Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

General transmission question. I’ve seen a lot of NV3500 boxes around 2wd and 4wd. Are these at all similar to the 4500? Do people use them in swaps?

General transmission question. I’ve seen a lot of NV3500 boxes around 2wd and 4wd. Are these at all similar to the 4500? Do people use them in swaps?

NV3500 is a light duty transmission. It’s comparable to what’s in Jeep Wranglers. Comparable size to AX15, Toyota mini truck transmissions etc. it might be fine in a 60 if you don’t beat on it. They’re in 90’s 1500 Silverados

NV3500 is a light duty transmission. It’s comparable to what’s in Jeep Wranglers. Comparable size to AX15, Toyota mini truck transmissions etc. it might be fine in a 60 if you don’t beat on it. They’re in 90’s 1500 Silverados

Ok interesting. I’ve seen them in a few S10’s.

I thought it was going to take me longer to source a replacement NV4500 then I did so a few weeks ago I pulled my rear axle out to fix the punctured diff cover (it could be done under the truck but it's easy enough to pull the axle with the SOA). Anyways as usual I started the project and then didn't finish it so now that I have another transmission it was a scramble to get this done so I can get the truck moving again.

f0304173a63e416293c42d0f21533f8f.jpeg
bcb3426939d943e7829ec0ed6f45c30d.jpeg
2ee37f15ab2346ad86bcb7c3559c5ef0.jpeg

c5ef9885543d45fda4a0303439f33fb1.jpeg
32ddace3d025485a97aac37496da8b02.jpeg

I actually have some free time this weekend so I should be able to get the transmission swapped in and I need to swap the rear diff back to a 4.11 third. Couple things to fix while I'm in there, got a new clutch kit on the way, I want to upgrade the studs that are tapped in the doubler from 3/8 to 7/16 or 1/2", maybe a metric size, not sure yet, will have to see once I'm in there. And I have a few hub bolt holes that are stripped in one rear hub that I need to attempt to repair. Would really like to be driving this weekend as I badly need the shop space back.

1E42BB57-F46B-4F80-83DF-58D69EBDEA18.jpeg

I actually have some free time this weekend so I should be able to get the transmission swapped in and I need to swap the rear diff back to a 4.11 third. Couple things to fix while I'm in there, got a new clutch kit on the way, I want to upgrade the studs that are tapped in the doubler from 3/8 to 7/16 or 1/2", maybe a metric size, not sure yet, will have to see once I'm in there. And I have a few hub bolt holes that are stripped in one rear hub that I need to attempt to repair. Would really like to be driving this weekend as I badly need the shop space back.

View attachment 2481176
Is the gray/blue one a customers?

I like the way the pipe cap/diff cover came out. Nice work on that.

:cheers:

Where did you you source that beefy pipe cap?!

Worked on my truck this weekend. Rear axle reinstalled, new rear brake pads, got the replacement NV4500 put in, new clutch kit, new pilot bearing setup, new doubler mounting studs, got it all put together and driving last night. Just ripped it up and down shop road up to 3rd gear but seems good. Happy me. Time to work on some projects that are more fun.

You get that second cross member in? You need one.

Not yet. That will probably be this weekend’s project, replacement crossmember for my current one and then a 2nd. going to copy yours pretty much exactly.

This is what it looks like at the moment :lol:
Got a wood block in there as a temporary spacer.
D4025B8C-84B4-43CC-A04A-70A74B363908.jpeg

What transmission mount arw you using? Second cross member for what i know thats a long set up in your rig

What transmission mount arw you using? Second cross member for what i know thats a long set up in your rig

I've had a poly bushing cut into a FJ62 crossmember. My replacement NV4500 tailhousing is the more common style where it's tucked up a lot higher. I think I'm just going to get the regular GM transmission mount that fits all the GM stuff, but the poly version.
I want to add a second crossmember behind the T-case to support that as well with the same style mount. I've had the doubler loosen up a few times

Yea was going to recommend the style of transmission mount i have used witch is factory gm its wide side to side and pretty beffy

this is what @GLTHFJ60 setup looks like pretty much going to copy it exactly. I might be able to go under the front transfer case output though. Poly bushings should be here today or tomorrow and I drew up the tabs and frame plates and had them lasered. Those should be here today.

IMG_20180904_222227.jpg

I thought it was going to take me longer to source a replacement NV4500 then I did so a few weeks ago I pulled my rear axle out to fix the punctured diff cover (it could be done under the truck but it's easy enough to pull the axle with the SOA). Anyways as usual I started the project and then didn't finish it so now that I have another transmission it was a scramble to get this done so I can get the truck moving again.

View attachment 2481154View attachment 2481157View attachment 2481158
View attachment 2481155View attachment 2481156

Is this to increase the strength/protection or to increase the fluid volume or both?

Is this to increase the strength/protection or to increase the fluid volume or both?

impact resistance and the original had a big hole in it that was repaired on the trail. This pipe cap is all 3/8" so any future diff failure will hopefully stay contained inside the housing so I can ignore it

@GLTHFJ60 do you have a part # for those poly mounts you have?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom