'86 FJ60 moving to Munich but, first... . (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, we've decided, based on the strict emissions here to roll back the years and install pretty much everything stock, carburation-wise. And I read last night, that for classic car designation (which will make passing a lot of hurdles, easier), installing a 5 speed is not allowed. :frown:
First pics from Wimberly:
IMG-20240202-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240202-WA0001.jpg

OK...another update. (An aside, I found out yesterday: my longtime singer/guitarist/friend [I'm a drummer as a second vocation] used to import cars for GM here in Germany, lol...good to know and is a great resource). I found a TUV document on the guidelines for qualifying as in "old timer" here in Germany which will be key since it allows for huge emission exemptions and tax/insurance savings. Most of the sections have some wiggle room but the part on gearbox/transmissions was a lot more specific and strict.

From the original German document:
3.2.3.2. GetriebeNur Originalausführung oder Getriebe aus der Fahrzeugbaureihe zulässig.
English:
3.2.3.2. Only original version or gearbox from the vehicle series.

So, my understanding is that putting the the H55F into my FJ60 would be allowed since it was available for the HJ60. Or is this just a case of wishful thinking on my part? Of all the years driving my 60, the only thing I ever said to myself was "man, wouldn't it be great if this thing had a 5 speed?" So now that I have the chance to put one in it (in Texas), I don't want it to arrive and not get the "old timer" designation just because of that. After to talking to Marcus, my guitarist, I'm not even sure they would notice since he said they do the "driving" test on rollers in a garage and only go up to 2nd gear and test reverse. If I lest the original shifter knob on it, I'm not even sure they would know it had a 5 speed in it.

Thoughts?

I think keeping the 4 speed knob on it is not a bad idea, they aren't going to go past 2nd gear. I'm way more concerned about the body and any oil leaks, you WILL fail for any fluid leaks.
Do you have any connections to military bases where you can get inspections done? Or at least get plugged into shops that take care of a lot of military folks? We were just stationed there for 3 years and I ran through about 5 vehicles worth of registrations and inspections, so I'm familiar with the pain you're bringing onto yourself. Happy to help if I can, I have contacts in the Ramstein area including at least one mechanic who worked on post and has his own shop now. Good luck!

I think keeping the 4 speed knob on it is not a bad idea, they aren't going to go past 2nd gear. I'm way more concerned about the body and any oil leaks, you WILL fail for any fluid leaks.
Do you have any connections to military bases where you can get inspections done? Or at least get plugged into shops that take care of a lot of military folks? We were just stationed there for 3 years and I ran through about 5 vehicles worth of registrations and inspections, so I'm familiar with the pain you're bringing onto yourself. Happy to help if I can, I have contacts in the Ramstein area including at least one mechanic who worked on post and has his own shop now. Good luck!
Wow, thanks so much, that's some great input, very much appreciated. My only contacts here are on the importing side...don't have any mechanic connections since we haven't had a car the whole we've been here so I might ping you via DM if that's OK.
I've stressed to my guy in Wimberly that it has to mechanically in tip top shape with no leaks. And regarding body/rust, I'm not going to skimp on the respray and have asked that any obvious rust on the underside be addressed.

Would work until they need to find reverse
True, but the throw for reverse is the same for 4 or 5 speed, correct?
But also, I think the "driving" part of the TUV test is after it is or isn't designated an "old timer". If that's the case, I don;t think the TUV person cares whether there are 4 or 5 gears. That bit seems only a stipulation of the "old timer" designation.
I'll need to try to get some details on that bit, like is it just someone making sure everything looks mostly original.

Last edited:
The H42 is down left, the H55 is down right
Crap, you're correct. FOILED, lol. I just sent an email to some folks asking if the H55 would prevent it from getting the "old timer" designation. Awaiting their answer...from their website:

The following are the requirements for a historical registration:
  • The vehicle must be at least 30 years old
  • It must have passed the TüV inspection
  • The interior must be original and contemporary
  • The engine and subassemblies must be either original or from the same model range
  • No part of the vehicle may be rusted through
  • The vehicle must be well maintained and in a good state of preservation overall

i'm in europe too (UK) if you need any parts Home - https://cruiserworld.eu/ is a good resource.

it's very hard to find a good condition 60 series for sale in europe, all rusted away. also the EU spec isn't as nice looking, small things like split rear bumper with built in rear fog lights etc....it just doesn't look right vs the US model.

i'm in europe too (UK) if you need any parts Home - https://cruiserworld.eu/ is a good resource.

it's very hard to find a good condition 60 series for sale in europe, all rusted away. also the EU spec isn't as nice looking, small things like split rear bumper with built in rear fog lights etc....it just doesn't look right vs the US model.
Thanks much. Yes, been poking around on that site as well.

You may be able to use this to argue for the 5-speed swap since it was offered in 60's.
So, this is my thinking too (and hope). According to Wiki, Toyota designate all 60s (including FJ62) as as the J60 series:
1707326917020.png

Am I inerpreting this correctly or is it wishful thinking on my part. :)

Update...got this in a reply email to in importer here when I asked them specifically about the H55F upgrade: "it can be assumed that the gearbox conversion you mentioned is considered contemporary and will not jeopardize the registration as a classic car with an H license plate. More important are conversions that are considered normal and common in North America, such as wheel lifts and/or wheel/tire combinations, which are often carried out on steel or aluminum rims with protruding tires in a large size. In most cases, these rims are not approved in Germany, for example, because there is no corresponding certificate."

We found a new H55 for $3,500 so gonna pull the trigger on it. Happy days. :)

Long overdue update. Danny from Hill Country Cruisers sent some photos. And I've also continued working with the importer in Wuppertal. Looking into booking our flight back to Austin mid July for pick up...and drop off in Houston. Also found a nice FJ60 specific car cover for the trip over.

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

Are you putting it in a container or going RORO? I don't think they'll cover it with RORO but I could be mistaken. Good luck with the import and registration. Having also lived in Germany I don't envy you at all with that process.

You’re in good hands with Daniel behind the wrench on this rig. Live just down the road and been to his shop many times. What a story and definitely understand the sentimental value. I checked out your truck when I was there last month. Look forward to following your progress.

Following along.
My family is from Bavaria, it’s such a beautiful part of the world.

It's CRAZY that you happened upon Danny's shop in Wimberly while looking for your 60 on your brother's land. It's not like he's on the side of a major highway, or even a farm-to-market road. He's one of 4 or so guys in central Texas to go to for this type of project, and the fact that your truck was already there is just nuts.

I appreciate and admire your passion about importing this truck, but you'd be way ahead to just find a 70 series to drive while you're over there. A <25 year old 70 series pickup would be fun and could keep up with traffic. When you come back to the states, import it here (assuming it's >=25 years old at the time) and make a profit. They're going to be crazy popular over here in the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom