Odometer rolls over on the 5 not the 0 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sonoransteel.com
I have a 1971 that has spent it's entire life in Arizona, in the heat. So the grease on the odometer hardened up a long time ago and the white wheel with the 1/10's of miles broke into many pices.

I bought another early cluster speedo on eBay from Idaho, not so hot, and removed the odometer from that unit. It was stuck but not broken. Dis-assembled it, cleaned it all up and put it back together. I installed it in the original speedo, not the eBay one. That eBay speed had a red wire soldered to it that was cut, my irginal 71 did not have a red wire.

The odometer works but all of the barrels roll over on the 5 not the 0. So I got to 20 miles and it went back to 10 and then rolled over to 25 when the 5 came around again. All positions roll on the 5.

I suspect something isn't indexed correctly or that new part isn't compatible. Seems to me there are people here on this forum with parts and experience to fix odometers if you can't figure it out.

I think I figured it out. on the meal separators, the very small gear will be either at the top of the bottom, I am willing to be I have them in the wrong position.

Anyone know weather they should be at the top or the bottom? When installed in the gauge.

IMG_6317.jpg

Hey I know the answer to this I think. You have the metal separator reversed. See the pic below. That would be the 10,000 wheel. Try to reverse the separator and try again.

Wrong
IMG20240306081420.jpg

Right
IMG20240306081757.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom