COMPILED - 80 Series Seat Swap Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone tried the bestop seats the jeep guys are using?
I don't know how they fit in an 80. I imagine they could be made to fit with a custom frame, their width would work. I have a friend that has them in an FJ40 and personally they are not very comfortable. But seats are definitely a personal item and comfort is different for everyone.

I put besttop seats in my '69 Bronco build. As Box Rocket said, they could be made to fit. As far as comfort, I thought that they were fairly comfortable - nothing too fancy, but pretty decent IMO. Especially for the price for new seats.

I don't know how they fit in an 80. I imagine they could be made to fit with a custom frame, their width would work. I have a friend that has them in an FJ40 and personally they are not very comfortable. But seats are definitely a personal item and comfort is different for everyone.
@bryson has them in his 80. They fit fine, although I'm not certain what he did to fit them. I think he might have used brackets from a manual-seat 80.

They're OK comfort, nothing great IMO.

@bryson has them in his 80. They fit fine, although I'm not certain what he did to fit them. I think he might have used brackets from a manual-seat 80.

They're OK comfort, nothing great IMO.
They fit well. I did use OEM manual-seat brackets with some custom (barely) plates to adapt to the Bestop seats and incorporate the seat belts. No mods to the Cruiser itself (no beating the trans tunnel, etc.) Comfort-wise they are much better than the horrible OEM leather seats, but probably not on par with other, more spendy options. They sit lower and further back than OEM seats too (I did this intentionally when building the brackets). Overall bang-for-the-buck is great.

For those of you that have swapped to Disco seats, are you using the Planted seat brackets? I've read through the thread but didn't see an answer. I found a set of seats from 2001 Disco but want to do as little modifications as possible. Thank you.

I used a set from 2006 LR3 and made my own brackets. It's quite easy, really!

Has anyone done manual Tundra seats?

Tried, but the seat rails were too wide. I assume you'd need to mount them to a skinner set of rails, beat the tranny hump significantly or raise the seat up to clear the tranny hump.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I will keep looking at options

Just read this entire thread... super pumped to find this! I just bought my 2nd 80 (sold my first because of the seats). The factory seats and me just DO NOT agree... I'm 6' 4" and the seat is too high and doesn't go back far enough. I bought some Honda Accord seats from a 'pick-n-pull' this weekend but I couldn't get them modified so they would work and be any better than what I have. I'm VERY interested in the Corbeau Reclining Sport seats with the manual bracket but would love to hear from anyone that has them... do they sit higher/lower/same as stock? do they slide back more/less/same as stock? I REALLY want to love the 80 but just CAN. NOT. get comfortable in it :(

Thoughts from the big guys?? I've heard there are brackets to extend the factory seats back but they raise them up... true??

Just read this entire thread... super pumped to find this! I just bought my 2nd 80 (sold my first because of the seats). The factory seats and me just DO NOT agree... I'm 6' 4" and the seat is too high and doesn't go back far enough. I bought some Honda Accord seats from a 'pick-n-pull' this weekend but I couldn't get them modified so they would work and be any better than what I have. I'm VERY interested in the Corbeau Reclining Sport seats with the manual bracket but would love to hear from anyone that has them... do they sit higher/lower/same as stock? do they slide back more/less/same as stock? I REALLY want to love the 80 but just CAN. NOT. get comfortable in it :(

Thoughts from the big guys?? I've heard there are brackets to extend the factory seats back but they raise them up... true??
Can't speak to the Corbeau's, but I do know the Scheel-mann seats are thinner than manual OEM seats, with the sliders, etc.

Hope your are sitting down....
I did Recaros and my back has been super happy.

98AD8F98-27CB-4216-A390-9B66A78C39A1.jpeg

5712F7EB-BDE3-4C64-BB49-113230EF094A.jpeg

Finished recovering the back using a set of LX450 rear seats, matched the pattern better on the front seats. Turned out really nice!

B57F35BA-D2DD-4195-9FC9-2A6781A3C4D6.jpeg
0A28BC6B-6523-4DF4-88F6-6410E8D3E33C.jpeg

As pictured here earlier in this thread, I used some steel flat stock, steel pipe and basic welding skills to install some $800 craigslist Porsche seats. I'm 6'2" and I set them pretty far back and low down. Solved the seating position issues for me.

I've since sold that truck, but I've got some modern Jaguar seats (pictured here in a since-abandoned project) for my "new" 80 and hope to do a similar install one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom