Hard top weather stripping project (measurements needed) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess this could be a little project thread. I have been racking my brain with the hard top gasket options. The main reason that I have not ordered is because no one will show a picture of the stripping that they are selling you. They either show a picture of stock toyota stripping and call their replica "the best" ;) or they show you a far out picture that only looks like door guard trim. I also have read good reviews, but also many comments about the fact that once each person got the product, it was merely a common weatherstrip available form anywhere. Call me cheap, but if I am not going toyota original anyway, I might as well do this local and see what I am buying.

Can someone help me with the measurement for the top rail? from B pillar to the rear door frame? I need it to be under 5 feet :hillbilly:

I already have a factory ratty top rail weather strip that I can model this project after. I believe that I can do the top rail and tub to hard top mount for 37 bucks.

I'll get some pictures and report back. Thanks for helping this cheapskate.

I'll get some pictures and report back. Thanks for helping this cheapskate.

You, a cheapskate? I'm hoping to do mine for well under $20 Mr. Moneybags--;) :D. I'm miles away from my home shop, but I do hope you get your measurements and find a way to do this well on the cheap. Good luck! JD

i did my under $ 10.- because i dirtcheap.

I want it to as closely emulate the stock weatherstripping as possible. After I get the measurements, I will know what to buy. Unfortunately this roll comes in 10 foot lengths only.
This weatherstripping for the side with the foam side trim splayed open with a razor blade, and the camper stripping for the flat rail portion.
IMG_1994[1].jpg
IMG_1995[1].jpg
IMG_1992[1].jpg

I just put my top back on for the winter a few days ago or I would be happy to measure it for you.

The roll of stuff you have there looks way too thick to me, but maybe the bigger tube will compress a lot. The top is going to want to push it off when it sets down on the tub though, I'm thinking. The stock one is an inverted "V", to have some chance of staying in between the top and the tub when the top comes down on the tub. The stock one is also tapered at the rear corners, because that is the tightest fit of the whole thing.

FJsnoozer said:
Can someone help me with the measurement for the top rail? from B pillar to the rear door frame? I need it to be under 5 feet :hillbilly:

How about 55.5" on my Dec 76 model. Is that what you are looking for? That is from the B pillar down the rail and around the corner to the ambulance door opening.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Copenhagen1 said:
How about 55.5" on my Dec 76 model. Is that what you are looking for? That is from the B pillar down the rail and around the corner to the ambulance door opening.

Perfect! Thank you. I got 120" for 29 bucks.

FJsnoozer said:
I am going to trim off most of the sphericalportion to drape like the factory gasket. It should work great as long as the length is enough.

I was worried that you would not have enough room for all that thickness, but if your plan is to cut out what you don't need, the stuff looks like a great value.

No pictures yet, but I will use an 18 foot section of garage door WS, which is what CCOT uses for the setup that they sell. Cost... $15
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/coolfj40_2238_4499093

I have the factory gasket, which split from its own weight while hanging off the door headers. I have yet to decide whether to use the original gasket or spend the time to notch out my new weatherstripping. Cost... $15 at home depot

I also bought some additional weather strippingthat duplicates this... cost $9
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/weatstripwin.html

I have also made the smaller pads for the top rail post and windshield. These come in the Spector SOR kit, but not CCOTs. as you put it together, you can see how important it is for an air tight fit.

I guess I'll post everything up here.
I went with this steel reenforced Liner for the top rail. 10 feet fill do the whole thing and leave you with 7 inches left, Cost...$30 from Pepboys.

Bolt section on top rail as well as other miscelaneous. Camper weather stripping posted above. There are two different densities that they sell. One is $7, but I went with the better foam in the 30 foot section. Cost... $19.

Total ~ 75 bucks

Total ~ 75 bucks

Also, if you could snap a couple of pictures of your hardtop assembly process I would benefit from that greatly; and hopefully others as this is probably FAQ bound. Mine came disassembled, so right now I'm relying on SOR diagrams and any pictures I can scrounge of the bows, spacers, gaskets, etc.

Nice work! :clap:

This is great. I've already bought the Toyota tub to top stripping or I would have gone this route.

Any ideas for front and ambulance door stripping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom