71 FJ Build- "UGLY BETTY" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finally came to the idea to do this as a build up thread instead of random posts here and there. Bout the same time I decided to do a frame off. When I first got it it was going to be a fix up job but the more I took it to metal the more I thought I needed to preserve it as it is and not let the rust monster get to it.

I bought my FJ off EBAY and had it shipped from Calif to florida a process that wound up taking a couple months and a climb of 600 bucks in price after the first shipper dropped out. As usual one guy at the shippers took an interest and got the job done

Here's how UGLY BETTY looked when I got her around Nov 07

fj 003.jpg
arrived.JPG
fj 001.JPG

great lookin ride, I like the wheels and caps :) What she look like now??? been 3 months !!!! ;)

tub work

Not really having a plan I started by removing the bent front bumper and stripping off the frame rails. Then onto to the inside tub work. This gave me a feel for what kinda shape the ol girl was in. The tub was done in POR15 and chassis coat. At the time there was a post on filling the rivets or not to fill them that's why the rivet is circled. I'm on the unfilled hey itsa truck side!
portub.JPG
tubprepinside.JPG
backinpor15.JPG

Next I put in a HFS 4 inch lift from CCOT. Maybe didn't need to do this at this stage but this was a real motivator for me to get it lookin like a 4wd truck and off those pathetic car tires.

Also gave me a good chance to get a good look underneath and photos of everything for later

Do yourself a favor and have a PB Blaster, pickle fork, tie rod puller, BFH, and propane torch on hand.

Only broke one bolt and that was on of the 12 mm spring pin retainer bolts

Some people say they don't need longer brake lines after I do so I ordered some stainless ones but have yet to put them on
WHOLEDIFF.JPG
hfslift 005.jpg
liftdone.JPG

prepping for frame off

well I decide to take the plunge and do the frame off so during the week I worked on the frame to body mounts. The only PITA was the inner two rear body mounts which are hard to get to. just had to use a wrench flipped to clear the support and some pen oil. plenty of squealing and protest from those bolts but they came out and only the exposed top was rusted. The rest of the bolts were shiny clean and cad plated where they were inside the mounts so they didn't break.

Next prep on the cowl, the cables from the heater fan, choke, and hand throttle have to be disco'd at the component end and pulled out inside through the dash. I made sure to label everything for later and take pics for ref. No real PITA just time consuming and the fear of forgetting how something goes back.

I plan to mark both sides of the wiring when I disco them, I used a sharpie perm marker but I bet pen oil can stripp it off so I'll have to be careful. I can read schematics just find but this is a lot quicker and easier if you can keep everything straight.

I also bagged and marked hardware and bits for later
hfslift 019.jpg
hfslift 023.jpg
hfslift 016.jpg

Last edited:
cowl strip

just a few more pics from the cowl strip. I still am limited for space but I am hoping the take the body off and support it high then roll the frame out front to work on it then roll it back.

I think I'll enjoy the frame work I have everything I need but will need more tools and a welder for the body so more expense!

The photos show the frame no. the speedo cable pass through and the steering column with the cover removed and the three on the tree shift link removed.

I got the steering wheel off by drilling two holes in some metal strap and running bolts down into the puller holes you see with the horn removed and gave it a couple of whacks right over shaft and presto the wheel pulled off.

That number on the frame is that the VIN? I cant find a tag on this thing anywhere?
FRAMENUMBERINFOCUS.JPG
hfslift 020.jpg
hfslift 018.jpg

paki top

oh yeah just ordered a 7 window paki top with bows thanks to southbostonfj's group buy. getting mine in KHAKI woo hoo:bounce:

bfgs

The BFGs are 33 x 10.50, I think they look right and will handle any wheeling I am likely to do

The number on the frame is the serial number, I don't think Toyota used an actual VIN until '81 or '82, this is the number that would have been on the tag on the driver's side front doorpost and would have been used as the VIN. This is the number that should appear as the VIN on your registration.

build up-Frame progress

It's been a while since my last build up post since it takes forever to get the whole frame to metal and really clean. I posted the prep details in my post on POR vs Rust bullet product review.

The last areas to do are inside the boxed areas and since that will be a combo of dremel, hand sanding and sand blasting I left it as a separate job since I needed some progress inspired motivation after all the prep work on the rest of the frame

funny how a little fresh paint can get you all fired up again eh?

Well that's it for now on UGLY BETTY

Waiting for my paki top
dreading the bottom of the tub but once that is behind me everything else will seem easier I'm looking forward to getting the body back on the frame.

The plan is to rust bullet the whole bottom of the TUB and the engine side of the cowl, then top coat with por chassis black or the rust bullet top coat. the engine side of the cowl will get a coat of por15 tie coat primer then epoxy primer then top coated with the hatteras white single stage poly that I am using on the exterior

Hey, rust this Florida:flipoff2: ha ha!
hfslift 017.JPG
hfslift 024.jpg
hfslift 023.jpg

speaking of frame up builds

Nothing to do with FJs but I figure the crowd can appreciate, actually it is FJ related from the view of the struggles we go through trying to budget between the FJ and our other toys:D

recent frame up on my 99 springer, she is called "the other woman" by "er indoors" :p
harlpaint.JPG
harleypaint2.JPG

Progress on the Frame

Well I've been working on the frame ever since the last shots--This is a good deal of work but hopefully worth it in the end.

Here's some pics of the frame after 3 coats of rust bullet followed by rustoleum primer followed by por Chassis coat.

The only place left on the frame to work on is under the radiator the pans that cross between the frame rails

The final touch will be to shoot rustproofing in the boxed sections and any areas difficult to touch up with the body installed

I figure 2 to 3 weekends for that then its on to the underside of the body---The only thing I can say about that is I'll be glad when it's over! There's not much good to say about paint stripping especially overhead while ducking under the sawhorses to work!

I am really looking forward to getting the body back on:steer:
IMGP1171.JPG
IMGP1172.JPG
IMGP1173.JPG

a few more pics

since I know you love pics here's some more!

so progress so far is

tub stripped inside and painted with por 15
HFS 4" lift installed
Body lifted and supported for stripping
frame stripped and painted with rust bullet and chassis coat
New 33 x 10.50 tires

recent purchase
FJ40 diecast model for my desk at work
A score! I found a tire carrier complete and in good shape on EBAY cheap! God that thing weighs a ton don't it?

Lots more to go!
IMGP1174.JPG
IMGP1175.JPG
IMGP1176.JPG

Last edited:
it's always amazing how nicely that POR15 brings up the chassis. Complete makeover... makes her look cleaner, leaner and I could swear it even makes her breasts look larger...

Nice work - good to see the pics. ;o)

shhhh

Watch that endorsement---the wives'll be lookin for the stuff ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom