How Long Did It Take You To Build Your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had mine 12 year's now, it's my second one. Just finished for the day, and it is scattered all over the garage. I am hoping to have it ready for this summer, all I'm missing is time......and $$$$$$$$$.

I've been working on my for almost a year. Its almost done.

I'm thinking I'll have her running within a month. Its been a great learning experience for me...

My '73 FJ40 - I tore it down in '02, completed a body on buildup, engine & wiring stayed as is. The motor was already rebuilt a few years before the teardown. I took a break sometime in '03 to gather funds & buy the *correct tools. I started mainly on the body, then link suspension & finished turning wrenches on the drivetrain. It sat for a very long time at 2 different shops getting driveshafts, custom axle shafts & rewired. So, it was totally done this September '06. There's a few minor touches left but I say it's done.

My '72 FJ55 - I started in Jan. '06. Right now I'm fabbin the link suspension, so I guess I'm *about halfway. I still haven't gotten to the drivetrain, so that's the next hurdle. I'm projection completion mid next year, that's if the engine is okay. I haven't cranked it in 8 years.....

I think it is safe to say most of us will never be done because there will always be something new we want to upgrade or fix, I have been told that it takes most people about 5 years to have a project completed if they are doing it on their own time and budget but there are always new things down the road you will want to do. It all depends on time, knowledge, and most importantly money. I started out with a free cruiser and a $4,000 budget I have doubled that and am not finished yet but I have allot of cool parts to look at

13 years and running strong, or my mind is. things i want to do.:D but 5 kids and a wife means it will be another 13.

i think that the most important thing is too keep the truck running in between mods. other wise you cant go out on the trail and learn the truck. If you have the $$$ i would think you could do all the mods in like 6mo. That said you would now have a truck that is to good for your own skills. You would be surprised how far driver skill can get you, look at Mark A he will take a done stock fj45 places that a full trail truck might not go. I would work in steps; gearing, safety, traction, lift, power steering, tires, winch, other junk.

17 and its getting more expensive every year...its a sickness but slightly more socially acceptable than heroin or crack...slightly :grinpimp:

:beer:

After 22 years of being married to this beast, I still think it's a lot cheaper than therapy or alimony. And the good times are priceless.

I realy don't think you are ever finished. Just when you think you're done with what you have you wind up getting another one. It's a sickness and I am glad my wife understands and likes cruisers too:D

its been 5 years since it started. Its been getting better and im heading towards a quicker recovery. Its been a long hard road, and still many more miles to cover. Wish me luck.

3 years and counting. So much left to do.....

Bought mine late summer 05. 1969 FJ40.

Started working on it summer 06. Didnt get started mainly due to $$. Doing a frame off. Have a body from a 71, and parts from all sorts of years up to a roll bar from an 81. Thats why I call it a Johny Cash special. My sig line has some pics of when I found it, and some of the restore. Need to add a lot of new pics. (better)

"plan" on being back on the road by July 1 07.

I have learned alot, and loved every minute of if. Thank god for an understanding wife. I've dropped over 5k into it so far and she hasnt batted an eye...

:cheers:

I've owned mine for 12 years and am still modifying things. It's a never ending process.

I've had mine for 2 years, worked my ass off on it the past 1 1/2 years. I finally started driving it a few weeks ago. Now I back waiting for parts and wrench time again. These things are all so old and need constant work, then there's the "well, I really like to..." that takes up the rest of it I guess.

I hate to say it as much time as I've spent working on this thing and the little time I've had driving it, I still look forward to wrenching on this and fixing that. As someone stated earlier, "it's a sickness". I've been infected and don't think I'll ever recover. I have the same problem with motorcycles and guns.

I am now trying to recruit someone to finish my 40......

I have tinkered with Ruftoys for 21 years now. As I go thru different phases of my life, my needs and interests change and the truck continues to change to reflect that. The rate of changes is dictated by the time I have to work on it and the amount of time I spend on the other rigs as the interest suits me. I didn't tinker with it at all while I was building Ruftoy2. Didn't do much of anything with it once I found Ruftoy3 until I joined Pirate4x4 and got re-energized about rock-wheeling. Now it's getting a reasonable amount of attention again. Custom rims in '04, sliders and new suspension in '05, Orion and Pertronix in '06.

Ruftoy2 was a frame-off, but it was already completely disassembled when I bought it. Farted around with the body for almost 6 months before I finally decided to hand off the 120+ pieces to a body shop for finish prep and paint. Took 6 weeks of nights and weekends to assemble the powertrain on the bare frame and reassemble the body, working 2-3hrs a day. I only work on it when I find a better quality resto part to replace one that is already on it.

Ruftoy3 is my best effort to modify a rig and keep it running for the duration. My DD since '95. Having lowered my standards on paint to rattle-can level, I find I can do most mods in a weekend, preping and painting the exposed areas of the truck as I go. For example, I put myself on a two week limit when I pulled the engine, cleaned as much of the firewall and frame as I could in that time, and dropped my new engine in. It's cleaner than most trail rigs, but not as clean as a resto.

Hth

Mark A.

I started with one and wanted to do a resto on it hence plan A and so I bought another and made it as a DD....Needless to say I worked on the drivetrain and engine on both instead of doing plan A. And just like some of the other people on this board I found another project to work on, fj45lv. The hardest part about doing a resto for me has been getting the right tools to do mods and and being able to locate "hard to find parts".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom