Arizona Forest Service FJ40? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDS

Threads
Hey Cruisers. Pulled this FJ40 out of a Montana barn a few years back. COVID has me inside doing a very light refresh on it. Decided to stay with patina.
Question: Does anybody in AZ recall Bud Beck Scottsdale dealership providing US Forest Service FJ’s? Mine has a hole pattern in the roof that could only be a ‘light bar’. Door paint remnants of what looks to be a logo of some sort. And seat fabric that might have been special order for desert heat on Ranger butts!!
If it was a FS truck it might be cool to take it back to that??
Any posts that could help me track down its birth would be appreciated.
JD
See pics!

16564E97-967D-4126-ACA6-237F34F97DA6.jpeg

B814D38A-9C8B-4FF9-9983-96327E1A03D2.jpeg

431E3370-D6D8-43CB-B8BB-64D3F170B8C6.jpeg

BF6275B8-59AA-449C-AB1F-47F7C51BCF44.jpeg

5D6DF42A-BDB9-448A-855E-1C40FAC83D04.jpeg

Thanks! I drove by it in Bozeman for years before the old guy finally let me buy it. I had to promise him a ride in it when I got it going. He’d be shocked if I pulled up in a FS truck!
JD

Do not remember any Bud Beck Toyota in AZ. Scott Toyota is the one I remember in Scottsdale. Was Fann Toyota and Westside Toyota in Phoenix. Westside was bought by Larry Miller around this time, Fann became Camelback Toyota. Big Two Olds and Toyota in Tempe. Now just Big Two Toyota. Today their are Toyota dealers all over the Phoenix area. Forty years ago may have been another one or so by 81. There is a Right Toyota in North Scottsdale but that is a new dealership and isn't anywhere near that old.

Arizona has a forestry department which is not part of the National Forest Service. Those would possibly have the National Forest name their were from but no National Forest name with Arizona in it.

Do not remember any Forest service trucks back then that weren't green. White is common color today but not in 81. Being a 81 if it was a government vehicle CarFax would probably show it as 81 was the first year with the seventeen digit VIN.

I doubt the FS would have been able to buy Toyota. It all goes through GSA, and I've never seen non domestic FS trucks. (I worked in the FS in Colorado years ago).

Also, it might be illegal to put government/law enforcement symbols on a civilian vehicle. ?

Super nice 40 !

Another one that should be returned to Montana.

Another one that should be returned to Montana.

Not if it was originally from AZ. Long term survival for a 40 is not much than Montana. Same with Missouri, Arizona's climate is will preserve the metal. Just stay off the Federal and State highways when it snows. They stopped using red cinders in favor of salt on the Interstate back to the eighties and slowly over to state routes.

Thanks for the posts. All good thoughts. Agree the FS would not have a foreign purchase. I saw in another post that FS in California had 40’s in service in the desert. I googled Bud Beck and they were not a mainline Toyota dealer, GM I think, but the logo is painted on old school. Used truck at the dealer maybe.
There are some aftermarket wire leads to the roof and under dash.
Maybe a local LE rig, too.
Has Anybody seen that interior? I’d like to get my hands on that material. Jump seats are the same so has to be factory.
PS. The truck in staying in Montucky!
JD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom