Joining the Cruiser Club with my new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally ready to get hitched for the trip home. Sandy is so close to being on the road again that she can taste it. Can not be more grateful for the support of @POTATO LAUNCHER, his family, and friends that stopped by with their cool rides. It was a complete gear head nirvana. Also thanks to my hardworking boys @ceylonfj40nut @Cowboy45, son Liam who is not on mud yet, and our puppies who make good car models. 🤣 We are loving this family affair.

E6C1944D-2524-4631-A61B-2C27AA798306.jpeg

E3329646-C67E-47A2-B188-C8414CF5D884.jpeg

129A95CB-CBCD-4BB0-BDA3-B2E40CF7E54F.jpeg

A666FD71-FD43-46F1-9E70-943D906D958F.jpeg

44936775-03A4-4505-961B-1CDEFCB0E793.jpeg

Clearly I added value. I was the dead weight to hold the table down while @POTATO LAUNCHER bent the twin sticks. My head was a good shelf.

Family outing Land Cruiser style. I hope the last leg of the trip goes well. Are there any more updates planned?

Larry in El Paso

No major updates. Focus is on getting it running and @cowgirl40 learning the quirks, then diving in as needed to get it a DD state which is what she wants. At a minimum a hot pressure wash on the undercarriage to get the 45 years of oil and Arizona dirt scrubbed. Need the roof re-gel coated.

When @ceylonfj40nut inquired about a V8 40 that @cowgirl40 could use as a DD several candidates were on the table. Sandy seemed to be the best choice for what was desired. CD and Ryan @CaptClose ventured to Arizona to pick her up. 90% rust free with your typical PO modifications that are common on any vehicle that is 40+ years old.
The SBC swap was done correctly with good components at the time of conversion. SBC is a 94 GM Goodwrench Crate motor, natural asperation with HEI ignition, mated to the stock 1974 4 Speed tranny / transfer combo using a true McCleod Scatter shield as an adapter. Clutch was a 11" Chevrolet with Diaphram pressure plate. Will work flawlessly for years if CD had wanted to keep that set up. However, this will be @cowgirl40 's Daily Driver so out with the Manual and in with the tried and true TH350 mated with an Advanced Adapter to the original 1 piece transfer case.
As many of us know the available room under a 90" wheel base FJ40 is limited, especially when you add 8 extra inches of transmission / adapter / transfer case into the equation. We knew that the motor is limited in forward location due to the fact that an A/C condenser will need to be added in the not so distant future. The reasonable answer was to move the rear axle back 1.5" for what ever extra space was available without changing the over all look of the wheel in the rear opening. Axle flip would have thrown the proportions way out of wack. This 40 will be a Daily Driver with occasional trail use nothing hard core so a well balanced 18" drive shaft will be replacing the once 24" unit that Sandy was equipped with.
For the now lengthened combo to clear the torque tube / factory crossmember it was decided to relocate it 6" behind stock location. This allows 2 very critical things, 1. the tailhousing has plenty of room when in place and if T/C needs service the whole transmission doesn't need to be removed to do so, 2. the pan of the new TH350 is tucked up high enough under the truck to not be damaged.
1/4" scab plates were fabricated and welded to the upper, lower and inside frame to keep things as they should be. Overkill yes but I'd much rather over build and not have issues vs. the what if's that can leave you stranded on the trail.
The use of a stock GM transmission mount is used on the custom removable crossmember. We decided to go with the Advanced Adapter Twin Stick set up because it simplifies the Custom install and they work flawlessly everytime.
A B&M transmission cooler with braided stainless cooler lines was installed to the lower radiator to keep trans temps down.
A hand formed transmission tunnel piece was made to cover the PO hacked piece. Twin sticks were bent to enter in the stock shifter location fairly easily. A Lokar 16" cane cable type shifter will be placed near where the stock 4 speed stick was from the factory.
We worked a good pace for three days to get Sandy ready for the journey to to her new home in Dallas. I know for a fact that this family will give this 40 many more years of happiness.
Working on Cruisers is good for the mind and I'm happy that @cowgirl40 and the boys were able to see the what and whys of doing custom work.

Awesome write up @POTATO LAUNCHER!! We are getting shifter installed (ran out of daylight on day 3) and drive shafts resized. Then time to fire up. Found a shop in Dallas that can do a work around the deeper transmission oil pan we wanted to have and front drive shaft. It is typical to find a work around any time we do a TH350. Good news is that the longer AA adaptor we used minimizes the work around the oil pan.

If Mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy.

Larry in El Paso

If Mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy.

Larry in El Paso
You got it! I am surrounded by some cruiser heads who understood me and were willing to give me a ride that will not remain in a garage but be driven around for all to enjoy. To resurrect these vehicles and bring it to the masses to enjoy is a gift to both them and us.

Getting Sandy ready for inspection. Decided to replace broken tail light covers and discovered break lights were not working. In trying to troubleshoot also discovered that the hazard lights were not working. So @ceylonfj40nut and I downloaded this 1974 wiring diagram from mud and started tracing the wires. Found many surprises to say the least. It appears it’s not uncommon. Attaching the diagram here to help others.

CD76EB97-E3F7-4F5B-BFEB-DB2C49436D31.jpeg

7F38B20D-B404-4845-A902-FB6C6C3170EB.jpeg

78FF9EB7-74D7-46DD-A22E-C173B8731948.jpeg

DD4D2BED-3970-459F-A990-184DF28EB2AF.gif

Nice work @cowgirl40, you will know so much about your 40 by doing these types of repairs yourself. It is a satisfying accomplishment when you do.

Cleaning up the PO electrical “wizardry”. Not even NY rats can make a nest this crazy. Saving grace was he spliced at the end of the rear harness. Peeled off secondary fuel tank wiring, 2 towing wiring harnesses, trailer brake wiring, inverter for secondary fuel pump, temporary taps at the fuse panel, etc. Back to factory wiring. Need to home run from spliced factory rear harness to tail lights, rear marker lights, and license plate. Removed all fuses and wire brushed all the fuse holders and removed aftermarket headlight switch. Purchased factory light switch (thanks @rickpaw) to connect. Been getting a live circuit on the park light circuit we are hoping the factory light switch will address. Putting in new brake light switch.

@cowgirl40 made her first trip to Cool Cruisers of Texas. Sure it ain’t the last. Pretty proud of her getting at the wiring diagram last night.

ACB51C59-7C92-4822-88C4-370B28F26A57.jpeg

FF213CA3-2A82-4482-AABF-0B32791F6FAD.jpeg

952CB3B4-ED82-4A89-91CB-5F7D0E40135F.jpeg

So Kavi.... have you started to think about your next cruiser purchase yet? Maybe a 70-Series? 🤣

Great work guys. It’s coming together quickly

So Kavi.... have you started to think about your next cruiser purchase yet? Maybe a 70-Series? 🤣

Great work guys. It’s coming together quickly

They look good. 😩

9BC5016A-2A10-4F07-95C8-5FDE2D9E1605.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom