****Canvas maintenance **** OEM Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the bad thing about Bleach is that it WILL affect the threads...you dont want to deteriate the threads on the top...it will start to come apart.

I would try these two methods as per your post:
1. 50/50 white vinegar. let dry wipe with dry rag.
2. 1 cup Lysol with 1 gal warm water. rinse with 1 cup salt 1 cup lemon to one gallon of water.
both methods say to start with a dry surface that has been brushed.
Anyone used these methods and if so results.

Try them on the inside of the side curtin flaps....one on one side and one on the other...see which works better.

post up what it looks like when thats done

since you live in an area thats has hot/cold days resulting in alot of dew...the hot in the cab/cold outside will have moisture inside the cab...you may need to also coat the inside of the canvas...

My top has the treatment (Canvak) on the inside and outside ....you will only need to treat the inside once every 5 years or longer...as the treatment dosnt get washed away/dry out as bad as an outside treatment

since you live in an area thats has hot/cold days resulting in alot of dew...the hot in the cab/cold outside will have moisture inside the cab...you may need to also coat the inside of the canvas...

My top has the treatment (Canvak) on the inside and outside ....you will only need to treat the inside once every 5 years or longer...as the treatment dosnt get washed away/dry out as bad as an outside treatment
The vinegar nor the lysol treatment did anything. I sprayed Tilex on a test area and it worked, now you have me concerned about the bleach aspect.
How did you canvak the inside I thought you had to apply canvak with the top on the truck to prevent it from shrinin.

The vinegar nor the lysol treatment did anything. I sprayed Tilex on a test area and it worked, now you have me concerned about the bleach aspect.
How did you canvak the inside I thought you had to apply canvak with the top on the truck to prevent it from shrinin.

make sure you wash it off as best as possible...so the bleach doesnt continue to work on the fibers.

My rig had the coating already on it (inside and out) from factory the canvas was made.

I would suggest the you take the bows off set them up on the ground and just use wood to hold the bows like on the truck and use a "windex type bottle" to spray the inside with the canvak....

or....

the mcquires isnt a mold deterent....but it would probably stop the canvas from even getting wet in the 1st place on the inside. and the mcquires wouldnt be that big of a deal to get on the inside of the truck...and it doesnt smell that bad :) if the canvas doesnt absorb the wetness mold will not grow...but...the canvak is the best of the best not let the mold grow again.

does this make any sence?

Johnny C did you apply the Canvak when the top was on the truck? I am assuming yes since you mentioned the shrink factor when wet. Also how bad is the smell, does it go away with time or does the rig generally smell like the product all the time? Great thread!

yes on the truck to apply the canvak...use a windex spray bottle or something similar....the smell does go away over time 1-2 weeks kinda stinkie...but...i likie :)

I was just discussing this topic with a buddy who just got an ehsan top...we kinda worked out the best would be canvak 1st wait a week then mcquires for the uv protectent. $20 for canvak and 27 for mcquires.

or

just mcquires on the outside ...the big thing about canvak is that it is mold protectant...it will not let it grow...the mcquires resistant....because it blocks the water from getting to the canvas...retarding the grownth of mold...no water no mold.

if you live in an area the is kinda damp alot...go canvak and if you can afford to do mcquires also for its uv protectant then do so.

also for damp areas or extream temperature changes resulting in dew...you many want to also mcquires or canvack the inside also.

hot dry areas would only probably require the mcquires on the outside for the uv and water resistance

Can't believe no one has asked this yet but what is the best method for gettting bird s*** off the top....since everyone says not to scrub canvas. I have a bunch of crows living around my neighborhood and it is only a matter of time before they drop "A Bomb" on my top.

good thing this was bought up....i forgot to post another product up about mold...it was linked in an earlyer post in this thread...but i had forgot to mention it....soooo....
Losso makes a canvas mold remover and also a cleaner.

here is a link to their stuff...i havent tried either product:
Canvas Cleaners,Mold & Mildew Removers From King Richard Co.

also mcquires has a cleaner that would probably work:
BOAT COVERS BIMINI TOPS AWNINGS: CANVAS CLEANER: Meguiar's Marine/RV

I have always just wet it down and the sprayed to with water and it always comes off...i use the canvak soo it doesnt allow the penetration of poop into the fiber :)

I would think if you used mcquires canvas protectant it would do the same.

Last edited:
here are the three papers that Kayline used to send to you when you bought a kayline replacement top of the oem bows
MVC-016F.JPG
MVC-015F.JPG
MVC-014F.JPG

I found this on the web (mrsclean) thought I'd post it here. "the steps above" are the exact same instructions JohnnyC gave at the start of the thread.

"Follow the steps above for removing dirt and debris, using a brush above. Bleach is not a good solution for removing mold and mildew from canvas and it will not only damage it, but case yellowing. To remove mold and mildew, mix a solution of 50/50 water and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol Use a white cotton towel dampened with the solution to remove mold and mildew from the canvas. Rinse thoroughly with cold water when complete."

Turns out that I may have found some re-branded canvak here is Aus called Dry Seal (Dry Seal - Joseph Lyddy , Australia).

Here's a question for the die hard Canvak users - How does your treated canvas OEM top handle long, dry and dusty roads? Does the dust stick to the canvak?

I'll be treating an original factory soft top with the stuff and due to the types of roads I drive - 1400km round trip of pure dirt roads complete with bulldust (fine talc like dust which hides potholes in the road) - I'd like to know if the canvak leaves the canvas sticky or tacky at all?

I know that bulldust and Drizabones (oilskins) don't mix all that well.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom