Joe’s '77 FJ40 Dream Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who is Joe? Joe is my Dad. My dad purchased this truck back in '97. I remember my mother complaining to me about why he would want to fix up such a rusty moneypit and being pretty floored when he brought it home.

This is the Truck I learned to drive a manual on. My dad had friends that were having high end hunting rigs built up out of 40s and he tried to pull off his version of that with this rig.

In 1998 The truck was repainted its original 031 white. Soon after the respray and bondo hack-job, the 2f got a complete rebuild and valve job from a local machine shop that turns out some great work on race cars. I am a reformed drag racer and know their 7-9 second cars very well. I wish that could be said for the painter :mad: . The truck was decommissioned in 2000 for a carb issue that was misdiagnosed as a dying engine by Wimberly 4wd. After bringing her home from the shop, it was used as a "yard dog" around the several acre property for the past 10 years. It has pulled a car or two out of the trees after a wreck, and may or may not have been used to pull up some tree stumps and stretch chain-link fence around the perimeter.

Fast forward to 2011. When Dad was considering selling it, I told him that I would like to fix it up and buy it from him since it has always been a root of fun memories for me. Such fond memories as getting up at 6 a.m. to push start the darn truck in winter months as he left for work. Important lessons that ironically I went through years later with one of my own Daily Drivers. Like father like son I guess.

Ten years out in the weather with the top off has done a number on some parts, but at least I know the history of it going back 14 years. That cant be said for most acquisitions.

There are definite weak spots. The frame seems to only have surface scale. I have already ordered the procar pro90 seats. I will fabricate brackets and mount this weekend in order to rid it of the tree stump driver's seat. Other than that, I'll mostly start working on loosening bolts and evaluating power.

First drive impressions: The truck scoots down the farm roads. It has had some recent TLC to the carb and tune-up courtesy of my dad and a friend of his. The stock seats are trashed, hence the temporary seat :hillbilly: It has a welded on steel front bumper, and a custom rear steel bumper which also brace the basket. This basket is built so it can also have stock tail lights installed. This is for sale for anyone in Texas who wants the start of a swing out bumper (it will make a good start).

I've got my work cut out for me.:cheers:
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg

Last edited:
Haha awesome driver seat. It needs more triangulation. I wouldn't be 'scootin' anywhere too fast.

Haha awesome driver seat. It needs more triangulation. I wouldn't be 'scootin' anywhere too fast.

I had a cousin with a 52 Chevy and had the seats out and was driving sitting on a wooden fruit box. He was messing with his girlfriend and the box fell over and he hit a tree Haa haa! Yep love the 40 seat!

Glad you picked it up and are keeping it in the family and very cool that it is the vehicle you learned to drive a stick on. I love the front bumper, this looks like a great rig to start building back up. I will be looking for more pictures.

I just received the Procar pro90 seats. This seat is amazingly similar in stitching to the stock 77 seats. I fabricated up brackets for the seats and mocked up positioning. I see a lot of people comment about the higher seat position of the after-market seats, especially the Procar. After looking at how procar designs their bracket and how others have done theirs, I decided to go with this design and am extremely pleased. If anyone is considering the Procars, I will definitely share my pattern and measurements. This was all done with recycled angle iron that will be prepped and powdercoated later. These seats and brackets measure out to the identical seating height as stock.

The rest of the day I spent cleaning out 10 years worth or mud dobbers nests and elm tree leaves.:meh:

I can't figure out why so many parts are this darker beige. the covers for the Floor, filler neck, and center console as well as body behind the brackets on the Hard top are all this color. what stock color is that if any?

Last edited:
I welded for the first time today. I am better than I thought I would be. I finished up the passenger side Bracket and Drilled and stripped all the brackets down to bare steel for the ceramic paint coating. I chose to use the Ceramic caliper paint because I have used it before and I like how durable it is and the way it levels. Once this bakes in the sun for a few days, it will cure nicely.

I decided to go ahead and do the front heater restoration today. The core and foam were surprisingly in good shape. I just washed out a little crud. I used duplicolor Vinyl die for the top vent and same Ceramic paint for the steel box. You can see the "before" if you look behind the hanging Brackets. I'm very happy with the way this turned out and am ready to do the pull knobs and lower Dash Pads.

I installed the heater, Brackets and seats and took her for a spin. I also tossed the Toyota molded mat back in, that is not shown in the picture.
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo (3).jpg

Last edited:
Hanging the painted parts from the roll cage is *awesome* reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies where they hang bodies of dead pirates at the entrance to the harbor.
Maybe my cruiser will behave better if I hang some new parts at the entrance to my shop?
Great thread, I'd like to use the climate control someday so Mrs. Jbee will ride in the LC.

I welded for the first time today. I am better than I thought I would be. I finished up the passenger side Bracket and Drilled and stripped all the brackets down to bare steel for the Ceramic coating. I chose to Use the Ceramic caliper paint because I have used it before and I like how durable it is and the way it Finishes (It fills very well). Once this Bakes in the sun for a few days, it will cure nicely.

I decided to go ahead and do the Front Heater restoration today. Core and foam were surprisingly in good shape. I just washed out a little crud. Vinyl die for the top vent and same Ceramic paint for the steel box. You can see the "before" if you look behind the hanging Brackets. I'm very happy with the way this turned out and am ready to do the pull knobs and lower Dash Pads.

Installed Heater, Brackets and seats and took her for a spin. Also tossed the Toyota molded mat back in, that is not shown in the picture.

Nice.. what is this ceramic paint? I will be doing some bench work, and a rear bumper-tire carrier. Don't really want to powdercoat such large pieces, but the satin finish on your parts look great! You say it's pretty durable? How easy to apply? Is it rattlecan? or do you need a spray or HVLP setup?

Subscribed.. :clap:

Can someone tell me what this does/is and whether this is just a disconnected ground? This is under the passenger's side dash.

Also, any advice on what's best to lubricate the knob pull chords?

No idea.. but my guess would be horn relay? I used silicone spray down cables, like knobs and even my throttle linkage.

That seat looks great in there ! Enjoy your project.:cheers:

ARC1 said:
Nice.. what is this ceramic paint? I will be doing some bench work, and a rear bumper-tire carrier. Don't really want to powdercoat such large pieces, but the satin finish on your parts look great! You say it's pretty durable? How easy to apply? Is it rattlecan? or do you need a spray or HVLP setup?

Subscribed.. :clap:

It is the rattle can duplicolor brake caliper paint(available at most auto parts Box stores). I would say it actually has a semigloss finish. it bonds well to bare metal which is why I chose it. I ground down the recycled steel to bare metal after I fabbed those brackets with a gator disc. Two cans did all of the seat brackets, the factory seat brackets a well as the heater box. I was also dealing with some significant winds during the process which wasted a little paint.

It is the rattle can duplicolor brake caliper paint(available at most auto parts Box stores). I would say it actually has a semigloss finish. it bonds well to bare metal which is why I chose it. I ground down the recycled steel to bare metal after I fabbed those brackets with a gator disc. Two cans did all of the seat brackets, the factory seat brackets a well as the heater box. I was also dealing with some significant winds during the process which wasted a little paint.

No primer? No rust?
Sounds perfect!! :clap:

Haven't been down to work on the truck in a while. I purchased a set of original jump seat covers and pads since mine are toast. new pads as shipping from SOR was a little to pricey for me. I got this high density material for 35 with a labor day coupon from Jo Anne fabrics. It is made specifically for seat cushions. Apparently a meat knife I the recommended way to cut seat foam.

Today's little project...
image-307738052.jpg
image-4040932246.jpg

Last edited:
She's looking good.

I had a little fun this weekend. My cousin and I Installed a new speedo cable that I ordered from JToutfitters on the assumption mine had rotted, which it had. The part got here in 2 days, so I was very happy to have it before the weekend. That's more than I can say for the fuel filter I ordered from Autozone which never arrived. They eventually refunded my order and I applied the credit towards a new air cleaner.

We drained the gas tank and delightfully found no sediment.

Next, we removed the doors. This takes care of the severe rattling caused by lack of weather stripping and washboard country roads. I really like it doorless, however, boy did 45 mph feel fast.

After a quick spin around the block in the 40, we grabbed the flatbed and went about 150 miles round trip to empty out a fellow cruiserhead's storage. He had been parting out a 40 and wanted everything else gone. We picked up an Olive Green complete tub that needs new floors due to some pinhole rust/cancer, and a ton of miscellaneous parts that I am sure will come in handy. One of which was a 1980 roll cage which has the seat belt mounts on it with stock rollbar pads in good shape. I went ahead and installed that Sunday.

Last edited:
Success! The speedometer is a little bouncy, is this normal or due to a small rust issue in my odometer? Perhaps because I did not lube the speedocable core yet, or maybe because the truck hasnt registered a mph in 10+ years.

Here are the only pics from the weekend:
The fixed speedo, new tub, and temporary air filter.
image-636891580.jpg
image-699739039.jpg
image-2744845687.jpg

Last edited:
probably need to lube the speedo cable. Bouncy is not normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom