How Long Did It Take You To Build Your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my first FJ40 in 1980. Including two parts cars i"ve had five total. The first one I bought is the one I still have. Just finished the third restoration since buying it. One resto due to rust, the second due to a blown engine, the third time, well, it just needed it. It took nine years but it sat gathering dust about 80% of that time.

F Junker commented that these trucks are old and in constant need of work. I politely disagree with that statement. After all, it is a Toyota...

I've had mine for 2 years, worked my ass off on it the past 1 1/2 years. I finally started driving it a few weeks ago. Now I back waiting for parts and wrench time again. These things are all so old and need constant work, then there's the "well, I really like to..." that takes up the rest of it I guess.

I hate to say it as much time as I've spent working on this thing and the little time I've had driving it, I still look forward to wrenching on this and fixing that. As someone stated earlier, "it's a sickness". I've been infected and don't think I'll ever recover. I have the same problem with motorcycles and guns.

I think when all is said and done, mine won't need a ton of regular maintenance. Most everything is new. It's just getting to the point of phase one being done that's tough. Then I get to look forward to having it inspected. :rolleyes:

I'm going on 5 years so far.....pretty much ever since I bought it. Is there ever an end in sight you might ask? It's up to you. Mine's 90% the way I want it, but next cometh the ARB lockers/compressor and the Longfields. Then I'll see what breaks and go from there. Good luck! :cheers:

He He He, Ha Ha Ha!!!! Finished....even when you're done, you're not done. The 40 was begun in 1992...it's still fun but never finished!

Rich

"how long?"

Don't know, I'll tell ya when I'm done.

About 5 months start to finish working on it 30 hours per week on average. I had someone else do the paint but that was about it. And I was working with bear skins and stones.

goin on 4 and a half months now. I ran into alot of shops that didn't back their work and stand true to what they agreed to do. kinda makes things drag on but it has been a blast a rough and tough blast.

one year and a couple months to finally get it on the road...

but i mean the journey ain't over dude its gonna keep getting modified till i have just an engine and tires...lol

I try and get everything that I plan to do to my pile done right about this time of year (need to get my ass in gear!) just before wheeling season, and then I leave the SOB alone and just wheel, only turning wrenches to keep it operational.

Parts and metal are in the mail :grinpimp:

I'll let you know when I find out.

I didn't read the thread but I know it's already been said. :grinpimp:

I've been working on mine for over 10 years. I just finished up two years on blocks and already have a new wish list of stuff I want to do.

I've been reading for a couple years and accumulating the odd part here and there but mostly just thinking and saving cash. I decided when I bought my cruiser that I didn't want a truck that wasn't driveable for more than a year when I rebuilt it so I'm trying to plan and save as much as possible. I figure if I have a bunch of money set aside then there shouldn't be a huge delay in getting it together. Once my finances are all saved up I'm ordering a complete Aqualu package. It'll show up once my frame is ready and all my interior is sitting completed in the basement. Fit the body, send it for paint, install the wiring and interior and hopefully have the truck on the road within 6 months of pulling it into the shop. I know I don't have the patience to let it sit in pieces for very long. I realize my plan is very optimistic and there'll be snags along the way but I think I should be close to pulling it off, starting this fall ....Steve

Hmmm.... been in the family for 16 years. I aquired it through brothers divorce about 8 years ago. Started really working on it 3 years ago. Got serious about it last year. Hope to be finished in maybe two more... All work done by myself.

I have had my 74 FJ40 since spring 1992, drove it 3 times. Bought it with a bad 2F, bought a used 2F from a crook, it went sour in exactly 75 miles. 3 cooked pistons and a bunch of other problems. So I decided to do a V-8 conversion, bought all the parts. Maybe this year I might put it togother enough to drive it again.

forever

The license plate has 04 tags on it, two days ago it came out of the garage for the first time since july of 04, and i towed it out its still not under its own power hopefully today but the body is still beat up so it will be moving again just not done

3 years and a few odd months. Jim C lives 20 minutes from my house so that is a huge advantage. I tried to average an hour or two a night and at least 4-6 straight on the weekends. Mine was literally a basket case. I brought home 5 gallon buckets full of parts that I had to figure out what the hell they were. Previous owner started a frame off and went nuts with a air gun with no attempt to mark or catalog anything. Don't give up or get discourage-the fun is truely in the journey. Without the journey I would not have met any of the guys in my club or learn to turn a wrench and weld. God speed my friend

It has been 10+ years since and I am still working on the truck...The sad things is over the years I saw shops that I bought parts/services from have closed down, part guys who passed away or moved on to other things but I am still here still working on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom