8x Series V8 Swaps (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dont know. I don't guess it matters as a lot of tuners just have their's on a holder that can be clamped on the tip of any exhaust.
If your checking for emissions gasses on a dyno then I would check after the cat which is what Denver emissions centers do on the emissions dyno, but tuning for power I would personally want it b4 the cat. In the video they complain about the air fuel readings being off. They say it has a exhaust leak, but a exhaust leak has to be a really bad leak to throw off afr numbers from what I've seen. I'm also curious if the snorkel chokes the LS. The 80 snorkel isn't very big in diameter. I wonder how much lift that 80 has. It has a nice stance.

If your checking for emissions gasses on a dyno then I would check after the cat which is what Denver emissions centers do on the emissions dyno, but tuning for power I would personally want it b4 the cat. In the video they complain about the air fuel readings being off. They say it has a exhaust leak, but a exhaust leak has to be a really bad leak to throw off afr numbers from what I've seen. I'm also curious if the snorkel chokes the LS. The 80 snorkel isn't very big in diameter. I wonder how much lift that 80 has. It has a nice stance.
not only snorkel chokes it but air inlet on air filter box

Things are going back together. Need to figure out why my heat/ac won’t blow, and why my speedometer isn’t working.
a year ago yesterday the 1FZ-FE s*** the bed on me. Didn’t start the swap till mid March. Drove around, ran some errands, etc w/ it yesterday.
AF7D8F6F-9DA0-4E07-AD90-0EF8F88B7C21.jpeg
B71E2B95-6775-48DE-A3EA-06A1CDC6D183.jpeg
977C1882-18B9-42E6-BD56-2F0CEAB45FF3.jpeg

Things are going back together. Need to figure out why my heat/ac won’t blow, and why my speedometer isn’t working.
a year ago yesterday the 1FZ-FE s*** the bed on me. Didn’t start the swap till mid March. Drove around, ran some errands, etc w/ it yesterday. View attachment 2429768View attachment 2429769View attachment 2429770

When I got mine all back together the speedometer wasn’t working because I accidentally deleted the power wire to the sensor on the t-case.

When I got mine all back together the speedometer wasn’t working because I accidentally deleted the power wire to the sensor on the t-case.
I was thinking it might be something like this, that or maybe the ground....

Thought I'd make a post on how I'm doing my ECU brake signals.
The PSI Conversions harness I'm using calls for:

12V Brakes Applied - Yellow wire
12V Brakes NOT Applied - Purple wire

The first is the typical brake light/ torque converter unlock signal. You could get the second output from that with a relay.

But the Land Cruiser has a double pole stop light switch. Turns out the cruise control system need a connection to ground when the brakes are NOT applied, which opens when the brakes are applied. From the CC wiring diagram:

brake_switch_wd.PNG

The Green-Light Blue (G-L) wire into the top right of the stop switch is 12V straight from the fuse.

So if I join that to the Red wire at the top left of the stop switch, I should get what I need out of the Red-Green and Green-White wires at the bottom of the stop switch.

The Red and Green-Light Blue wires are accessible at the plug for the Cruise Control ECU under the DS dash.

The Green-White wire comes out at pin 8 of the IH1 connector at the PS firewall. Connect to the Yellow wire for the GM ECU
The Red-Green wire is accessible at the Cruise Control Actuator plug at the PS fender. Connect to the Purple wire for the GM ECU

If anyone sees anything wrong with this, light me up!

Here is bloc more elegantly explaining what you have acutely discovered. 2 posts later in post #264 is a picture of the wires I used to get my truck running.

Technically you only need the R-G wire for GM's purposes, not sure what PSI needs the voltage for when brakes are applied?? Maybe a cruise control or some sort of ignition safety feature. AFAIK, GM uses +12v when brakes not applied for TCC control. But I'm unsure what engine you're installing and I only know gen3 vortecs. And by "know", I mean what I did on my truck which I have no idea if it is correct...but it drives and runs without wiring issues. Reference from LT1swap.com

Pin 33 - Purple - TCC Brake Switch - This wire tells the PCM when you hit the brakes. It needs 12v+ all the time, and the brake switch should "open" this circuit when you hit the brakes.

Here are some dyno numbers I found. They seem to show how much power is available just by doing a tune on a stock engine-messing with air fuel ratio and timing.

A stock Ls3 with a tune can make nearly 500hp and like 480tq.

Keep in mind AFAIK these numbers are at the crank with no accessory drive at all which in a vehicle will normally take some hp. Also from what I understand when you get a tune you have to be careful how far they push it or else you'll have to run premium octane all the time.

Last edited:
Been looking for a previous post, I found the question was asked but no solid answer, so here I go...

On my LQ9 swap, the donor engine comes from a Escalade equiped with Hydroboost; I used the power steering pump that came with the engine; plugged the extra port as commented in this thread, I've been driving the rig for a year now; and im not liking the oversensitive steering at highway speeds.

Comparing specs, I found the following
- Toyota pump - 1500 psi and 2.750 GPM
- LS pump - 1300-1559 psi and 3.5-3.9 GPM (Escalade)

Is it possible that the Escalade pump added flow is driving the oversensitivity on the steering box? Pressure rates are in the ballpark, but flow is significantly higher.

Any thoughts on this, or has anyone encountered this problem on their swap?

-Emerson.

Been looking for a previous post, I found the question was asked but no solid answer, so here I go...

On my LQ9 swap, the donor engine comes from a Escalade equiped with Hydroboost; I used the power steering pump that came with the engine; plugged the extra port as commented in this thread, I've been driving the rig for a year now; and im not liking the oversensitive steering at highway speeds.

Comparing specs, I found the following
- Toyota pump - 1500 psi and 2.750 GPM
- LS pump - 1300-1559 psi and 3.5-3.9 GPM (Escalade)

Is it possible that the Escalade pump added flow is driving the oversensitivity on the steering box? Pressure rates are in the ballpark, but flow is significantly higher.

Any thoughts on this, or has anyone encountered this problem on their swap?

-Emerson.

You can adjust the pressure by swapping out the flow piston.

*Below parts are examples, find the exact one for your application*

or install a reducer fitting into the line like this:

Or install one of these

or an adjustable pump.

I had a heidts flow regulator but I have since removed it. Never really got the chance to dial it in. I had power steering leaks all over the place, so I removed it and will add if I need to. Steering was definitely more reposonsive after I removed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom