Front Seats Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a set of Corbeau seats in my FJ40 and was considering going back with the original style seats. I think I have most of the needed parts ….. although the bottom pans probably won’t make it and might cause me to get tetanus shot !!!!

Does it look like anything else I’m missing to move forward ? I also have most of the bolts and nuts.

Any good place to locate the bottom pans ?

IMG_2118.jpeg

What's your plan for foam? I have the original buckets with Cruiser Corps covers but there is zero support and they're really uncomfortable after the 30 mins or so. I'm debating trying to do new foam or going corbeau or even Scheelman if I win lotto.

I'm toying with the idea of using the foam from an 80 series manual seat and trimming it to fit. I redid my DS on the 80 in a half day and the new foam was night and day better than the old. Need to take some measurements and decide if I'm going for it, $180 for the seat bottom foam and my covers are fine.

@77mustard40 check this thread re: foam and more. I haven't done this yet, but @letterman52 sourced theirs from www.bestwayfoam.com and it's a hell of a lot less than $180.

I think that's for the
@77mustard40 check this thread re: foam and more. I haven't done this yet, but @letterman52 sourced theirs from www.bestwayfoam.com and it's a hell of a lot less than $180.

I think that's for the older 40s with the bench seats? They would seem easier to re-foam than the buckets. I was wondering about foam from other toyota models. Gotta imagine there's a carolla or something that would work.

Just got my seats back from sandblasting / powder coating. I welded supports on the bottom of the pans as the rust was pretty bad on the bottoms but the sides where the brackets mount are solid.

IMG_2859.jpeg

I’m looking at the foam / covers kits from SOR ….. I may also talk with a local upholstery shop just to compare pricing. I really like the color on this set for the front a rear

IMG_2861.jpeg
IMG_2862.jpeg

I have the mounts for the seats…. Are there any other items I’m missing to complete the swap?
IMG_2118.jpeg

Just got my seats back from sandblasting / powder coating. I welded supports on the bottom of the pans as the rust was pretty bad on the bottoms but the sides where the brackets mount are solid.

View attachment 3602441

I’m looking at the foam / covers kits from SOR ….. I may also talk with a local upholstery shop just to compare pricing. I really like the color on this set for the front a rear

View attachment 3602437View attachment 3602438

I have the mounts for the seats…. Are there any other items I’m missing to complete the swap?
View attachment 3602445
While you are in there you may think about throwing in some heated seats pads. I did it with my front sheet restoration and it's a nice upgrade. I live in Alaska however so it's cold for much of the year.

Apart from that I'm not seeing anything that you are missing besides the covers, foam (old or new) and the hog rings or HD zip ties.

Headrest? Some have it, some don't.

I take that back. You are missing the left support for the drivers seat. Goes on the front left side of the driver's seat and bolts to the floor.

I currently have a set of Corbeau seats in my FJ40 and was considering going back with the original style seats. I think I have most of the needed parts ….. although the bottom pans probably won’t make it and might cause me to get tetanus shot !!!!

Does it look like anything else I’m missing to move forward ? I also have most of the bolts and nuts.

View attachment 3560763
You need this piece

IMG_7668.jpeg

View attachment 3560763
I have a thread from October when I raised mine. There may be some useful information and images that could help.

View attachment 3602441

View attachment 3602437View attachment 3602438

View attachment 3602445
Does SOR sell foam for the buckets? I thought it was just for the bench.

SOR has the new seat foam which makes a huge difference. I also like their seat covers the best. Just need to rob bank or work a lot of overtime before you purchase. Once you get over sticker shock of foam and seat cover prices, then they hit you with shipping. But... IMO they are the best. HTH

Missing all four rear mounts as well.
Also in the sor bottoms are awesome, and they need to be to cushion you after paying for shipping.

Here are my current mounts

Driver——

IMG_2876.jpeg
IMG_2877.jpeg
IMG_2875.jpeg
IMG_2878.jpeg

Passenger—-
IMG_2879.jpeg
IMG_2880.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg
IMG_2882.jpeg

Looks like the missing parts from you earlier photos are in your Cruiser already.

20240409_182024.jpg
I did this last year. I too decided to bite the bullet on the SOR seat foam and upholstery kit. It was spendy for sure but I haven't regretted it for a minute. The seat foams are nice!

I need to locate headrest as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom