I'm just going to say it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Marco, we have never met and I'm sure you a great guy and I would like to wheel with you some time.

But as for you statement about discriminate you are a big offender often discriminating within the 80 group itself, always saying how much better the 3FE is over the FZJ.

I have no issue with other platforms and wheel with Jeeps all the time, that's my 80 with the jeeps on a trip to Sand Hollow at top of the world.
where all from SLO County and made the trip out there together.
View attachment 3091143

Anyone that knows me knows that deep down I'm a ford guy and would be wheeling a early Bronco if they weren't so dam expensive !!

In closing the last time I was on the Rubicon there was three broken jeep in a 100 yards clogging up the trail, the white one in the right of the picture was one of them.
It belongs to a good friend of mine and I went out to get parts for him to get it fixed ;)

Cheers, Now lets get back to our regular programming
I never said 3FE is better than 1FZ. my problem is ppl on MUD discriminating 3FE just because they think 1FZ is best thing since slice bread. There is a difference and i am just watching out for the 3FE peeps and not letting this gone rogue. I have no time for this crap and my time is better spent else where...

PS That's a really CUTE cattle dog pup you have Marco, I'm sure the pup's would get along great.

Sassy in the 80
View attachment 3091176
My Pup is ready to be out on the trail....one more round of vaccine next week....
20220816_183546.jpg

I never said 3FE is better than 1FZ. my problem is ppl on MUD discriminating 3FE just because they think 1FZ is best thing since slice bread. There is a difference and i am just watching out for the 3FE peeps and not letting this gone rogue. I have no time for this crap and my time is better spent else where...
There's no difference it's all discrimination 🤷‍♂️

The whole which-one-is-best issue would have been solved decades ago IF Toyota had done what they often do... Put a new powerplant in an existing platform a year prior to introducing a new model.

IE, a 4.7 liter V8 80. Game over.

And kept producing them so that they could be bought new today :)

Not sure if your assessment is true. Jeep is far superior offroad, especially rock crawling. I wheel with plenty of them.

Why don't you sell your 80....

My cruiser has had the upper hand on a few jeeps and buggys with 40's up at sand hollow. The extra wheel base on the 80 can make a huge difference.

My cruiser has also been the weak link on the same trips because of the extra wheel base.

When talking about all around general offroad and adventure capabilities in stock form, the 80 series is hands down the best 4x4 ever sold in America.

Why don't you sell your 80....

My cruiser has had the upper hand on a few jeeps and buggys with 40's up at sand hollow. The extra wheel base on the 80 can make a huge difference.

My cruiser has also been the weak link on the same trips because of the extra wheel base.

When talking about all around general offroad and adventure capabilities in stock form, the 80 series is hands down the best 4x4 ever sold in America.
Because if i want a Jeep, I would have gotten a jeep and end of story?
I would never sell my 80...besides, its a 3FE and its junk according to MUD..lol

you don't need to tell me why LC is better than jeep..I already know and hence why i am out on the trails most of the times with jeeps so as a reminder...i keep up with 40s with more sheet metal...

Depends on what type of tail your on. If rock Crawling a Stock Rubicon JK is very hard to beat and with mild upgrades can keep up with a lot of buggies. I have owned three and in no way could I build an equal vehicle for the cost of a JK. However my daily driver is my FJ60 and hands down much more comfortable and useful. It is mostly stock with a mild lift. Great for most trails and can carry a ton of gear. Like them both, happy trails!

Last edited:
I think about selling my 80 to build something with tons and 40s a lot to be honest. It’s hard to be angry at something newer that you can build like a Lego. Bolt in cage, bolt on link kits, bolt on big axles/ brakes, ls swaps are stupid easy. It all just kinda work, it’s boring, but it works.

I think about selling my 80 to build something with tons and 40s a lot to be honest. It’s hard to be angry at something newer that you can build like a Lego. Bolt in cage, bolt on link kits, bolt on big axles/ brakes, ls swaps are stupid easy. It all just kinda work, it’s boring, but it works.
Ya but you just outlined a 100K build. and who's angry 🤷‍♂️
I think about a Buggy all the time but I would not sale the 80.
I just ran Fordyce and went over the same lines as the buggy's but with the AC on and no dust in my face ;)

And I prefer something a little more unique :cool:

Not sure if your assessment is true. Jeep is far superior offroad, especially rock crawling. I wheel with plenty of them.
I know you think I'm a '3FE hater' or whatever, but I fully agree. There are a million reasons to own an 80 over a Jeep, everyone here knows this, but if we're talking pure rock-crawling capability Jeep is the clear winner.

My locked 80 on 315's with 3" lift, but otherwise pretty stock seems to do just about the same stuff as a JK. I ran the trails around Moab with this guy when he was on 35's mostly stock and again when he was on 37's with custom axles and lots of money spent. Didn't seem to make much difference on the Moab trails. Also been around some jeep (and nissan) guys that suffered broken parts that really made me facepalm. But then, I've also snapped a toyota leaf spring pack in half and bent my radius arms. 🤷‍♂️

The best rig is whichever one makes you happy.

Ya but you just outlined a 100K build. and who's angry 🤷‍♂️
I think about a Buggy all the time but I would not sale the 80.
I just ran Fordyce and went over the same lines as the buggy's but with the AC on and no dust in my face ;)

And I prefer something a little more unique :cool:
Not entirely. A friend is building one now and he’s like 50 into it. Don’t get me wrong, that’s crazy expensive. But it’s objectively safer to drive on the road and on trail.

I love my 80 and I'm always surprised at where I can get it to fit. But also, all my buddies with toyota pickups or 4runners with dual cases and longfields are running Johnson Valley Hammers trails that would turn an 80 into a crumpled beer can.

The 80 series is awesome for 95% of wheeling, but that last 5% is where the shortcomings of the platform come through. Nothing wrong with using a different tool for a different job. You can make an 80 a rock crawler, just gotta work hard for it and be okay with taking the hits ;)

Welcome to mud 2 fish. No offense to the OP but damn this thread got derailed! Look at the picture posted. Were talking a well used 80 here. Looks to be from southern Colorado. Were talking about an original unmodified 80 not a rock crawler and a great selection of local high altitude forest road passes if that. From the list he put out there I assume the previous vehicles were in the same condition . Pretty sure the 80 has them beat hands down. Factory locker or not.
P.S. don't kill the family off and get them wheels pulled off and get the brake system up to par, pretty cheap maintenance and a great way to dig into the 80 to learn the mechanics. One of my first trips after visiting Christo in his garage and a few mods was Cumberland mountain west of Durango after passing through Telluride. Man them first gen SLEE arms too forever to arrive. Funny thing is I stuffed the 35's on the 80 while I waited with little to no problems.

1660962644472.png

My 1995 FZJ80 (Jose) is the best off-road vehicle I have ever driven. I learned to drive in a 1976 Jeep Wagoneer. I have owned an XJ and a TJ. I have owned an FJ55 (The Iron Pig) and a 2002 4Runner. I've owned a Nissan Hard Body, a K5 Chevy Blazer and a Tahoe. I've been off-road in a YJ and a JK. The FZJ80 is by far superior to them all. In places where the Jeeps spin and struggle for traction, Jose just drives up. The only time I feel compelled to put it in 4-lo is going down hill so I don't have to ride the brakes. I know there are modified rigs out there that would leave Jose behind and I haven't driven the most radical trails yet but as far as stock vehicles crawling around the mountains near me, the FZJ80 is king.View attachment 3090810
All this rock crawling talk, back to your initial comment about 4-lo.....yeah with the auto tranny and full time 4WD with the CDL switch, it's tempting to stay in 4-hi. But your tranny & torque converter will roast and so will your engine eventually. So, my suggestion is to use the gearing and it will help your 80 last longer. Plenty of info here on getting the cooling system healthy, but even with it healthy, you still need to keep the rpm up to allow that fan to pull air through the radiator. Vehicle speed helps, but the fan and fan clutch is a key element for healthy engine temps. My experience has been, when the weather gets hot, lugging the 1FZ engine when it's laboring really brings the heat. And heat that runs amuck is one of the biggest enemies for your drive train. Something you'll come to realize, even when running healthy, the 1FZ engine is one hot-blooded beast, from intake manifold all the way to your tailpipe.

Oh and don't trust that OEM engine temp gauge. Get and use the OBD 2 scanner or you can modify the gauge, or get an aftermarket one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom