HJ60 driveway resto/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it was on deceleration only. It felt like the opposite of a bad u-joint, which often show themselves during applied throttle.

No matter what, you should check the drive flanges for looseness - you never want that, and I know plenty of Toyotas with flanges that have worked loose over the years.

I think it was on deceleration only. It felt like the opposite of a bad u-joint, which often show themselves during applied throttle.

No matter what, you should check the drive flanges for looseness - you never want that, and I know plenty of Toyotas with flanges that have worked loose over the years.
I’ll check it !
Cheers

IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG

Pictures of cleaning the neutral safety switch for the second time,

I've been having issues with it not working on mornings when we get rain or snow. Figured moisture was getting in somehow and was proven correct when i opened it up today. My fix was to use FIPG around the gasket to make it water tight, if this doesn't work ill have to source a new one but should be good to go.

Also below are cool pictures of truck camping

The next big things that will happen to the truck provided the transmission continues to work are;

Webasto heater at Christmas as i will have access to a garage again - if there is a good thread for this let me know...

Seats to make it more comfortable on long drives, HJ61 seats or mabye a JDM recaro seat i'm not sure....

Also pretty sure I need to do my injectors, which sucks because they are expensive. I think that because my mileage isn't where it should be and i'm getting shaky starts. I may just have them cleaned and tested but I figure given the truck has an unknown amount of mileage they are most likely due.

Cheers !!!

Last edited:
Wow this project is sick !!

I'm in my twenties too and restoring the exact same truck with the same two tone but I'm in Quebec.

Literally just saw your tread

It looks awesome man keep up the good work!!

Wow this project is sick !!

I'm in my twenties too and restoring the exact same truck with the same two tone but I'm in Quebec.

Literally just saw your tread

It looks awesome man keep up the good work!!
Stoked to hear it!

truck has been great so far !!

good luck with your build and post some pictures !

Great work and write up. I hope I never have to do any of that body work though! The two tone has always been my favorite color.

Webasto heater at Christmas as i will have access to a garage again - if there is a good thread for this let me know...

Try searching the Diesel Tech forum. I used to hang out there when I had my LJ78, and I recall a fair bit of discussion about Webastos etc.

Too bad we are far away ! Looks almost the same

That thing is a beast man !

Is it running the auto ? and is it re-geared ?

I think the two tone is the best,
Personally I wanted to paint the truck white like the UN trucks because I think that's cool but my girlfriend had the final say :)

I have not re geared it , it has not bothered me yet!! Heading to bc for boarding season , we should meet if you go to Vancouver sometimes

I'm in North Van but my cruiser is on the island.

I have not re geared it , it has not bothered me yet!! Heading to bc for boarding season , we should meet if you go to Vancouver sometimes
I'm in North Van but my cruiser is on the island.
I'm up in Prince George for school right now, we get a lot more snow than down there but less vert,

I'll be in Van for school in a year though haha.

So if the backcountry thing is something your into northern BC is great but if your looking for resort stuff its not so good

Cheers !
Jacob

I was born in PG and then moved back for a few years in my teenage. Last month I went as far north as Williams Lake up the Fraser Canyon then came back due to the smoke. I really want to get up north and possibly the Yukon next summer. I don't know if the cruiser will be ready for that, I might need to take the 4runner again.

I was born in PG and then moved back for a few years in my teenage. Last month I went as far north as Williams Lake up the Fraser Canyon then came back due to the smoke. I really want to get up north and possibly the Yukon next summer. I don't know if the cruiser will be ready for that, I might need to take the 4runner again.
I'd highly recommend going up the Yukon i've done the run a couple times and the scenery is unreal,
last year we did it in two 80s and it was pretty rad, the passes are big through a couple sections so make sure your cooling is in order.

Dog legs… my advice would be don't make your own. It is well worth the money to save yourself time. That being said I used the the wolf auto ones and it took a still took a stupid amount of clamping, hammering and fab to make them work.

You may have to zoom in to see what I’m talking about but if you have any questions just let me know.
Howdy @CruiserCobes, I just came across your build thread. It's excellent. Thank you for sharing all of this.

I've got the Wolf Steel fender/dog leg/quarter and rocker patch panels too. I've can get access to a welder, but my skills are non-existent.

So, the body panel adhesive route that you took is tempting me (when the weather gets a bit better!).

Taking you up on your offer, I've got a couple of questions ;):
- after you cut out your rust and trimmed your new panels to the correct size did you overlap the new patches (place them over the lip of the panels on the your truck), or did you manage to butt the seams somehow?
- If you did overlap them, did you use body filler to feather the seams?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I really appreciate it.

Howdy @CruiserCobes, I just came across your build thread. It's excellent. Thank you for sharing all of this.

I've got the Wolf Steel fender/dog leg/quarter and rocker patch panels too. I've can get access to a welder, but my skills are non-existent.

So, the body panel adhesive route that you took is tempting me (when the weather gets a bit better!).

Taking you up on your offer, I've got a couple of questions ;):
- after you cut out your rust and trimmed your new panels to the correct size did you overlap the new patches (place them over the lip of the panels on the your truck), or did you manage to butt the seams somehow?
- If you did overlap them, did you use body filler to feather the seams?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I really appreciate it.
Hi Nick

so here goes,

For the gap I used short strand fiber glass, let dry then ground down flat, after that I used bondo to get it perfect.

When your actually putting the panel on you need something to glue to, so i fished a plate behind so that I had a lip that I could glue to if that makes sense.

This is where the clecos came in, No matter how exact you are you are going to have a gap between the existing panel and your glues on patch. I think using my pictures as reference this process should make sense.

personally I tack welded along the bottom of the panel but maybe its possible to use the adhesive.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom