Registry 80 Series Registry (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all,

Also a newbie :) Bought a '96 at auction through a mechanic family friend last November and baselined it as much as I could with my dad as a project car; it's now pretty much solid and I'm just about ready to do some upgrades, learning as I go. The truck is definitely keeping me humble so far. Been lurking on IH8MUD since we got it and am beyond grateful for all the info on the site, thought I should finally make an account.

1. Year and model: '96 FZJ80
2. Name of owner: OK Mattezai
3. Name of rig: Khalil
4. Mileage: 247k
5. Mods: Just a rearview mirror cam/dash cam unit; purchased recently and focused on baselining, about ready for upgrades
6. How the truck is used: Overlanding, offroading, especially to national parks on the West Coast
7. Photos below:

OKM01206-2.jpg

OKM01368-2.jpg

OKM01375-2.jpg

NOOB post:
After extensively searching for a FJ40, then a FJ60 I was finally shown the light by a close friend with some off road knowledge. I happily purchased my 1994 FJ80 from him apx a year ago and he began to do his magic. Big red has been in the shop for the past 12 months getting worked over from the top down. New paint, new interior, new sound, entertainment system, leather seats, LED lighting, upgraded armor front-rear-side, and more to come. I am thankful to be apart of this forum and I look forward to being able to provide as much benefit as you all will inevitably provide me. Lots of experience here and I plan to take notes.

1. 1994 80 series
2. Owner- Cris
3. Veh- Big red
4. 277k and going...
5. MOD's- Current in shop for OME 2'' lift, 4x4 Labs front & rear bumpers, rocky road sliders, Factory triple locked. Plenty more planned
6. Use- Daily driver as well as weekend adventures with family and friends.

IMG_3056.jpeg

NOOB post:
After extensively searching for a FJ40, then a FJ60 I was finally shown the light by a close friend with some off road knowledge. I happily purchased my 1994 FJ80 from him apx a year ago and he began to do his magic. Big red has been in the shop for the past 12 months getting worked over from the top down. New paint, new interior, new sound, entertainment system, leather seats, LED lighting, upgraded armor front-rear-side, and more to come. I am thankful to be apart of this forum and I look forward to being able to provide as much benefit as you all will inevitably provide me. Lots of experience here and I plan to take notes.

1. 1994 80 series
2. Owner- Cris
3. Veh- Big red
4. 277k and going...
5. MOD's- Current in shop for OME 2'' lift, 4x4 Labs front & rear bumpers, rocky road sliders, Factory triple locked. Plenty more planned
6. Use- Daily driver as well as weekend adventures with family and friends.

View attachment 3249182
Wow! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. You bought her a year ago and she's been in the shop since??? That is a lot of patience and dedication. Looking forward to your build thread, before and afters, etc. Love the 3H4; welcome!

Wow! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. You bought her a year ago and she's been in the shop since??? That is a lot of patience and dedication. Looking forward to your build thread, before and afters, etc. Love the 3H4; welcome!
Yes. Patience is one word to use. Hahaha. Luckily not my daily driver at the moment. Will happily post the after pics once complete. This color scheme is goal. Red on grey steal rims with grey interior.

C4C2D11A-E4AD-4A59-A4D7-FDFDEA52F409.jpeg

Yes. Patience is one word to use. Hahaha. Luckily not my daily driver at the moment. Will happily post the after pics once complete. This color scheme is goal. Red on grey steal rims with grey interior.

View attachment 3249389
93-94 is a special group! Welcome :flipoff2:

"Seen the light"??? No. I think not. Wake up Man!
You should ALSO have an FJ40 and FJ60.

NOT "or"!!! AND!!!

1. Year and model: 1995 HDJ81 - 1HD-FT turbo diesel, RHD
2. Name of owner: overpakd
3. Name of rig: Fifty Shades (aka Shade)
4. Mileage: 231K km (143.5K miles)
5. Mods: From previous ownership: 2.5-3" lift, 315/75r16, matte gray, JDM aftermarket head unit and backup camera
6. How the truck is used: Baselining and then will be an overland/camping/adventure mobile and infrequent DD
7. Photos:
View attachment 3202130
View attachment 3202131
View attachment 3202136
Where does one source those headlights?

New to the Forum, new to Land Cruisers and also trucks in general. Before picking this up, I mostly had light, fun and tossable cars but I've always admired the 80 series and wanted to own one. Can't wait to take this to the beach in the summer!
1. Year and model: 1994 HDJ81 VX Limited
2. Name of owner: cybercruiser
3. Name of rig: TBD
4. Mileage: 237k km
5. Mods: Added rearview camera without making any new holes, changed out old japanese head unit and old aftermarket speakers with new ones. Purchased with old aftermarket suspension and aftermarket lights. Plan to restore to stock as much as possible except for the speakers, might upgrade to bigger tires.
6. How the truck is used: Exploring and trips, occasionally for errands
7. Photos below:

PXL_20230218_202448195~2.jpg

Lurking since 9/2021 on the forum when I picked up this cherry. I drove its identical twin to high school (2002-2005), so it was a complete impulse/nostalgia buy. I am the second documented owner. It was bought new in California, serviced and traded in at the same dealer its entire life. Has 171K miles on it now. No rust, no accidents and a pristine cloth interior. Working on replacing the few worn out items and restoring her to her former glory, biggest issue is non-existent clear coat from the CA sun.
1. Year and model: 1994 FHZJ80
2. Name of owner: Ajjensen
3. Name of rig: Lauren
4. Mileage: 171K Miles (currently)
5. Mods: LED instrument cluster lights and adding a CarPlay radio (in progress)
6. How the truck is used: Exploring the Northwoods of Wisconsin, weekend trips, mall crawler
7. Photos below:

tempImage5F4erR.png

D8D570FB-5A0D-408E-BC8D-888B0D358E98.jpg

tempImageyvPUy8.png

tempImagenXuL98.jpg

tempImageJ6OSij.png

Where does one source those headlights?
Sorry, just saw this. I can't help unfortunately as they came with the rig. That said, these exact lights are JDM/RHD spec, so the high side cutoff is on the left side, which is not good for NA/LHD roads. I've adjusted them way down to keep from blinding oncoming traffic with low beams and they're still sufficiently lighting the road, but I'll probably eventually replace them.

Sorry, just saw this. I can't help unfortunately as they came with the rig. That said, these exact lights are JDM/RHD spec, so the high side cutoff is on the left side, which is not good for NA/LHD roads. I've adjusted them way down to keep from blinding oncoming traffic with low beams and they're still sufficiently lighting the road, but I'll probably eventually replace them.
Thanks!

Thought I would make a proper introduction. Just had my first post over in the 40 sub since I'm a local Dallas guy looking for a mechanic/local shop. Don't have a 40. Well not yet lol. Bought my 80 in November of last year. It's in great condition but my CEL light popped on few weeks after driving. Dreaded p0401 code. Took to local mechanic/shop and they quoted me like $1700 for new egr valve and intake/tb cleaning of carbon buildup from bad egr. Told shop I would pick it up and give it a go myself. Local buddy with an 80 turned me on to mud. Shy guy and rarely post on forums. So I've been lurking for a while building up my knowledge base. I came into this blind not knowing much at all but I'm determined.

1. Year and model: 1997 FZJ80
  2. Name of owner: Some call me Ron. Also known as Will in other parts.
  3. Name of rig: White Hot Mama
  4. Location: Dallas, TX (east dallas/lake highlands)
  5. Mileage: 178k
  6. How truck is used: Daily driver, overlanding, offroading (gotta be honest never done the latter two but plan to. Lol. Complete newb here. Mechanically too. But thrilled to be on this journey)
  7. Mods: Haven't added any yet. PO had done quite a bit of restoration work. Mechanically truck seems to be really sound as well. He put on a bp51 old man emu lift kit too. Except for the p0401 no issues. Everything sounds great, etc. I hesitate saying that because I swear I will jinx myself. But prepared and have a backup vehicle in case this is out of service for extended periods of time. My first job is going to be cleaning intake and tb and doing the entire egr job. Found some great threads on here which give me confidence.
Anyways, gotta run. Look forward to chatting and so happy to be a part of this community. Will get more pics up later but will post these few.

Drivewaylc.jpg

Welcome Ron-Will!

Welcome to MUD !!!
You need to find your local club, and or shop that know Land Cruisers.
Most shops don't want to work on these old truck. My guess is your truck doesn't need as much as you think.
Theirs a lot of knowledgeable Land Cruiser Guys in Texas. Local club well help you find them ;)

Welcome to MUD !!!
You need to find your local club, and or shop that know Land Cruisers.
Most shops don't want to work on these old truck. My guess is your truck doesn't need as much as you think.
Theirs a lot of knowledgeable Land Cruiser Guys in Texas. Local club well help you find them ;)
Thanks Broski. Glad to be here!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom