Inner axle seal offset driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hoping someone has an offset axle seal driver that they would consider renting me? I'd obviously pay for the shipping both ways. I have my 80 tore apart at the moment and am ready to go back together with the axles but the offset seal driver I ordered from Wits End more than a month ago has grim hope of ever showing up. I've reached out multiple times to Joey @NLXTACY with no reply on a status update or approximation on shipping. It's unfortunate because the guy offers some really cool parts however like many others on here I haven't had good luck landing them once I complete payment to Joey. Hoping someone on here has one of his drivers and is willing to rent it out. I'm open to any other creative solutions as well so that I can get my 80 back on the road.

Thank you.

1690478216979.png

I can have these made pretty easy if not available. Can make a small batch run. Cost will depend on how many people need it.

Quick calculation on a run of 10 - is about $45-50 shipped within US.

Note: The purpose of this is not to take any business from Wits' End. Just trying to offer a temporary solution. I am not a store or business. Just have ability to make parts if needed.

It has been a long time since I did birfs, and I did them before I had a lot of the tools I have today, so I must've used something around the shop. Socket, something like that.

Just go to harbor freight and buy the seal bearing driver kit, mine was about 30 bucks, can use for the races in the hub, knuckle and the knuckle seal, people have been under driving and over driving this seal long before that wits end thing came out. You could use a socket as well.

Just go to harbor freight and buy the seal bearing driver kit, mine was about 30 bucks, can use for the races in the hub, knuckle and the knuckle seal, people have been under driving and over driving this seal long before that wits end thing came out. You could use a socket as well.
The kit I bought at HF about six months ago does not have a driver to fit the inner oil seal. Maybe your kit is older.

I also ordered one back in June and my understanding is that these offset drivers are being anodized. Also hoping they are ready soon. Not my DD so waiting on it has had me clean the 80 knuckles, hubs and undercarriage really well…😂. I am to a point that I am going to start to hit’em with rust prevention paint. Without the sst, Joey’s is the best tool I can use without buggering it up. I’ve tried 50mm before and it’s just too tight IIRC.

You can use an appropriately sized washer to ‘overdrive’ the inner seal. Quick/easy to do.

A block of wood with a square end cut on it works great.
High tech I know. But it fits every budget, and can be customised in seconds with a knife, grinder, saw etc
is the block of wood anodized or laser engraved tho? Nah? Then it isn’t expensive enough for me.

I am borrowing a driver set from work and the biggest sizes are 32/36 mm, 35/40 mm and 38/42 mm. Anybody know the actual diameter of the inner seal for the FJ60/FJ80?

There is a fairly comprehensive YouTube video by 2nd gear low and he recommend >= 55 mm at time stamp 27:18.

Toyota Landcruiser Swivel Hub (Steering Knuckle) Rebuild - Complete Guide (70/80/105 Series)

So the 42 mm is a bit to small.

Last edited:
I am borrowing a driver set from work and the biggest sizes are 32/36 mm, 35/40 mm and 38/42 mm. Anybody know the actual diameter of the inner seal for the FJ60/FJ80?
Rough measurements with my caliper with seals installed show close to 47mm outside diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom