How is everyone doing? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember being fired from my reporter job at a General Electric television station in Denver way back when. Sideways with my immediate superior but the general manager didn't want to let me go. "What am I going to do," he asked. "You're going to fire me," I replied, "He's more valuable to you than I am." They sent a HR guy out from one of their light bulb factories to "counsel" me. "This'll be on your record," he warned. "Thirty years from now will this really make any difference," I asked. That did it, I was out. Left the exit interview to close on our first house. Immediately afterward, went to the Brown Palace in Denver for dinner, looking up over my prime rib to ask Bonnie "What the hell are we doing here."
It's now 46 years later. It doesn't make any difference. Many successes and failures since then but life has been more than good. Key is not to look back...when you hit these intersections, go right or left but never second guess your decision.

Thanks Jim.
I love the dinner at the Brown Palace! We had been planning on getting cable TV so we could get NFL Red Zone for the boy. Even with the new uncertainty, we went out and did it this weekend. Not sure if that is naivete, or a confidence that this is just a bump in the road, but we did it. The boy was thrilled!
46 years is a lot of perspective - thank you.

PS: the bit about doing this w/ the guy from Light Bulbs is just icing on the cake!

I like that last bit, Jim.
Leaving a place after 13 years has got to be tough. I am coming up on 13 at my current company. I thought I was OK during the last 7 months. I guess I wasn't. We were busy before COVID and it felt like we got busier after. Almost the whole office was remote and other departments started hiring new people. Working with them being so green and not able to mold them into their position made it difficult for me to get projects complete. The whole remote work was a nice option but really brought on new challenges.

There were challenges at home too. From home schooling to IT issues. My wife is somewhat at risk to get COVID so we really cut ourselves off other than getting food or seeing Steve. Poor Peyton has had only a few interactions with other kids. I got really tough to work with and live with and thought I needed to move on. A lot of talking, thinking, searching myself and I realized that I would just take all of it with me somewhere else. A lot of good things have happened, and are happening for us and I just needed to let go of the crap and concentrate on the good going on. Sometimes hard to find in all of this lately, but we both work and do well, and we live well and we are healthy. I had gotten enough side work to fund the rest of my Pig's transformation. It can be so much worse, and is for a lot of people.

So, I don't know if I am helping you, TJ, or myself. I guess take a good look at it all and see if a move is the right choice. If so, I'd reread what Jim said. Cheers.

Sound like you are on the verge of some major changes as well!
It sounds like a lot of people are contemplating their current situations during these Strange Days. I guess I am lucky to be able to take a look at things.
Let's keep each other motivated!

More often than not, from what I’ve observed, people end up doing waaaaay better when they leave a job they’ve been at 15, 20 years, and make a career change, or just a company upgrade. There’s always that security you latch onto with the job you’ve been at for years, and the uncertainty of breaking away to do something new. So often the feedback is, “Wish I would have left/changed sooner!”

More often than not, from what I’ve observed, people end up doing waaaaay better when they leave a job they’ve been at 15, 20 years, and make a career change, or just a company upgrade. There’s always that security you latch onto with the job you’ve been at for years, and the uncertainty of breaking away to do something new. So often the feedback is, “Wish I would have left/changed sooner!”

I am already starting to think that I should have started looking around sooner... I feel rather silly for not doing that.

I remember being fired from my reporter job at a General Electric television station in Denver way back when. Sideways with my immediate superior but the general manager didn't want to let me go. "What am I going to do," he asked. "You're going to fire me," I replied, "He's more valuable to you than I am." They sent a HR guy out from one of their light bulb factories to "counsel" me. "This'll be on your record," he warned. "Thirty years from now will this really make any difference," I asked. That did it, I was out. Left the exit interview to close on our first house. Immediately afterward, went to the Brown Palace in Denver for dinner, looking up over my prime rib to ask Bonnie "What the hell are we doing here."
It's now 46 years later. It doesn't make any difference. Many successes and failures since then but life has been more than good. Key is not to look back...when you hit these intersections, go right or left but never second guess your decision.

Still cracking up about this Jim...

Your co-worker: "Oh shoot - it's Sheldon, from Light Bulbs! He is one bad hombre! Who did you piss off Jim?!?"

Still cracking up about this Jim...

Your co-worker: "Oh shoot - it's Sheldon, from Light Bulbs! He is one bad hombre! Who did you piss off Jim?!?"
It was our Realtor who was in a state of shock. He and Bonnie were waiting when I arrived at the closing and told her the result of the meeting just concluded with Light Bulb Guy. All he could say was "Don't say another word about this until after all the papers are signed." Great little house on the creek just past the Brook Forest Inn in Evergreen. It was good to be within crawling distance home from the bar. If you know the song "Rippling Waters" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Jimmy Ibbotson supposedly wrote it while living in one the the BFI rentals along that creek.

I am already starting to think that I should have started looking around sooner... I feel rather silly for not doing that.

The best time to find a new job is when you don't need one. I learned that one the hard way several years back.

I feel very fortunate that I’m not dealing with loss of job/income/home during these unusual times. I am blessed with good health and family nearby. Our needs are simple and we don’t mind staying on our six acres in town. It is really difficult to watch my best friend and partner slowly slip down the slippery slope of demise. We’re all headed in that direction, but really wish I could’ve gotten more of her independent time. All of you lucky souls that still have a vibrant healthy partner, make sure you let them know how special they are. Life can change in a heartbeat.

Since it's already tomorrow here, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope everyone has a great and safe time with friends and family. I'm in northern KSA flying back to Riyadh around noon. Have to immediately light the BGE and cook a brined butterball for the evening's festivities.....labor of love!

:cheers:

Since it's already tomorrow here, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope everyone has a great and safe time with friends and family. I'm in northern KSA flying back to Riyadh around noon. Have to immediately light the BGE and cook a brined butterball for the evening's festivities.....labor of love!

:cheers:
Dont forget to Buttah the BALLS 😳🤣🦃. Happy Thanksgiving 😊 😃

Dont forget to Buttah the BALLS 😳🤣🦃. Happy Thanksgiving 😊 😃
Got a Turkey over here with your name on it @bobm

ADAE7245-E650-489E-9B95-8BC1C4C516FD.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom