Builds My 1993 FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will track my build. This is my first truck, so I'm learning certain things as I go. I don't plan on doing anything crazy just yet, so it will be somewhat slow at first. I've got a lot of experience with Megasquirt EFI(full conversion on my old Scirocco 16v. Made a HUGE difference). BUT, I'm not sure if I'm going to do a motor swap down the road or stick to the 1FZ-FE... upgrade parts for the 1FZ-FE are bloody expensive for the performance vs $ ratio and I might do a Gen V LS swap instead... still not sure, but we'll leave that for a later time.

Plans:

- Install Pacemaker header
- Fab up exhaust(2.5" mandrel bent with magnaflow 12286)
- Gasket match intake manifold
- Front axle rebuild with new Birfs(already purchased)
- Backup flood light(for Yodateq mount)
- OME 2.5" with caster plates (already purchased)
- Front and rear bumpers(probably just going to make these, considering the cost. We'll see)
- Rear spare relocated to rear bumper
- Sliders(might make these, not sure yet)
- Pin 7 mod
- Install Smittybilt x20 10k winch(already purchased)
- Upgrade injectors to 4-hole spray(already purchased)
- Port match intake manifold(extra manifold purchased)
- Install speaker amplifier
- Maybe a subwoofer, not sure yet since space is important
- Install Wired Wagon relay/fuse panel
- Install 4x led flood lights on the roof racks
- Replace ARB turn signal with 1x6 led lights
- Install front Stoptech rotors and Hawk HPS pads
- Install new headlights with LED lamps
- Install h3 hid kit into off-road lights
- Install 1" MAF spacers in front and back(already purchased)
- Replace starter solenoid plug housing
- Install rear Stoptech rotors, Hawk HPS pads and new E-Brake shoes
- Perform spare tire mod to tuck it up higher into the frame for more ground clearance
- Install new oxygen sensors
- Install front light bar
- Rewire battery with Military terminals
- Upgrade the ground cable to 0 gauge and run an extra cable from the motor to the chassis
- Replace the positive battery cable with a larger one
- Upgrade alternator to Sequoia 150a
- 6.5" Kicker Speakers front and rear doors
- 7" screen stereo
- 6.5" CDT component speakers
- Troubleshoot door switches

Done already:

- 33" BFG KM2 tires
- 16" MB 352 wheels
- Transmission flush with Redline D6
- Diff fluid change to Redline 75w-90
- Synthetic Rotella 5w-40 oil
- Yodateq dual cb antenna mounts(1 for a light and 1 for an antenna)
- CB installed
- Rear mud flaps removed(1 got ripped off on my camping trip lol, so I just removed the other one)
- Alpine single din stereo
- Pioneer 4100nex head unit
- Kicker 6.5" speakers front and rear door
- ARB Winch Bumper

It started out like this:

Y6FN14a.jpg

And this is where I'm at currently:

5ZiKLwA.jpg

Some pics from my labor day weekend camping trip:

FfOv3ae.jpg

Ch6Bib1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

I ordered an extra intake manifold so I can play around with port matching it without disabling the truck in the meantime. Gaskets are already purchased, so I just have to wait until that gets here to start playing with it.

I got my military grade battery terminal kit yesterday and will hopefully be able to start on that tonight. The ground cable is pathetically small, so that will change. ;)

Yes, do not call it "The Beast". DoucheWagon?:meh:

Maybe "Crack Rock":smokin:.....It is white after all. Also extremely addicting and expensive :hmm:

But in the mean time........

Image-1.jpg

like 10% of cruiser owners call their cruiser "the beast" - come up with something more whimsical if possible

Yeah, be original, call it Elsie :flipoff2:

Nice rig by the way, from a fellow '93 owner...

The Beast it is....... Looks great so far. White and Moonglow are my fav colors.

Welcome to your new favorite thing. Looking forward to your progress

I appreciate the input, but I won't be changing her nickname based on what other people do or don't call their cruiser.

Yup. Beast it is.
Nickname for mine is Clifford. It's a Big. Red. Dog. Not very macho, a few looks from those I share that with. A little juvenile, maybe bit it is after all, a toy...... Kinda.

I'm about to monstaliner mine a color change to the proper color this winter. White. May have to re-nickname it.
Snowflake?
Winter pixy?
The albino bitch?

Oh, and consider just leaving the engine alone. Nuttin you do, other than a SC or turbo is going to make a difference in performance. And Mr. T did a darn good job as it is. I consider my mechanics kinda like sacred ground. I don't mess with it. Consider it.

I can't just leave the engine alone. It's just not possible for me haha. Anything I drive gets upgraded. I doubled the power in my Scirocco, bumped the audi up +100tq and +60hp. The truck is pretty wimpy on power. I plan on documenting my mods, though. Anything I do for engine performance will get dyno'd before and after.

I can't just leave the engine alone. It's just not possible for me haha. Anything I drive gets upgraded. I doubled the power in my Scirocco, bumped the audi up +100tq and +60hp. The truck is pretty wimpy on power. I plan on documenting my mods, though. Anything I do for engine performance will get dyno'd before and after.
Welcome the addiction. I think you will have a lot of fun with your 80. Many guys are caught up in the "more power" thing. Landcruisers have always been slow, lumbering beasts that shine off road and for me that's just one more thing about Landcruiser ownership we can learn to appreciate.
If more power is really important to you then I suggest skipping upgrades for the 1fz and go straight to V8 swap. A newer GM power train will net you much more power and better MPG not to mention it will be supported for years to come. Personally, I'm not in a hurry like I once was so I will squeeze every mile I can out of my 1fz/A442f. I look forward to following your progress. Cheers!

My only gripe about the power is going up Mt. Hood loaded down with camping gear and other stuff. I can floor it and it still loses speed going up the mountain. I don't expect it to be fast, but I do expect it to actually be able to haul gear when I take it places. After all, that's what I bought it for. Then if I put a front bumper, sliders + rear bumper on it, it will absolutely need more power. How I'm going to do that yet, I don't know. I'm thinking about just throwing Megasquirt on it and get it dialed in with 92 octane. Then I'll be ready for a turbo setup. Or I could go v8 and use the megasquirt on that as well. Then turbo the v8? lol

My only gripe about the power is going up Mt. Hood loaded down with camping gear and other stuff. I can floor it and it still loses speed going up the mountain. I don't expect it to be fast, but I do expect it to actually be able to haul gear when I take it places. After all, that's what I bought it for. Then if I put a front bumper, sliders + rear bumper on it, it will absolutely need more power. How I'm going to do that yet, I don't know. I'm thinking about just throwing Megasquirt on it and get it dialed in with 92 octane. Then I'll be ready for a turbo setup. Or I could go v8 and use the megasquirt on that as well. Then turbo the v8? lol
Use your gears. Re-gear. I drive to Hood as well and never seemed to be an issue, armor and all.

I hear you about the mods. It may be easier and cheaper, if you have the money now-in one shot- and the experience to do it,,,,,,, just replace the engine with a crate V-8.
You seem to know more about engine builds than most. But we know the 80. Even with a SC they are not going to be fast.
I still say keep it stock and spend the engine money on the buggy you tow behind it.... But of course the buggy will slow you down so much you'll need more power.......
Fine.
Get out the Amex.....
We've lost another one to the dark side....

Alright, I haven't posted here in a while due to a combination of things going on in life... but I've done quite a few things to The Beast since posting last:

ARB Winch bumper(xmas gift)
Pioneer 4100nex stereo
6.5" Kicker speakers up front(and soon to be in the rear doors as well)
Upgraded the battery ground to 0 gauge(Wow! The starter spins a LOT faster now and the idle has smoothed out as well.)
Upgraded the battery terminals to Military spec ones(from amazon)
LED dome lights
LED backup lights

I did buy a Smittybilt X20 10k winch, but haven't had the time to install it yet. One of the things that will need to be upgraded before I install it is the suspension. I have some 30mm spacers that I might use for now, but I'm not sure yet.

I bought another intake manifold that I was going to gasket-match for the injector install, but I haven't had the time to do this because the truck is now my daily driver. The heater-core in my Audi is clogged and I haven't had time to fix that.

On monday I took the time to investigate the infamous sunroof leak. Turned out the front passenger drain was clogged, so I cleaned it out with a wire + air compressor. The driver front and rear drain were fine. The passenger rear drain was kinked and pissed water all over me when I removed the clamp. I tweaked it back to being round again, but will be replacing it in the future with a new hose.

Bonus "before the bumper" beach picture:

wu6tSKU.jpg

Some shots before upgrading the terminals and ground:
n7ZU2yo.jpg

aPFLjeb.jpg

The best wire cutters I've ever used. They cut through 0 gauge like its nothing:
36sMnGT.jpg

After:
waNBYan.jpg

Terminals soldered using a small butane torch:
pO4aHHf.jpg

Bumper install was super easy:
uBwZGQR.jpg

8BLaj6p.jpg

After having some fun:
KYR6aT8.jpg

Next up will probably be the winch, suspension or a combination of both. Although I'm thinking about mounting a 28" led bar above my Harbor Freight lights...

like 10% of cruiser owners call their cruiser "the beast" - come up with something more whimsical if possible
Really? Too late for me.

Small update.... I got the rear speakers installed and wired a switch to my stereo's ignition wire(It doesn't have an on/off button like most stereos and you have to remove the detachable face to "turn it off." I could of just wired it to my ignition, but I wanted the capability of using it without the keys, especially when camping.)

Door panel off. The speaker is pathetically small.
8XfKrRW.jpg

Speaker removed.
l88EGay.jpg

A fine-toothed jig saw blade makes this a cinch to cut.
snDC2Qc.jpg

The door panel is a little small, so it'll have to be opened up a little bit to fit the 6.5" speaker.
GATNgZH.jpg

All cut with the jig saw.
nAjCAjb.jpg

1/2" spacer mounted.
8RDk4cK.jpg

And the finished product.
gyuz9zj.jpg

These speakers sound amazing for $50. They don't compare to my CDT speakers I have in my Audi, but those were $170. For $50, you can't go wrong with these Kickers. Great bass as well.

great work so far, looking good! Keep posting pics of the Beast.

Nice job from a fellow white '93 owner...when u gonna ditch the running boards?
Shiny white LC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom