Arizona Forest Service FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDS

Threads
Hey Cruisers. Pulled this FJ40 out of a Montana barn a few years back. COVID has me inside doing a very light refresh on it. Decided to stay with patina.
Question: Does anybody in AZ recall Bud Beck Scottsdale dealership providing US Forest Service FJ’s? Mine has a hole pattern in the roof that could only be a ‘light bar’. Door paint remnants of what looks to be a logo of some sort. And seat fabric that might have been special order for desert heat on Ranger butts!!
If it was a FS truck it might be cool to take it back to that??
Any posts that could help me track down its birth would be appreciated.
JD
See pics!

16564E97-967D-4126-ACA6-237F34F97DA6.jpeg

B814D38A-9C8B-4FF9-9983-96327E1A03D2.jpeg

431E3370-D6D8-43CB-B8BB-64D3F170B8C6.jpeg

BF6275B8-59AA-449C-AB1F-47F7C51BCF44.jpeg

5D6DF42A-BDB9-448A-855E-1C40FAC83D04.jpeg

Great info. Thank you. Mine checks out with the dates in your research. Honestly, I have not even run the heater. She runs but has an engine noise that I have not been able isolate. I will fire her up and reply. What exactly do you want to know?
JD

Should have to run the engine to verify how the rear motor works. Half charged battery could probably do that.

Here is the best picture I could find of the Middle East vinyl seat cover.
View attachment 2566639
On the FJ4X could find cloth brown zebra stripped seats. Used on the BJ42 and FJ40 LX models. Mid wheel base in Japan had the zebra strip seats as well. There was complete trim package for the brown cloth seats. Floor mats, steering wheel, door panels and trim panel in the back above the wheel wells.
Wow. Hmm, they call that ‘middle East’? That is some plaid! Thanks for the pic. Mine had grey carpet button snapped down throughout, but all else looks pretty standard.
It looks like mine was some sort of deluxe sport package. With Nippondenso AC. It had what appeared to be dealer installed Warn wench and Warn ‘400 series’ bumper lights. So the dealer gussied this one up.
JD

Ok. No problem. Will do and report.
least I can do with all the help that is being provided!
I went out and fired her up. I did not get her warm. I don’t think mine is operating. When I depressed the switch nothing happens. Even with the fan blower and heater pulls out full. Is there a secondary blower in console? I could not feel or hear anything. There is inside what appears to be radiation coils of some sort. Is it fed coolant from the radiator? I know nothing about it (obviously!)
I’d be happy to help. Not much this far. Let me know.
JD

Wow. Hmm, they call that ‘middle East’? That is some plaid! Thanks for the pic. Mine had grey carpet button snapped down throughout, but all else looks pretty standard.
It looks like mine was some sort of deluxe sport package. With Nippondenso AC. It had what appeared to be dealer installed Warn wench and Warn ‘400 series’ bumper lights. So the dealer gussied this one up.
JD

Middle East market is where they had the vinyl seat cover with this pattern. That is a passenger seat from a FJ45LP at least 1/79 or newer.

The A/C is factory installed. Rare item to find. The whole package included more than the A/C it had a different bracket to mount the battery as well as a different radiator.

The Warn items unless you have original dealer paper work really can't know for sure when and who installed it. Because they were not installed at the factory no standard was used to install them.

I went out and fired her up. I did not get her warm. I don’t think mine is operating. When I depressed the switch nothing happens. Even with the fan blower and heater pulls out full. Is there a secondary blower in console? I could not feel or hear anything. There is inside what appears to be radiation coils of some sort. Is it fed coolant from the radiator? I know nothing about it (obviously!)
I’d be happy to help. Not much this far. Let me know.
JD

Didn't need to warm it up. The plumbing is standard with only one shut off valve operated from the dash. Blower is what I was interested in. 9/73 the rear heater no lower had a separate switch on the dash. If an option heater was installed it would only work when the front blower was on high speed after 9/73 except for the optional rear heater 8/80-1/81. How that one operated is a mystery to me. Only wiring I have is in the Haynes manual which only shows the back fan operated by the front switch on the 81 wiring diagram.

There was a Bud Beck Pontiac in Scottsdale up until the Pontiac line was discontinued, maybe he sold Toyota’s at one time or maybe performed service on it.

There was a Bud Beck Pontiac in Scottsdale up until the Pontiac line was discontinued, maybe he sold Toyota’s at one time or maybe performed service on it.
Yes, thanks.. I googled Bud Beck. All I really saw was his obit and that we was quite the Scottsdale dealer dude in his day!
But aren’t all car folks!!

Didn't need to warm it up. The plumbing is standard with only one shut off valve operated from the dash. Blower is what I was interested in. 9/73 the rear heater no lower had a separate switch on the dash. If an option heater was installed it would only work when the front blower was on high speed after 9/73 except for the optional rear heater 8/80-1/81. How that one operated is a mystery to me. Only wiring I have is in the Haynes manual which only shows the back fan operated by the front switch on the 81 wiring diagram.
Hmm? There is no switch on the dash. Only on the top of the console. Of course with no on/off light. That switch feels a bit gummy to me though. Mounted exactly were the coke cup would go! I’ll give it a closer look and check that switch. There is certainly a beefy wire harness in there . I’m not that far into the interior yet. But when I take the cover off to clean I will get a meter out and see what’s happening and I’ll post to you in a conversation In a day or so.
Thanks for all your insight.
JD

Hmm? There is no switch on the dash. Only on the top of the console. Of course with no on/off light. That switch feels a bit gummy to me though. Mounted exactly were the coke cup would go! I’ll give it a closer look and check that switch. There is certainly a beefy wire harness in there . I’m not that far into the interior yet. But when I take the cover off to clean I will get a meter out and see what’s happening and I’ll post to you in a conversation In a day or so.
Thanks for all your insight.
JD
Here is the wiring diagram from my 81 manual.
probably the same as Haynes, but it does show two heater control switches.
AAAFFCBA-EB48-4798-8296-150F213D4C02.jpeg

My guess is your 81 was made before 2/81? Only show the rear heater having the switch in the back 8/80-1/81. Would be curious how that rear heater operates. Does the front heater need to be on high for it to work or does it work independently of the front heater? Going to update my 3/79 to a 8/80+ rear heater. Have a couple of them which only have the 8/82+ blank instead of a switch. Switch was one of the easier parts to find, the same switch was used on the front dash of the FJ60.

I bought the switch and added it to an 82 I used to own. I wired it to run completely independent. It would be cool to know what the stock function was.

Here is the wiring diagram from my 81 manual.
probably the same as Haynes, but it does show two heater control switches.
View attachment 2567075

I see two lights marked heater which are probably the one in the upper dash pad and the one above the damper control arm on the keft side of the heater but not seeing an actual heater blower motor. I also see a glow coil relay which would be for a diesel not petrol model. Do find it intersting these light have a resistor in series with the circuit.

I see two lights marked heater which are probably the one in the upper dash pad and the one above the damper control arm on the keft side of the heater but not seeing an actual heater blower motor. I also see a glow coil relay which would be for a diesel not petrol model. Do find it intersting these light have a resistor in series with the circuit.
I fired her up and got her warm. The console heater switch works only on dash high fan pull. But it also seems to have a thermostat someplace in the system as the fan stops when it reaches some temp level. Hot coolant does seem circulate all the time when the dash ‘warm’ knob is pulled. It still radiates heats when fan pull is off. The console switch can be switched on but a high temp kicks off the fan. Thermo switch someplace.
It was hard to figure out the delay in the system.
Definitely not a direct wired on/off fan switch. Even with the fan pulled out to high.
Hope that helps.
JD

That does help but wondering if the fan isn't over heating or something aftermarket added. No thermostat on the FJ40 hearing circuit. Besides the knob on the dash to regulate the flow of coolant the back of the console has a lever that controls the flow to the back heater. The front valve is the master and if off the back will have no flow. My 89 FJ62 has the se setup as did my 3rd gen 4Runner.

That does help but wondering if the fan isn't over heating or something aftermarket added. No thermostat on the FJ40 hearing circuit. Besides the knob on the dash to regulate the flow of coolant the back of the console has a lever that controls the flow to the back heater. The front valve is the master and if off the back will have no flow. My 89 FJ62 has the se setup as did my 3rd gen 4Runner.
It is all stock. But could be my switch. But the fan definitely shut off when I pushed to fan knob less than high. Was never blowing on first fan setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom