HD Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bsevans

Focus on the Journey
Threads
I just wanted to share some photos of the FJ40 skid plate I just had fabricated here in Tucson. Except for one small triangular gusset it is made from one piece of 3/8" steel plate using a CNC precision plasma cutter. All the slots, holes and outer edges are smooth to the touch and need no secondary finish work. As you can see from the photo, I extended the skid plate back to fully protect the emergency brake.
Skid Plate 10.jpg
Skid Plate 11.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's tough looking. I am thinking of trying to make as much of a full belly skid as i can by the end of the summer.

HD Skid Plate Mounted

I forgot to post that this is a 78 FJ40 that after 15 years of rock crawling and general 4-wheeling has been restored. I've owned this beast for 20 years I have designed numerous modifications that are purely functional. I will post additonal threads for each item I have designed so others can use it if they so desire. I also should point out that the company that worked with me to fabricate this proto-type will build additional ones if you contact them. If anyone wants to call them, let me know and I will give you the engineer's name and phone number.
Skid Plate 14R.jpg
Skid Plate 15R.jpg
Skid Plate 16R.jpg

Last edited:
HD Skid Plate Weight

80-85 pounds. You can high center the vehicle on the skid plate and it will not flex enough to touch either the transfer case or the transmission.

Last edited:
Another Photo of it Mounted

Here is another photo that shows how the skid plate marries to the edge of the frame.

Contact information if your interested in purchasing one:
Caid Industries
Dave Watson
NEW NUMBER as of 01/31/07 - 520-889-7775
The prototype was under $400
Skid Plate 13R.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be afraid of bending one of those little allen heads over. One small rock and good luck getting a allen wrench in there and those are small enough that pliers won't be much help. You might want to look for some hardware that is a little more stout at the head.

It is going in my idea folder for later review....

A common problem on pre 1988 Land Cruisers is the failure of the oil seal between the transmission and transfer case. When this occurs the transfer case tends to pump gear oil into the transmission, starving the transfer case of oil. it connects the two filler holes, so the transmission can return oil to the transfer case as needed.

or i could be way off... but i dunno... it seems like a goofy mod. wouldn't you just replace the seal?

Consider the difficults of splitting the tranny and tcase Vs installing a hose ;)

BTW, you cut that statement from somewhere huh ;)

:flipoff2:

Allen Head Bolts & Hose

The allen head bolts you see are 12.9 rated. When and if I bend one over, I'll install the 10.9 hex heads I have in my shop. The "bent" allen heads can be removed with vice grips.
As far as the hose is concerened, I've had my seal go out 3 times over the course of 20 years. My experience as a mechanical engineer is that the hoses' primary purpose is to allow the pressure differential between the tranny and the transfer case that causes the fluid pumping past the bad seal to be minimized thus reducuing the amount of fluid being pumped and allowing for any fluid that is pumped into the tranny to drain back down and not eventually cause the tranny front seal to fail from over pressure due to eccessive fluid in the tranny. That hose is a steel braided -08 Parker Tough Cover with crimped fittings and adapters from McMaster-Carr. Far superior to the kits you can find at Specter Off Road or Man-A-Fre.
When I put the new Centerforce clutch in I will replace the seal. The hose will stay installed, as I believe that it will extend the life of the seal.

Last edited:
Sa-weet!

That is one BURLY plate and very nicely done! Wow!

bsevans said:
The allen head bolts you see are 12.9 rated. When and if I bend one over, I'll install the 10.9 hex heads I have in my shop. The "bent" allen heads can be removed with vice grips.
As far as the hose is concerened, I've had my seal go out 3 times over the course 20 years. My experience as a mechanical engineer is that the hoses' primary purpose is to allow the pressure differential between the tranny and the transfer case that causes the fluid pumping past the bad seal to be minimized thus reducuing the amount of fluid being pumped and allowing for any fluid that is pumped into the tranny to drain back down and not eventually cause the tranny front seal to fail from over pressure due to eccessive fluid in the tranny. That hose is a steel braided -08 Parker Tough Cover with crimped fittings and adapters from McMaster-Carr. Far superior to the kits you can find at Specter Off Road or Man-A-Fre.
When I put the new Centerforce clutch in I will replace the seal. The hose will stay installed, as I believe that it will extend the life of the seal.
You experience as a mechanical engineer should also tell you that if you have a pressure difference between the tranny and tcase you have an issue. They are both vented to the atmosphere....

I would check the vents next time you rebuild it..

And that is a Very nice plate..

Vents

That is a very valid point. My intention is to convert the vent ports on both and run them to the vent canister on the upper firewall where I already have vent lines for both axles. I've already done this on the Australian transfer case I've rebuilt. I need to find the time to do the clutch job. You would think that when you retire you have all the time in the world – NOT SO! I’ve spent the last 4 months working on my turbo diesel 4x4.

Life has a nasty habit of not givig you enough time to do what you want, ever...

Enjoy retirement.. You deserve it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom