8x Series V8 Swaps (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a long Lokar cable (5'?). It was pretty straightforward and came with the needed brackets.
Do you remember what kit by chance? Part number maybe?
thanks

Do you remember what kit by chance? Part number maybe?
thanks

I bought this (4’) model first, but had to go back for the 68189 5’ cable, which doesn’t appear to have the brackets.

B343B51D-5583-408A-B83C-C2A77A70D363.jpeg

I bought this (4’) model first, but had to go back for the 68189 5’ cable, which doesn’t appear to have the brackets.

View attachment 2399116

well crap! thanks.
I've hit my wall on this project and it's mostly do to shifter crap.

Fair.
Do you have a build thread i can reference?
No, but I just snapped some pictures. They aren’t the greatest, but it’s pretty simple.

Flip the lever on the trans to the top so the push/pull interface between the shifter is correct. A simple mount in the trans tunnel on the passenger side to hold that cable will need to be fab’d up. Shifter works perfectly like stock after playing with adjustment a bit.

Stock GM cable bracket on side of trans (flipped to the top of course):

1E387DCD-79DB-49BF-9661-2A72C64C5C1A.jpeg

218E812D-E700-44E6-96B3-82F777351636.jpeg

0CB73B74-C96C-4495-9B1A-7554D2FED9F0.jpeg

Factory GM lever flipped to the top:

CFB0A614-BE9E-4B8F-B991-685A2B9A7F8C.jpeg

Here is the simple mount that is bolted to the passenger side of the trans tunnel to hold the cable on that end:

F730DCAF-9805-496C-9A4A-F9F95D4E0CD6.jpeg

Hope this helps. It has worked perfectly for 3yrs 30k+ miles.

@rockrod has an awesome shifter mod thread somewhere that I followed with slight modification but I can't find it now
I could be wrong, but remember it being a horrendous hack job (sorry rockrod, an early pioneer)

Several of the early swaps were. They were trying to make the stock shifter work from the driver side of the tunnel. That, or they used a aftermarket shifter. -Totally unnecessary with the 4l60 trans.

His was done from the passenger side. It's been a couple years but i remember straightening out the stock linkage plate so it stuck out into the bottom of the tunnel. I grabbed a shifter bracket off another transmission and bolted that to the bottom of the tunnel with a piece welded to it to extend it a little and then used a 1/4" nylock nut and bolt to fasten the linkage to the cable. My cable points towards the back of the truck, runs over my fuel tank and then along the frame to the tranny so there is only one bend in it. Rockrod's info was important for the distance center to center for the holes in the linkage. I remember 3.625" for some reason. I reused the cable from the chevy truck I took the motor out of.

I don't think that dude is on here anymore. I've used his thread a lot for info, but didn't like the way he did the shifter.
@thatcabledude thank you for the pics and stuff!

Last edited:
Backed out of the garage under its own power.

Drove it home from the exhaust shop. First time driving her in almost a year! Still some things to tidy up, tune and then she should be ready!

Random question guys, but what is the most popular engine to swap into a FZJ80?

since this thread is specific to v8's, i assume that is what you mean. My guess is a gen iii vortec - lm7 5.3L. Mainly because that is what is really common and there are a ton in junk yards now. But, all the gm motors are basically the same block, similar heads etc. If you have emissions, pick your year carefully....some have egr, some don't, can't put a heavy duty truck engine in the light duty classification the 80 series is etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom