****Canvas maintenance **** OEM Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lot's of dry dusty roads around my world did the after applying Canvac the dust hangs on for a bit just after application, not as much I thought It would
I guess one It gets to the saturation point
kinda changes the texture of the fabric for the good IMHO, once its good N dry after awhile It act like normal Dusty canvas ;)

BTW I used a 1 gallon garden spryer for the application inside and out with the top on the rig and bunch or rags to mop up the mess.

Thanks Dusty, I'll take your word as gospel based purely on your username and location alone.

Might look into the garden sprayer idea - sounds a bit more user friendly than laying the soft top out on the pavers and having at it with a paint roller.

Cheers

I agree with Dusty...the canvak will hold the fine dirt....but...only to a point....i have found it does help in the sealing of the top over time. Depending on the amount of time outside will depend on the number of applications...i do it once every 2 years....a more sunny location...probably once a year because it will dry out faster.

you should definatly spray it...the roller or the brush will leave streaks...

I used a windex bottle that i cleaned out really well 1st...you have a bit more control IMHO

canvas

great post--- I am learning!--I am trying a UK product and giving it a go--found it on a Land Rover site --I will post how that goes

x2 with don't use a brush... (oops) that was the one part of the canvak posts i missed...

great post--- I am learning!--I am trying a UK product and giving it a go--found it on a Land Rover site --I will post how that goes

Are you using Renovo ? I am recoloring and uv coating mine with Renovo. I have cleaned it and recolored the top of the top, but ran short on material, more on the way. I hope it holds up because its stupid expensive.

I just received a bikini top from OCDbeetle. Should I treat it with canvak immediately?
I bought a used paki top that I'll have to treat and was wondering if should go ahead and treat the new top as well, or if it comes with some kind of finish on it already?

depends on what you want it to look like... with one summer my black bimini top was grey.. and with two summers it is now white... the edging and underside are still black though. i'm not sure if canvak would have helped but I can tell you that OCD's material has held up MUCH better than my pakistan material (which was treated twice).

thanks antfj...the thing with canvas is that it will fade with the uv. i think protectant can be bought and used for uv but the fade is almost inevitable. it can even fade sitting on the kitchen table just from daylight.......

as far as already being treated. it's treated at the mill during manufacture for mold, mildew and water resistance. it you put water on it, it bubbles up like water on a fresh wax job. the BEST advice i could give is to not touch it when wet or it'll want to seep through where you touch it. if i had canvak on hand i'd certainly use it. to this day i still use the very first green top i made for my 40 and have never treated it with anything. its an inferior canvas to what i use now as well....its faded of course, but doesnt leak a drop.....

This might be a good option. Ive yet to try either but the whole UV resistance idea looks very promising.

</title> <meta name="description" content=""> <meta name="keywords" content=""> <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/commonShowHide.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/functions.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/

Maintains the water repellency tents and outdoor gear
Protects tents and gear against UV degradation
One application can double the effective life of gear
Gear dries quickly for packing away
Easy to use
Can be used on all weatherproof textiles

This one looks interesting as well. Probably more close to what canvak is. Though this product has a green colorant in it. Could be a good option for those with a od green top that has faded.

Spray-on waterproofing for waxed cotton | Wax Cotton Proof

It rejuvenates the water repellency of tired, waxed cotton clothing
It replaces lost colour (green only) It replaces water repellent finishes
It overcomes the problems of gear ‘wetting-out’
It prolongs the life of your gear and optimises performance in wet weather It’s easy to apply

And my test on products that state they block out UV and prevent fading. I would say a big failure.

Nikwax solar proof
And Star Brite waterproofing with PTEF.

As far as waterproofing the star Brite beat the NikWax. The standard duck canvas still did a good job but it doesn't really repell water it soakes the water up
And fills in the holes where water can get in.

This is 3 months in the extreme South Carolina sun.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is why when I talk to people about types of material I ask them where the live and how it's going to be stored. Someone who garages their cruiser or keeps it under a cover doesn't have to worry for a long time about fading while. The other who keep them outside all the time and don't want to fuss with treating them yearly I try to move to a PVC top or the higher end solution dyed materials.

Last edited:
Wow, did that start out the same color on both sides?

Yep. The camera makes it look worse but it has faded. Canvas is cotton. No matter what you dye it with its a natural fiber it's going to fade. It's not a solution dyed fiber like acrylic.

Another reason why I make the trail covers.

I do like the idea of using a dye in the treatment. This might solve the fading issue using canvas.

After putting Trollholes new green fabric on doors, the faded green top looked rough.
So used plain Canvak on doors. Then added Fiebings leather dye, oil based, to the Canvak for the top.
Used 1 oz green, 1/2 oz brown for each quart. Sprayed it with HVLP gun. Warmed Canvak up to about 100 degrees and used 2 coats till it looked soaking wet.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1453853283.584037.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1453853319.134786.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom