HJ60 driveway resto/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Nick

so here goes,

For the gap I used short strand fiber glass, let dry then ground down flat, after that I used bondo to get it perfect.

When your actually putting the panel on you need something to glue to, so i fished a plate behind so that I had a lip that I could glue to if that makes sense.

This is where the clecos came in, No matter how exact you are you are going to have a gap between the existing panel and your glues on patch. I think using my pictures as reference this process should make sense.

personally I tack welded along the bottom of the panel but maybe its possible to use the adhesive.

Cheers,
This is great info.! Thank you for sharing it with me. I really appreciate it.

Yes, the plates that you worked up make very good sense. That's just the sort of ingenuity that I need to get my truck sorted out.

I'm going to borrow my neighbor's welder and go pick up a couple of crappy panels from the junkyard for some practice. Going the tack-weld route sounds like the way to go, and I'm guessing, with a little practice, I could manage that without botching things up two much. My fear with taking the all-welding approach is that I would blow through and warp my new and existing panels.

Thanks again for the info. and the inspiration.

Take it easy.

This is great info.! Thank you for sharing it with me. I really appreciate it.

Yes, the plates that you worked up make very good sense. That's just the sort of ingenuity that I need to get my truck sorted out.

I'm going to borrow my neighbor's welder and go pick up a couple of crappy panels from the junkyard for some practice. Going the tack-weld route sounds like the way to go, and I'm guessing, with a little practice, I could manage that without botching things up two much. My fear with taking the all-welding approach is that I would blow through and warp my new and existing panels.

Thanks again for the info. and the inspiration.

Take it easy.
I'm Stoked I can help,

Warp was the main motive to going with the adhesive the other is that it can't rust...

Tack welds along the bottom will be very easy, lots of resources available for learning welding too, YouTube is a great place

Cheers

So I had some times on my hand last week prior to staring a new job and figured the truck needed some bumpers, Both bumpers were built of rectangle tube and I 1/8 plate. I built the front around a winch mount I already had which was nice because I didn't have to bend anything. Anyway now I can drive into stuff and winch the truck around is needed. Or say across and river if hydro-locked but that's another story..

Oh and I used TMR's spindle kit and latch which after driving 1000 km to my new job with the truck seems to work well.

IMG_3660.jpg
64195008123__DABD337D-C2A2-489D-BDA5-C4356A2B9F5B.jpg

rear bumper was built around a cross member I previously welded on so rear bumper is removable.
IMG_3637.jpg

And for the front bumper, also removable by like 10 bolts I think.
64117469502__D9E94A69-F8A8-49DC-936F-70F5DB6865A2.jpg
64108293227__0E751206-2630-4BE0-87AA-35D52C65529A.jpg

I'm happy to provide more information or pictures to those interested in the process.

Nothin wrong with those. Nice work. What size tubing did you use for the rear?

how did i miss this young canuck's build thread? 1st off, a late welcome aboard this crazy train from an old canuck :flipoff2:
it's refreshing to see young ones tear into the old $h!t physically instead of throwing wheelbarrow fulls of mom n dad's $$$$$$ into it👍
you're doing fine, carry on.

how did i miss this young canuck's build thread? 1st off, a late welcome aboard this crazy train from an old canuck :flipoff2:
it's refreshing to see young ones tear into the old $h!t physically instead of throwing wheelbarrow fulls of mom n dad's $$$$$$ into it👍
you're doing fine, carry on.
Cheers dude, build is going pretty well I think, next step is to get some real power under the hood.... 12ht is planned for next summer :)

Question for you all,

Is there a better way or better mounts for the sway bar on the rear axle?

I keep blowing the clips off when I drive off roads or any kind of non paved driving.

Question for you all,

Is there a better way or better mounts for the sway bar on the rear axle?

I keep blowing the clips off when I drive off roads or any kind of non paved driving.
Man-a-Fre offers extended sway bark linkages for the 60/62. My rear sway bar is off right now, and there are many members here who advise removing the rear sway bar while off-roading (but re-installing for better manners during daily driving). I'm in the midst of doing my build and will be install the Man-a-Fre links when I get to that point.

Here is the link: Extended Sway Bar Linkage

Man-a-Fre offers extended sway bark linkages for the 60/62. My rear sway bar is off right now, and there are many members here who advise removing the rear sway bar while off-roading (but re-installing for better manners during daily driving). I'm in the midst of doing my build and will be install the Man-a-Fre links when I get to that point.

Here is the link: Extended Sway Bar Linkage
I'll look into them,

I'd totally just pull em off but I don't want to store them and have to get the truck passed another out of province inspection....

I'll look into them,

I'd totally just pull em off but I don't want to store them and have to get the truck passed another out of province inspection....
Totally understand.

I'm adding a leaf to my front and rears (OME light/medium to medium/heavy) so the extra length should work out, I hope. Literally waiting for the KBS paint to dry on my gutters so that I can reseal them and then get onto body work next week...

Watching paint dry means it's time for a brew!

Take it easy.

Totally understand.

I'm adding a leaf to my front and rears (OME light/medium to medium/heavy) so the extra length should work out, I hope. Literally waiting for the KBS paint to dry on my gutters so that I can reseal them and then get onto body work next week...

Watching paint dry means it's time for a brew!

Take it easy.
I have the heavy lift and I like it a lot, I do have front and rear bumpers though, and prior to those it rode very poorly.

Watching paint dry is always a good time for a beer.

Cheers

I have the heavy lift and I like it a lot, I do have front and rear bumpers though, and prior to those it rode very poorly.

Watching paint dry is always a good time for a beer.

Cheers
Me too, man... shortly. My bumpers are hanging out in my barn/garage waiting to be installed. When I add the leaves, I’ve also got to do my c channels from Trail Tailor... and body work and paint... just looking at that list makes me want to crack open a 🍺 😆

Well it's a new week which means more questions for you all,

First is my leaf spring bushings are very worn to the point where the axle seems to be clunking around when flexed or steering...

What I'm wondering is how bad would it be to just replace the worn bushings ? The hard mount to the frame ones seem fine its just the ones on the shackles that seem bad. So can I just do those ?

Second question is regarding the Dometic fridges, It turns out I know someone who works for them so I have a chance to get a discount on one and I figured I'd take that, but I don't know anything about them or wiring them up... where should I start for research? I'm on 24v so that complicates things slightly.

Was thinking about this one,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom