***REWAXING*** Canvas Waterproofing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
Hello all

I have a few different methods of waterproofing to share with the community.

Originally I was going to add this information the this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/canvas-maintenance-oem-soft-tops.159334/#post-2227823

... but... thought it would work better for its own thread and probably easier to find with a search

Depending on the amount of time outside and the regularity of applying canvak or other waterproofers will determine when you need to do this... or the old method is to rewax when it 'Starts to Leak' :)

Some people can get away with over the counter sprays... but... the 24/7 outside crew need more... especially if it has already started to leak/

Linseed Oil:
There is an old method in using Boiled Linseed Oil on canvas... but... linseed oil could spontanious combust rags when still wet. (old is not always good LOL)
this is a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits... this is good for canvas tents as they do not have overlaping sections of canvas to hold the oils and possibly combust.... if you want to try it... its at your own risk :) ... but... this method was used upto the late 1800's it is a proven and well documented method of waterproofing canvas.

Waxing:

Wax Method #1....

Wax Stick:
wax can be applied with a wax stick and then using a heat gun it will melt and absorb into the fabric... time consuming .... and lots of rubbing LOL

Wax Method #2.....

Wax Paste:
wax is applied using a mixture of chemicals and then using a heatgun will melt itself into the canvas.

(4) Beeswax
32oz. Mineral Spirits
-optional Boiled Linseed Oil 2 oz

The beeswax you can get from any home store (toilet bowl rings :) ) you need 4 for a full soft top.

1) in a pot heat (do NOT boil) the mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil.
2) when heating put the beeswax in and stir till completely melted
3) allow to cool ... it will form a paste
4) rub the paste on the canvas (take care around windows)
5) using a heat gun melt the paste into the fibers as you apply in areas of about 1-2' sq
6) allow the canvas to fully dry
7) done :)

Do not use your wife's pots and pans .... you WILL get yelled at!

Wax Method #3..... MY PERFERED METHOD :)

Wax Brush-On:
basically the same as paste till step #2.

wax is applied using a mixture of chemicals and then using a heatgun will melt itself into the canvas.

(4) Beeswax
32oz. Mineral Spirits
Solvent-Proof type brush
-optional Boiled Linseed Oil 2 oz

The beeswax you can get from any home store (toilet bowl rings :) ) you need 4 for a full soft top.

1) in a pot heat (do NOT boil) the mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil.
2) when heating put the beeswax in and stir till completely melted
3) while the mixture is still wet apply to canvas using a 'Solvent-Proof' brush like a chip brush from HD
4) take care around windows it is runny and if it gets on the window it could discolor if not removed
5) using a heat gun go over the areas that you brush to fully allow the wax into the fibers
6) allow the canvas to fully dry
7) done :) store theb excess ... it will become a paste... reheat when needed to keep a liquid

Do not use your wife's pots and pans .... you WILL get yelled at!

Silicone Method *** permanent*** (Can not be undone!!!)
IF all else fails to keep you dry ... this will work :)

Spray-On:

Silicone is applied using a mixture of chemicals and then allowed to dry.

tube clear 100% silicone
Mineral Spirits

16oz clear water bottle (empty and dry)
windex style spray bottle (empty and dry)
This is the same type of silicone you can get from any home store. You will not need the whole tube.

Mix only what you need to apply... can not be stored.

1) in a clear 16oz water bottle (dry no water inside) fill 3/4 with mineral spirits
2) add silicone to the mineral spirits untill there is 1 1/2" from the top of the bottle
3) shake bottle untill all silicone has been disolved into the mineral spirits
4) transfer into windex style bottle
5) spray onto canvas surface
6) allow the canvas to fully dry... accelerate with heat gun if desired
7) done :)

If you need to see these types of waterproofing in action... there are videos on youtube of the process... there are variations of materials used.

Last edited:
Will this also help minimize shrinking of the canvas?

Thanks

Pictures from rewax using paste wax

Improv heating using sterno fuel and recycle toyota stuff :)

55.JPG

basically applying the paste

photo%204.JPG

yes.... wax-on!

photo%201.JPG

After Heat Gun:

photo%202.JPG

Every time i see this picture.... i laugh and i cant tell you why LOL

photo%203.JPG

Awesome.

Now if can just find a way to keep the canvas from fading. My trials have yet to prevent any canvas from fading in direct sunlight.

When you canvak it will become darker over time because the linseed oil in it makes it tacky and holds the dirt... making it darker over time.

We rewaxed a friends Ehsan top (that has always leaked) he keeps it garaged... His was faded... it darkened up some with the rewaxing brush-on.

I will find the pics and post them

you are able to add colorant to the mineral spirits when applying with wax brush-on... but... I have not tested or used any to tell you results

Will this also help minimize shrinking of the canvas?

Thanks

No.... very little.... it will still become a drum when wet :) when rewaxing with the wax.... the silicone method will reduce the shrinking... but.... will also distort the canvas in the process of making it permanent...

when the canvas shrinks is when it seals best

Brush-On Waxing

Disclamer.... we did not wash the top 1st... the top was cheap.... it always leaked... it is riped..... and my buddy Chris didn't care LOL

you can see the color coming back... and it wasnt all that dirty as it looks in the pictures :)
untitled 1.JPG

This is the 'I'm Happy' it will not leak on my head look :)
BTW Chris... a much better look without the Youkilis beard LOL
untitled.JPG

back was dirty/stained.... we went with it
untitled 2.JPG

canvas goodness :)

untitled 3.JPG

Every time i see this picture.... i laugh and i cant tell you why LOL

No.... very little.... it will still become a drum when wet :) when rewaxing with the wax.... the silicone method will reduce the shrinking... but.... will also distort the canvas in the process of making it permanent...

when the canvas shrinks is when it seals best

My Ehsan top has shrunk to the point that I am unable to re install for the winter. I was thinking of actually soaking it in warm water and then try to re-install. Any other possible solutions out there?

Thanks

Lay it out in a hot area... Wet will shrink it hot or cold ... Did you adjust the bows all the way in?

.... You can lower the horizontal bow ... Get the canvas fitted over doors and windshield ... Drape over rear bow ... Then stretch it by moving the horizontal in its correct position

Lay it out in a hot area... Wet will shrink it hot or cold ... Did you adjust the bows all the way in?

.... You can lower the horizontal bow ... Get the canvas fitted over doors and windshield ... Drape over rear bow ... Then stretch it by moving the horizontal in its correct position

Got it on!! I did stress a couple of seams that will need repair next summer but it is on. Thanks :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom