8x Series V8 Swaps (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any issues with the compression fittings so far? I noticed they specify that the compression fitting is made for steel lines and we're fitting them to aluminum. Did you use any pipe dope or any other sealant during the install?

Thanks for the write-up!
I made mine with the same materials/same way and have 80k+ miles on them.

Any issues with the compression fittings so far? I noticed they specify that the compression fitting is made for steel lines and we're fitting them to aluminum. Did you use any pipe dope or any other sealant during the install?

Thanks for the write-up!
No sealant when I assembled. I ended up selling the vehicle after a couple years but haven’t heard of any issues.

Thinking of swapping in a 5.3 if I keep my LX450. Started the same swap
in my 79 IH Traveler before I sold it. Issue for the 4.5L is power and fuel consumption as it was with IH 345 V8. Will need to get up to speed on the latest as it has been a long time since I read up up LS swaps for the 80 Series.

Thinking of swapping in a 5.3 if I keep my LX450. Started the same swap
in my 79 IH Traveler before I sold it. Issue for the 4.5L is power and fuel consumption as it was with IH 345 V8. Will need to get up to speed on the latest as it has been a long time since I read up up LS swaps for the 80 Series.

When I do mine, I'm going to use the Torfab GM Gen V kit. Then grab a newer 5.3L with an 8 or 10 speed transmission. It takes all the guesswork out of it for me. I'm good with wiring and enjoy doing it too (I know, I'm weird), so being able to drop the drivetrain in and not having to measure angles, depth, figuring out engine mounts, etc is huge for me. The Gen V 5.3L torque curve is sooo sweet and it's easy to get more power out of.

When I do mine, I'm going to use the Torfab GM Gen V kit. Then grab a newer 5.3L with an 8 or 10 speed transmission. It takes all the guesswork out of it for me. I'm good with wiring and enjoy doing it too (I know, I'm weird), so being able to drop the drivetrain in and not having to measure angles, depth, figuring out engine mounts, etc is huge for me. The Gen V 5.3L torque curve is sooo sweet and it's easy to get more power out of.
If I wasn't so deep in my swap that is what I would do.

I am currently in the first stage of the swap and may have a found the 5.3 w 4L65 drivetrain, in the spirit of RockRod's build. I am thinking the DBC setup will mitigate some of the alterations/fabrication (e.g., pedal swap).

My question are people using one of the aftermarket hand held tuners (enable a stock, tow, and performance profile) or getting a little more performance factored in when you have the PCM flashed?

I’d recommend getting a tune done. You’ll want to turn off a bunch of codes, electric fan control points maybe. Emissions stuff, vats. You’ll most likely need to find someone local.
After reading through all 172 pages of this thread I have compiled a listing of do's and dont's as well as a parts listing. I am leaning toward utilizing PSI or Speartech for the harness and PCM flash as they have good reviews and can do everything in house. I have checked locally but have not found a tuner that I feel comfortable with yet.

So far I have the following needing to be "adjusted" when getting the PCM flashed: VATS, disabling electric fans (going to run a mechanical setup), adding/adjusting the AC clutch circuit/signal, adjust tire size and flash t show the 80 series info not the GM (not sure if this is possible). I am also leaning toward having no emissions as my state does not require it. I am sure there are some other things I am missing but will have to look through my notes.

Last edited:
You’ll find a tuner. When you get your exhaust built. Put in an extra O2 port for a “wide band” o2 sensor for tuning. You can drive down the road with a test o2 sensor in and continue to calibrate. Check Fb and any machine shops for a tuner. You’ll find one. It’s not hard, they can’t really screw anything up. My buddy and I did it ourselves with free software. Watch some videos on PC Hammer. You can get all that done for free. Just takes a little time.

So I'm finalizing my L8T engine location in my FJ80 frame, but I don't have a body for reference 😜

My reference points are the rear of the original 1FZ head. And centerline of the engine. Goal being to keep the engine as low and rearward as possible.

I'm utilizing the original trans crossmember and the lower portion of the mount. After mounting an oem chevy mount, and 1" tube to help offset the bolts to the rear, I still needed some vertical offset, and the original FJ80 mount fit tge bill. Factory crossmember and the chevy mount result in a 1"offset to the drivers side.

Troublespot is the left exhaust flange. I'm having to raise the front of the engine more than I had hoped, but don't really want to scallop into my frame rail to gain the clearance.

I've looked through a few pages of this thread, but haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for. I just wonder what others think of this engine position and mounting. Keep in mind tge L8T is just over 400hp.

There will be some boxing and gussets of those mounts. And the front of the engine is centered. So the engine is not quite parallel to the frame, providing it is symmetrical.

20230625_115212.jpg

20230625_114837.jpg

20230625_114850.jpg

20230625_120830.jpg

20230625_120952.jpg

I am using these mounts because he already did all the hard work figuring out where they need to go.

So I'm finalizing my L8T engine location in my FJ80 frame, but I don't have a body for reference 😜

My reference points are the rear of the original 1FZ head. And centerline of the engine. Goal being to keep the engine as low and rearward as possible.

I'm utilizing the original trans crossmember and the lower portion of the mount. After mounting an oem chevy mount, and 1" tube to help offset the bolts to the rear, I still needed some vertical offset, and the original FJ80 mount fit tge bill. Factory crossmember and the chevy mount result in a 1"offset to the drivers side.

Troublespot is the left exhaust flange. I'm having to raise the front of the engine more than I had hoped, but don't really want to scallop into my frame rail to gain the clearance.

I've looked through a few pages of this thread, but haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for. I just wonder what others think of this engine position and mounting. Keep in mind tge L8T is just over 400hp.

There will be some boxing and gussets of those mounts. And the front of the engine is centered. So the engine is not quite parallel to the frame, providing it is symmetrical.

View attachment 3357570

View attachment 3357571

View attachment 3357572

View attachment 3357573

View attachment 3357574
In my opinion you really need the body on the frame to do this.

In my opinion you really need the body on the frame to do this.
I hear you. But I'm in Ohio with the FJ80 chassis and the FJ60 body is in moab. 😲

Surely someone has a measurement or two from the very front crossmember to the engine damper.

I too suggest you have the 60 body on the 80 frame...
With that said.....

Hooker headers (if you haven't) will keep you away from the frame rails and possibly have engine sit lower.

At the time i used Cámaro E Manifolds

20190714_082808.jpg

20190714_082754.jpg

Guys, he has a Gen 5.

Couple pieces of advice. 100% absolutely skip that style motor mount. They are OK for about a year and then you will blow the bushings out. Not only from my experience but others as well. Think about the actual surface area between the bolt and bushing, contact, it's the size of a pencil. Those are for race/drift cars that don't have lot of chassis flex and have high upkeep.

If you choose to ignore this advice and keep going with that style, those short tabs will rip off the frame eventually. Whatever you do needs to be plated and use the entire height of the frame rail.

Theoretically you could buy Gen 3/4 to Gen 5 adapter plates and use my kit but you would probably be better off just fabbing brackets to use the Gen 5 truck mount designed for your block.

@ceylonfj40nut is in the middle of a 60/80/LS and will probably be able to give you measurement soon but he is using Gen 3/4 so keep that in mind. I would still follow the others advice and wait till you have the body.

Been doing some pricing on an LS Swap for the ol girl. Anyone have any recommendations for places in TX? I just talked to a guy from Texas LS Solutions in Dallas. Found their shop on FB Marketplace

Guys, he has a Gen 5.

Couple pieces of advice. 100% absolutely skip that style motor mount. They are OK for about a year and then you will blow the bushings out. Not only from my experience but others as well. Think about the actual surface area between the bolt and bushing, contact, it's the size of a pencil. Those are for race/drift cars that don't have lot of chassis flex and have high upkeep.

If you choose to ignore this advice and keep going with that style, those short tabs will rip off the frame eventually. Whatever you do needs to be plated and use the entire height of the frame rail.

Theoretically you could buy Gen 3/4 to Gen 5 adapter plates and use my kit but you would probably be better off just fabbing brackets to use the Gen 5 truck mount designed for your block.

@ceylonfj40nut is in the middle of a 60/80/LS and will probably be able to give you measurement soon but he is using Gen 3/4 so keep that in mind. I would still follow the others advice and wait till you have the body.

I am not there yet. Still getting body mounts fabbed and then tacked. LM7/4L60E/80 transfer case. I can share when I get there. Echo others, get the body on frame. Lots of things to triangulate. It has helped me tremendously to keep front clip on the body as I separated it from the 60 chassis. Some folks cut down the rear pinch welds on the 60 body to lower the body closer to the chassis, i did not want to do this. My body will sit higher. Just to note. With this height difference i may have more firewall movement clearance due to the engine firewall identation shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom