Bilsteins over OME no brainer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where I agree OME suck (got >40k out of mine), the problem with Bilsteins is figuring out which one :(. Are you stock, 2.5" or 4" ... What's the part number? If I could figure this out I'd prolly have them on the 40 and 80, but from everything I've ever read they don't exist for a 40 with a 4" SUA lift, or 80 with 2.5" :)

Tucker

get measurements and bilstein provides all the collapsed and extended lengths. took me about 20 minutes to figure out what shocks i needed

the problem with Bilsteins is figuring out which one :(. Are you stock, 2.5" or 4" ... What's the part number? If I could figure this out I'd prolly have them on the 40 and 80, but from everything I've ever read they don't exist for a 40 with a 4" SUA lift, or 80 with 2.5" :)

Tucker

That's funny, they work just fine with my 4" lift. :)

Best pic I have on hand - Christmas Tree run with the local club this last December.

101.JPG

Sorry, I can't remember the part numbers. Basically, just measure your compressed eye to eye length and then your extended eye to eye length. Take those numbers to the Bilstein website and match them up. That's what i did and then ordered the shocks online at shock warehouse. Easy!

:cheers:

He didnt say they work, he said about figuring out what size. Real funny though.:clap:

That's funny, they work just fine with my 4" lift. :)

Best pic I have on hand - Christmas Tree run with the local club this last December.

Sorry, I can't remember the part numbers. Basically, just measure your compressed eye to eye length and then your extended eye to eye length. Take those numbers to the Bilstein website and match them up. That's what i did and then ordered the shocks online at shock warehouse. Easy!

Here's something I wrote on this very subject a couple of years ago in another thread -

Since I'm tired of seeing that Bilsteins don't fit a stock rig, I went to www.summitracing.com and searched for stock height shocks for a 72 Landcruiser. The first two "rear" results were from ProComp and Rancho. The dimensions were: 22.8" extended and 13.7" collapsed for the PCs and 20.25" extended and 12.875" collapsed for the Rancho. I went to the Bilstein webpage listed above and found the corresponding Bilsteins as: BE5-6252-H5 with an extended length of 21.54 and a collapsed length of 13.58, which is right in line with the other two that supposedly "fit" a stock rig. A little research can go a long ways.

Again, the disclaimer is that you should measure your suspension travel to get the appropriate shocks.

I forgot to mention the closest for the stock height front shocks - BE5-6251-H5.

platypusREX said:
He didnt say they work, he said about figuring out what size. Real funny though.:clap:

No - the funny part is you'd think a stock 40, 2.5" lifted 40, and 4" lifted 40 would have similar numbers ... but I've never seen P/Ns posted :(. Not all tat easy figuring out the fully extended/compressed numbers w/o a ramp ... and even then the shocks may be the limiter ...

Tucker

I'll look at my bilsteins next time I'm around my 40 and post a number if it's listed on the shock. I have a 4 inch lift and my shocks haven't seen any action of use since I put them on so i should be able to see pretty well if there is a number

Last edited:
I installed Bilsteins on my cruiser today and let me tell you the ride is so much better than it was with the new OME's it easy to recommend them...

Just thought I would comments. OME are too hard.

BTW, I changed them because they leaked also.

OME I am out.

What springs are you using and how is your rig set up?

tucker74 said:
No - the funny part is you'd think a stock 40, 2.5" lifted 40, and 4" lifted 40 would have similar numbers ... but I've never seen P/Ns posted :(. Not all tat easy figuring out the fully extended/compressed numbers w/o a ramp ... and even then the shocks may be the limiter ...

Tucker

FWIW (I'm sure you already know this), a ramp is not necessary...
Drive up against a steep hill, curb or loading dock There's not much flex SUA before the opposing tire lifts. Measure from that. If your shocks are limiting down travel, then that's not good either.
Could also pull the shocks if there were more question, to be sure.

Nice to hear the opinion!
I got pro comps, and they feel really stiff and had been wondering if the bilsteins were worth the extra cash.

I think it might be that also some people want the 4600s for a lifted vehicle that is a off driveway truck. I like the yellow and blue look rather than the upside down style silver 5100s. I wanted to put the MAF 2 1/2 towers and have yellow shocks.
I wish they had a .pdf for the 4600s like they have for the 5100s.

platypusREX said:
I think it might be that also some people want the 4600s for a lifted vehicle that is a off driveway truck. I like the yellow and blue look rather than the upside down style silver 5100s. I wanted to put the MAF 2 1/2 towers and have yellow shocks.
I wish they had a .pdf for the 4600s like they have for the 5100s.

Aaaah... So they don't have dimensions for the 4600 shocks????
Sorry! I didn't realize that. I thought the fittment would have been the same as for the 5100's and they had a guide as they do for those.

Www.eshocks.com was where I went for fittment numbers if that helps anyone here!! Great prices too!!

When I did my soa on my 62, it was notoriously pitchy post mod and all that i had read, stiff shocks (like doetch techs, pro comps etc.) help w this issue. Not the case w/ a topless 40, though, SOA. That may change when I get a roof rack on and loaded w/ gear for wheeling.
I'll keep the bils in mind though!!

I've found Bilsteins customer service to be great. I contacted them with spring rates, corner weights, and lengths and they custom valved a set of shocks for me on my other car. Just measure what you need and drop them an email and they'll tell you what will fit,

Pete

tucker74 said:

Tucker

Measure with shocks off ! I have ramps and a tape measure and I'm young. I'll help you out. But that's the only think I'm measuring...

everything I've ever read they don't exist for a 40 with a 4" SUA lift

:confused: I run them

Romer had a thread here in like 2004/2005 with his measurements for the 5125 Bilsteins - I had to get 2 inch longer than his for the rear, the front was the correct length

I love mine - ride was so much better after I got them

I had OME"s and was very dissappointed in the ride quality......kept it for 2 mos. Then installed some bilstein 5100"s

Night and Day............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom