Builds Whitey Forty - Tilda Bogue Service Station (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent an hour this morning divesting myself of a couple of 60s I bought last year to part out. After dicking with one parts Cruiser and the cost of shipping and the hassle and the unreasonable jackasses I decided I’m out of the used parts business.
IMG_8624.jpeg

Then I spent an hour getting this rediculous shackle reversal cut off.

I like how the jackass that built this truck did not know the bumper supports went under the bumper and not on top. Maybe having to stack 4 washers on the bottom side should have been a hint

IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8627.jpeg

All gone. New steel should be here Monday from Man A Fre to get the front back in place
IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8629.jpeg

The parts soaked overnight in Zepp Purple full strength and all the goop came off nice and clean this morning
IMG_8630.jpeg

Front axle. Man. More flakey paint removal
IMG_8631.jpeg
IMG_8632.jpeg

Finally, cleaning the 3.70s I purchased for the project

IMG_8633.jpeg

I can't read the sidewall. Are these TSL Super Swampers or? Happen to remember the size?

Sorry to pull you away from the wizardry.
34x10.50-15 TSL

Thanks! Been looking at those for a while.
Put them on both of these too. Red truck is 16” wheel. Tan is 15”

They are loud but so bad ass

3E6E552B-3880-4C8F-95C2-0B23E09A5955.jpeg

IMG_8182.jpeg

Have I vented about the Colorado Colombian that must have built this truck yet today?

Please don’t glue your paper and cork gaskets on your axle.

Please. That turns a 15 minute scrape and clean into a multi tool hour long job

IMG_8637.jpeg

Had to really bear down on these to get the crust off from the chrome caps but they came clean.
IMG_8639.jpeg

Got it all in the paint booth
IMG_8640.jpeg

First coat down of the $15 a can paint
IMG_8641.jpeg

While that’s drying I stabbed the 3.70. As I always say, put the one you get from the FRONT of the donor cruiser into the rear of the receiving vehicle because they almost never have any wear. With the hubs unlocked it just sits there and stays nice and new

IMG_8642.jpeg

In the whole, while I’m in here theme, I removed and replaced the 46 year old rear bearings.
One side was a snap.
IMG_8644.jpeg

Second side was the “broken bolt” moment you always dread
IMG_8645.jpeg

The passenger side popped apart and left the outer ring in place.
IMG_8646.jpeg

I ended up having to take the next size up bearing puller and grinding it down to fit. The washer was too small so I could get one good hit with the slide hammer before I had to reset it. Finally it came out. Crazy.
IMG_8647.jpeg

Installed the axles and C Clips. Cover. Metric Overland stainless hardware.
IMG_8648.jpeg

Next I added the Dobinsons IMS shocks. Absolutely the best fj40 shocks by a wide margin.
IMG_8649.jpeg

Finally I added a new pinion seal and flange to convert the driveshaft pattern from the FJ60 pattern to the late FJ40 pattern.
IMG_8650.jpeg

Disc brake kit and fluids tomorrow and the rear will be done

Man I need to hit Georg up for one of those

No one in town had the rotors. 60 series stuff stocked everywhere but not the bolt in 40 style. Had to order OEM.
Picked up the silver stuff from PowderKeg. Dropped off a little more black stuff.
Got home and added the caster shims to the front springs. Gasket and new cap to the valve cover. I like to add a dab of FIGP to the corners of the valve cover gasket so it stays in place when valves are adjusted.

Added the thermo housing that was blasted and powdered. New OEM guts.

New Aisin water pump PN WOT-028 for oil cooler style.

Did the oil galley plug and air rail plugs.

Tomorrow I should be able to get a lot done with the latest parts box that landed

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8673.jpeg

What is the lower threaded port on the t-stat housing? Never seen that sensor before.

California smog garbage

It’s getting plugged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom