FJ60 first time buyer. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I am brand new to this forum and I will hopefully be brand new to FJ60 ownership in the near future.

My general goal is to find an example that is mechanically sound enough to be used as a short commute daily driver, with a view towards upgrading the brakes, suspension, drivetrain, and if needed, the interior, in that order, over the next few years.

I am currently considering the purchase of a 1984 FJ60 (see link below) with about 270K miles. The owner is asking $12K and claims it may actually be worth around $16K. I remain a skeptical hippo on this point, but I am open to following the evidence where ever it leads me.

A few significant sounding upgrades/maintenance items are listed in the seller's description and that seems to be a primary source of the seller's perceived value of the truck. Some of the work has been done by the seller, some at a place called Redline Cruisers of CO, which seems to be a somewhat well known shop.

I don't think I should give any more than $9K for the truck, but I worry that I might still be coming in way too high, given the high mileage and condition of the interior. The exterior is definitely not perfect - there are a few small dings on multiple body panels, etc. - but to my eye it is a stunner.

I am mechanically inclined and plan to do as much work as I can myself, leaving only major stuff like engine swaps and the like to professionals. But if you are taking the time to read and hopefully respond to this post then please assume you know way more than I do. Any and all advice and guidance on the purchase of the beautiful blue FJ60 in the link below would be much appreciated!

Used Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale - CarGurus

I wouldn't pay anymore than $8k at most. Only reason I'd pay $8k is if you can look at every corner of the frame and body and verify no rust and original paint.

Fyi, the truck probably has some vacuum problems as the egr vacuum isn't hooked up. If you get him to hook it up, it will most likely hesitate like a mad man is my guess (bargaining chips) especially when ice cold.

I wouldn't pay anymore than $8k at most. Only reason I'd pay $8k is if you can look at every corner of the frame and body and verify no rust and original paint.

Fyi, the truck probably has some vacuum problems as the egr vacuum isn't hooked up. If you get him to hook it up, it will most likely hesitate like a mad man is my guess (bargaining chips) especially when ice cold.
Thank you! That is good info!

Thank you! That is good info!

I assume you can see it is disconnected in one of the photos; could you point it out to me please?

I assume you can see it is disconnected in one of the photos; could you point it out to me please?

There is probably more but having EGR disconnected is a pretty common change that people do to avoid hesitation that plagues these motors due to the number of vacuum operated systems.

The circled broken hose connects to port Q of the vacuum modulator which is seen in the pic below.

You could be a real prick and take a vacuum gauge to read vacuum at idle. :D

But in all honesty, the only parts you should truly care about is rust. The rest can be serviced in intervals as you drive the truck.

vacuum3-jpg.101200

fj60 vacuum.jpg

Engine repair is not complex and I do not see it as a huge issue.

The rust on the wheel wells and the fact that it looks like every single piece of body has been dented is a huge issue for me. 12K for a truck that looks like a golf ball? I know the hail storms last summer in the Denver area were bad, but dang..

If you just want to go out and beat the body against rocks then it's worth whatever you feel it is. I do know of a FJ62 in excellent condition that you can pick up for ~ 14K.

Last edited:
I'd agree $8K MAX (only because it's on east coast). Anywhere else that is a 5-6K rig. There are gems out there (MUD classified is an excellent source). Be patient, and find one you feel good in the gut about laying your hard earned money on. Ask tons of questions (of us as well as seller) and become the guy that knows more about what your buying than the guy selling it to you. Good luck, and can't wait to see what drives up!

Looks like it's had a respray... Frame looks like it's probably in great shape - but I still wouldn't pay more than $5k for it given the shape of the body and interior... It all depends on how long you're willing to look.

Paid $8500 for a 200k 60 with no body rust and just dry desert like surface corrosion on the chassis. The interior on mine is cleaner than this one and mine came with every oil filter box top dated with oil change info and all service records and receipts. 100% stock.

Its very different in uk as every 60 i have seen for sale has a rusty chassis, is diesel -a 2H and Manual. Have had mine 18 months and in that time have not seen another ine on the road. So only brain dead enthusiasts like me would buy one. Cruiserworld are excellent for parts but pricey.
So the average 60 is about $5000 but will need lots of rust sorting, the interior will likely be shot and all seals will be leaking underneath, so lots if work and cost but these can be sorted while driving.
Smog isnt a problem here which is a bonus.
So for me a $12k truck with everything maintained and serviced and a wallet full of receipts for new parts could be a better deal than an $8k one with a huge todo list.
But the doing is the fun bit!!
Do, ask lots of questions, seek evidence and hardest of all be patient.

That's an $8K truck to me. Start adding it up - bumpers, carpet, paint/body, upholstery, emission sorting, neglected maintenance, and VERY high miles. Not the worst truck ever, but not anywhere near 12-16K. FJ60s and 62s aren't really rare - check how many are on Mud classifieds. Be patient.

You mention upgrading brakes and drive line. If kept in tip-top shape, it's not like these trucks have terrible brakes or a weak drive line. Pouring money into a truck is easy, but only do it as really needed - (I would agree that the suspension is usually shot, that's almost a given). Good luck with your search.

It's funny, everyone here says they wouldn't PAY over around $8K for it, but nobody here would dare sell that nice cruiser for $8K if it was THEIR truck. That's too low. The body looks nice and there's no real rust on the frame. Looks like new paint...which is nice.

Personally, if that was my truck I wouldn't sell it for less than 12K. It's worth that much to somebody. If the seller is patient, he'll get his asking price.

If you buy it for near 12K, you can be happy that you got a clean cruiser. There's not that many nice ones around anymore. But buying a used car always involves some haggling. It goes with the territory. So although his asking price is 12K, he knows he's going to have to sell it for a bit less. He's probably hoping he'll get 10 to 10.5 for it.

Offering 8K is insulting. You'll be wasting everyone's time.

Buy low, sell high. It doesn't look like that bad of a truck to me. I do agree, however, that it is not a $12K truck. He's asking top dollar and then some.

$12k for that blue junk? Then my POS should be $20k, like everyone mentioned $8K would be a good starting point and don't rush in wait for the right one. It took me over 2 years until I found mine for $2300 with 195k at that time California car for most of it's life.

I'll sell you mine and cover shipping for $10k! You could use the last $2k to rebuild the motor and you'd be gtg.
For Sale - 1984 FJ60 , TX

There are a stack of decent 60s in the classifieds here for less than $10k. Local is great, but I wouldn't rule out a remote purchase if the price is right.

I spent 9 months looking for a decent buy before finding one I felt was worth the dollars. My observations were thus:

1. for $2000 or less you got a problematic swamp buggy that needed $15,000 worth of work to become a $7000 truck
2. for $5000 you got a good runner maybe with a lift and some other goodies but dented and rusty body panels, a torn drivers side seat, and a frame needing repairs

3. for $7k-$9k you got a solid body and decent frame with varied interiors and different levels of modification
4. for $10k-$15k you got a clean truck with a lift, bumpers, maybe some other goodies in good to play condition.

These were my observations. There are always deals that defy every word I have written. I learned a while ago its best to buy the nicest model you can afford because often the $2500 truck requires $10,000 investment to become a $8000 truck :)

happy hunting

Do you guys not see all the dimples in the hood and roof?

Like seriously?

car-with-dimples-499x269.jpg

Last edited:
I'd hit Mace up for the 62 and put in an H55 manual and you'll be good to go. I bought my 62 with 125K about 20 years ago and it now has 300k....still going strong. I tend to agree with the others that 12k is a stout price for this truck. No matter what truck you buy though it will be the entry price. These things suck money like a sponge. You'll keep spending till you run out of either money or imagination.

Welcome to Mud....lots of good people here.

It's funny, everyone here says they wouldn't PAY over around $8K for it, but nobody here would dare sell that nice cruiser for $8K if it was THEIR truck. That's too low. The body looks nice and there's no real rust on the frame. Looks like new paint...which is nice.

Personally, if that was my truck I wouldn't sell it for less than 12K. It's worth that much to somebody. If the seller is patient, he'll get his asking price.

If you buy it for near 12K, you can be happy that you got a clean cruiser. There's not that many nice ones around anymore. But buying a used car always involves some haggling. It goes with the territory. So although his asking price is 12K, he knows he's going to have to sell it for a bit less. He's probably hoping he'll get 10 to 10.5 for it.

Offering 8K is insulting. You'll be wasting everyone's time.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. Are you the seller?

I would keep on looking, even if he comes down off of $12k, especially since it sounds like you are in the early stages of your search. I can't imagine where he is getting his $12 - $16k figures, on a rig in that cosmetic condition and mileage that likely has a good amount of standard deferred maintenance (suspension, knuckles, seals, clutch, etc.).

Here is a good example of a $16k - $18k cruiser 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 | eBay

And one that is closer to the $9k - $12k mark. 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Land Cruiser | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom