Joining the Cruiser Club with my new FJ40

@Jetlander I was lightly mentioning that using my hinges is a way to get some airflow in the hot Texas environment without installing an actual AC system.

When I was active duty AF at Beale it was like driving through an oven on the way home. My only relief was airflow through the truck.
Aaaah, well I’ve already got your AC setup then...

Also, @cowgirl40 thats a sweet find. By the looks of it just a few tweaks and it’ll be perfect.

ceylonfj40nut

Hate Design Obsolescence
And in pretty short order. Just 47 hours from the time the Cruiser Pickers passed me on US 285 north of Santa Fe on the way to Chimayo, NM to pick up the FJ80 parts until the time they arrived back in Amarillo, TX. And Sandy was picked up on the western border of Arizona. Quite a feat considering the vast distances travelled.
2000+ miles round trip from Dallas to Lake Havasu City crossing TX, NM, AZ.

Interesting to note that if we did a round trip within TX from the state line between TX/OK border on the panhandle to Port Isabel (Padre Island) is also 2000+ miles. Same distance as driving round trip from Dallas to Chicago. Ain’t no small hootenanny when they say things are bigger in TX.

ceylonfj40nut

Hate Design Obsolescence
Yessir, that is a 67 40 that a neighbor moved down here from CO. Its been a fame off project for 8 years and I am helping him get it back together.
It's been in his family since 69 and had a SBC 307 installed at the Dealership back in 1968 for a whopping $700.00. That included the new motor, adapter and labor. I'll share the receipt when he brings it out. Not as cool as Ol'Landy's history but cool none the less.
Crazy part is they headed our way Friday after lunch John. I think they dialed in the art of roadtripping when they went to get Ol'Landy.

We did 6000+ miles to get Old Landy!

Todate the Cruiser Pickers have done 8000+ miles in the last year. Car radio never turned on for any mile of it. :steer:

Last edited:

chupacabra

Plan to try it this summer with no AC and go from there. All my drives are short and around town anyway. Should be not too bad.
A 40 with the hard top on is pretty toasty in Texas summers. With the top and doors off, and a bikini top for shade, it's doable. Better if you can keep moving, i.e. not stuck in city traffic.

ceylonfj40nut

Hate Design Obsolescence
Getting right into it. We are going to use a TH350. We will get advanced adaptor kit. Have scanned the internets and can’t find best stall specs for the torque converter. Anyone know? @Poser? Is there flex plate/ torque converter combo that drives well on the street and has some good low end grunt like the 2f?

ceylonfj40nut

Hate Design Obsolescence
On Sandy, you might clean up the wiring, the blue splices are not the best solution.
Exhaust looks solidly Attached to the frame, that will break something in the long run.
Looks nice with little rust. Congratulations Cowgirl.:rimshot: It looks like a great starting point.

Funny you mentioned that. @POTATO LAUNCHER caught the same thing.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
So, @POTATO LAUNCHER was evaluating the mods he is going to do for the auto conversion on Sandy, he stumbled on a concealed carry device in Sandy.
Speaking of concealed carry devices, my youngest son stumbled on one last year. My '93 4-Runner, which he's been borrowing to drive to his vanpool, was stolen from the park and ride one day. Late one night about a week later my wife answered a call from the Albuquerque Police Department. They had found the vehicle and said we had an hour to meet the officer where they found it or it would be towed to the impound yard. Our son and daughter-in-law quickly drove over to pick it up. When they got there the officer said the vehicle was used to commit three crimes, including an armed robbery of a Taco Bell. The next day my son noticed a black object between the bucket seat and the center console, at first he thought it was his cell phone carrying case. He reached down to pick it up and discovered that it was the handgun used in the Taco Bell hold-up. Naturally that led to a quick call to the police o_O.

chupacabra

The next day my son noticed a black object between the bucket seat and the center console, at first he thought it was his cell phone carrying case. He reached down to pick it up and discovered that it was the handgun used in the Taco Bell hold-up. Naturally that led to a quick call to the police o_O.
You and your son are better citizens than me! :hmm:

Top Bottom