currently at the shop being rebuild with new clutch pack. I watched a YouTube video on a transmission rebuild and was so overwhelmed! Oh boy! Hats off to those that do it! Here are some pictures sent from the shop.

A20BD138-EC8E-4673-B11E-FEB566C1A165.jpeg

CAEBB597-566C-4500-92C1-821EF3F2E648.jpeg

FD6C05CF-60F5-4113-9DF9-472FCA86D9DE.jpeg

75BAA18C-F842-4845-B1F2-02EEA76FEDEE.jpeg

Oooooo Shiny!
Getting Sandy prepped for surgery. Rear axle will be moved aft for extra driveshaft length.
Glad the "Cruiser Pickers" didn't try and drive her back. Shock and driveshaft bolts were all finger tight. :hillbilly:

20190228_142907.jpg

20190228_142951.jpg

Oooooo Shiny!
Getting Sandy prepped for surgery. Rear axle will be moved aft for extra driveshaft length.
Glad the "Cruiser Pickers" didn't try and drive her back. Shock and driveshaft bolts were all finger tight. :hillbilly:

Does “finger tight” mean “loose?” Still learning the lingo. Wow this surgery is a lot more involved than I originally anticipated. So glad we found an experienced surgeon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom