How Long Did It Take You To Build Your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JJS

Threads
I'm at a little over a year right now. I've had it a little longer, but didn't do much the first few months. I think I bought it around Oct. '05. The thing was a real trainwreck, but it's coming together. I've still got quite a bit to do. I'm hoping this will be the year. Unfortunately, money is always tight.

I'm at a little over a year right now. I've had it a little longer, but didn't do much the first few months. I think I bought it around Oct. '05. The thing was a real trainwreck, but it's coming together. I've still got quite a bit to do. I'm hoping this will be the year. Unfortunately, money is always tight.
Howdy! Seriously, there is no end in sight!! I bought my stock, running, Piggy over 19 years ago, and I am still finding some things that I want to do to it, and of course, a few things that I HAVE to do to it. For example, by drag link fell off the other day, so I tells the wife, I HAVE to convert it to High Steer. That's a 1 bannana job, and darn well worth the $$. John

Let's see, that would be 22 years and counting.

Bought the donar in Aug 06, hope to have it running and driving for May 07 for the beach. Bought the useable tub in Nov 06. It will be about %80 by then. But I work untill the money runs out! couple weeks till I get realy busy working and it will get shoved into the corner and only worked on at night.

The frame needs sandblast/galv
body needs sandblast/paint/liner
sheetmetal needs sandblast /paint
motor, pertronix is in, and waiting on the head to come back :) still need to swap to 3sp case and 4spd all into one...

F'ing long process just wish I had more money to make it GO faster :lol:

Been working on mine for about a year and a half now. On and off due to tight budget and time. Hopefully this summer is the one.;)

Like the Winchester house...

Building on my for 38 years so far. And I should get the new skid plate finished by this Tuesday and out of the garage to enjoy for the summer:grinpimp: .
It's never ending...:lol:

Jerry D.

only owned my 40 for 3years, and it's still not done...it's all about the journey :D

I've been working on my 40 off and on for seven years, money and moving around have slowed progress big time.

Started in 09/88...

12 years and counting. it's off the frame right now.(again)

Back when I had some really good help, I could turn a cosmetic resto around pretty quick. Two weeks was the record, but it was night and day. I've been restoring my 1980 for the second time since thanksgiving before last...

I bought my '74 FJ40 3 years ago, added front discs, P/S and just getting it to run right. Then last November I emptied my pockets and took it down to the frame. Four months later it's almost ready for paint.

I've had my head buried in the engine bay for 4.5 years now, took 3 to restore it to the current condition. I'm still gonna find little things to do to it though. It's a never-ending process. Same principle as the aviation industry: 90% done, 90% to go...

I bought it with everything major I wanted already on it - I wouldn't have bought an unbuilt truck (I don't like wrenching for the sake of it - I wanna go wheeling :bounce:)

I only improved the "livability" such as disk brakes all around, noise reduction, carpet softening the ride, new shocks, softtop repair, and de-rattling; "reliability" such as wiring, switches rebuilt or new installed, carburetor rebuilt, replacing the dry-rotted tires and a new battery, and going through the entire steering assembly; "survivability" such as rust prevention and enforcement of roll cage attachment points; and "wheelability" such as a better seat for me, CB installation, beefier tie rod, new ARB switches and a new ARB solenoid

took about 4-5 months, from Easter Jeep Safari 2005 in Moab to Blazer Bash 2005 in Moab :flipoff2:

since then, Kevin boxed the frame for me, and I needed a new bumper because the OEM got attacked by a rock

Last edited:
Ive hade my 40 for around 15 years drove it for 6 mounths then parked it it fix it 13 1/2 years later I'm fixin it hope to have it done this year if the money permits.

every one needs a dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom