****Canvas maintenance **** OEM Soft Tops (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

every true OEM canvas top i have seen...most every have the two seams down the top of the top...they may have ones with no seams...but have not seen any in pics from factory or from that era
two seams.JPG

Last edited:
every true OEM canvas top i have seen...all have the two seams down the top of the top...they may have ones with no seams...but have not seen any in pics from factory or from that era

do you think this is because of manufacturing costs? i've been pricing canvas rolls and see large jumps when asking for canvas wide enough to cover the whole width of the cab. any idea the distance between those two seams?

Last edited:
I have used treating oil that we brushed onto the canvas. Interestingly it still soaked through the first time it got wet in the rain, but after that it tightened up (after drying) and never leaked again, even around the seams :beer:.

do you think this is because of manufacturing costs? i've been pricing canvas rolls and see large jumps when asking for canvas wide enough to cover the whole width of the cab. any idea the distance between those two seams?

if i were to guess it would be 36" (1 yard roll) with an inch and a half rolled over seam ...that would put the space between seams at 33"...i held that measurment up to my rig and it looks dead on. +/- 1/2 "

This is a cool thread, I've been following it since you started it.

I need to clean my OEM soft top and doors and that's how I stumbled onto this thread in the first place.

Like you, I've been collecting lots of pics just to keep track of all the variations of the OEM soft tops.

That is now my 40 in your post #22. Thanks for that first pic, I had not seen that one before!

I have just decided that this is the look I want for my bj42. Now who has one for sale. It has to have those cool rear doors. Just Like the red cruiser in the photos. Please email me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom